General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 29m 21s
Overall Rank = 293/727
Age Group = Clydesdales
Age Group Rank = 23/40
Pre-race routine:

My first tri. Arrived Friday afternoon. Found out that my rental wet-suit was still in Houston - decided to buy. Spent time with wife, kid, and in-laws. Tried to sleep through the night. Was up every two hours. Arrived at check in at 5:00. Got body marked, racked bike, went through getting everything were it needed to be about 15 times. Met another BTer right next to me and spent the rest of the morning talking with him.
Event warmup:

Put on wetsuit, went out to test the temp of the water swam maybe 100 yards.
Swim
  • 13m 46s
  • 550 yards
  • 02m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was okay. I tried to start near the back of my wave and off to the right side so as not to get kicked, crawled on, etc... However, that didn't matter much. At one point I looked up and saw a lifeguard chasing me on a surfboard telling me I needed to go back towards the paddle boat. I must have swam close to 100 yards out of my way. Oops. I will get better at that next time.
What would you do differently?:

I would try to learn to get my bearings and check where I am at more often. Learn to draft in water.
Transition 1
  • 04m 45s
Comments:

Being my first tri I took some time in the transition. I put on my socks, shoes and jersey. This probably cost me some time, but it is okay. Now, I know where I can cut a few minutes next time.

learn to move quicker in transition
Bike
  • 41m 23s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 18.12 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike is my best event. I really enjoy biking, but I enjoy it so much more when biking with others than by myself. It was good. Felt great, passed several people only passed by a few people. Did the best on keeping hydrated and eating before I was thristy or hungry. This has been my biggest problems when doing rides before

Try and push a little harder. I was too worried about wearing myself out and bonking on the run
Transition 2
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

I never thought about trying to take my feet out of my shoes early. This would have helped my time. I also took some time to change out of my bike socks into running socks. My bike socks are way to low when running and they cut into my heels. Maybe if I found some higher bike socks this would fix that problem.

try and find some different socks
Run
  • 27m 37s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Running is my weakest link. In training I was running around 9:20-9:30 miles. I expected that time to go down on the run due to me not being on a treadmill. It actually imporved which I was shocked at because I didn't feel like I was moving that fast. Not only that but I walked maybe 4 times for about 30 seconds each time. Unfortunately for me I was rounding the last turn of the run to the finish when the skies opened up. I was drenched by the time I reached the finish line. The whole family there watching was drenched along with all the cameras, which means no finishing pictures.

Run harder. I didn't feel tired or exhausted after the run or the race on a whole. Next time I might push a little harder in each event.
Post race
Warm down:

None, run to tent for cover, leave family to put all my soaking wet gear in the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not pushing hard enough. Maybe not enough traning. I only trained for about 4 months serouisly and then maybe 2 months before that causually.

Event comments:

This is my first tri. I throughly enjoyed it. Next time I will try a few different things to maybe cut 3-5 mins off of my time.
I ended up in the Hospital emergency room Saturday night Sunday morning. Went in around 1:00 am with horrible stomach pains. Come to find out I had a pretty bad intestinal infection. Having two days mandatory bed rest has given me time to think about this event. During my ride my stomach started cramping. Not usual for me. Wonder if that was a beginning symptom of my infection. However, I am hooked. Once I recover fully I think I will be more excited about participating in my next event. Maybe it won't rain at the end.

Last updated: 2007-04-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:46 | 550 yards | 02m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/40
Overall: 274/727
Performance: Good
Suit: zoot sleeveless
Course: straight out past paddle boat and then turn left to finish
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:41:23 | 12.5 miles | 18.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/40
Overall: 206/727
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: out and back down seawall. Generally a good course. Lots of volunteers blocking traffic.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 89
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:37 | 03 miles | 09m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/40
Overall: 389/727
Performance: Average
Course: looping course through moody gardens. 99% paved 1% dirt. a few small hills, lots and lots of volunteers. Evening two cheering squads.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-04-02 3:37 PM

Subject: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint

2007-04-02 5:54 PM
in reply to: #746138

User image

Pro
Evanston,
Subject: RE: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint
Congratulations TRIATHLETE!  You raced smart and fast.  Way to go. 
2007-04-03 2:19 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Well done, triathlete! Great first race. You

2007-04-03 2:23 PM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Great job on your first race! Congratulations Triathlete!
2007-04-03 2:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
DFW Metroplex
Good job.  Good swim pace, good bike speed, good run pace.  Great race.  Congratulations.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint Rss Feed