Chalmette Track Club
80F / 27C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 03m 16s
Overall Rank = 44/146
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:40, showered, and ate penutbutter toast and a banana. I was going to bring my older bike because the forecast was expecting rain, but I brought the Caliente anyway. Arrived at event at 7:20.
Event warmup:

Stretched.Rode bike about 6 min, then jogged about 6 min. Stretched again. Ate a Gu.
Run
  • 15m 21s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I don't like these straight runs. They seem so long and feel like they will never end. I could see the transition area easily but I still had 3/4 of a mile to go. Mile split was 7:34. I was hoping to run a little faster but I found it difficult to pace myself and the humidity was getting to me.
What would you do differently?:

I was just coming back from a cold. I felt okay race moring but the last few training days before I was slacking.
Transition 1
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Fairly smooth transition for the set up. Transition was between the 2 highway roads in the grass. It dipped like a ditch. The grass was long with clovers everywhere and it was wet. It was long transition too. My bike was in the middle of the rack and the racks were pretty cluttered.

I would change pedals and not wear my bike shoes and clip pedals. I think I could have saved about 20 seconds just wearing my tennis shoes.
Bike
  • 29m 48s
  • 10 miles
  • 20.13 mile/hr
Comments:

Drank about 50 oz or so from my areo drink. This was a must add on to my bike and found that I hydrated better and saved some time using it.

Ride more.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Same at T1. Oddly the same time too.

Wear tennis shoes
Run
  • 16m 20s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt like I was running out of fuel on the way in. I didnt take in many carbs on the bike, a little gatorade, and that was about it. I should have eaten a Gu. I passed 2 people and was passed once. Passed one on the sprint to the finish. For some reason in all my races I get that last one on the final sprint.

Take in a Gu on the end of the bike for some energy.
Post race
Warm down:

went to gather up my stuff and bike because it was drissiling. Ate some red beans and rice and drank a few beers. I seen a few people I knew. Leon Perret's brother steve, who use to race mountain bike professionally. I seen tiffany and he husband Mike who just got new bike and this was there 1st Du. Mike did real good. H got 18th overall and averaged 22mph on the bike.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Second run should have been faster. I think pushing a little harder on the bike and not taking anything in slowed me down.

Event comments:

I got 3rd in my age group and went home with a little trophy. They hold another race in September and I am looking forward to that one.

Last updated: 2007-03-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:15:21 | 02 miles | 07m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/146
Performance: Average
Course: Flat straight run on the highway with one turn out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:53
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:29:48 | 10 miles | 20.13 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Real smooth with little wind. Averaging about 22-24 going out with small tailwind. The coarse added a bridge that they made us cross 4 times. I think this got to some people. I heard a lot of people complaining about this. However, I think it was to my advantage because I ended up passing a few people. I believe I was only passed once or twice the whole coarse. I was fairly satisfied with this ride.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:16:20 | 02 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: same run as the 1st one. However it started raining hard when I started. It didn't last long though.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-02 3:51 PM

Veteran
Subject: Pelicanman Duathlon

2007-04-02 8:14 PM
in reply to: #746166

User image

Veteran
Ida, Michigan
Subject: RE: Pelicanman Duathlon
Congratulations on the hardware.  Very solid race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pelicanman Duathlon Rss Feed