Extremely unsatisfied in career situation3 Votes - [2.33%]
Student/Home maker/Not currently employed9 Votes - [6.98%]

2007-04-03 3:48 PM
in reply to: #747191

User image

Master
Kauai, Hawaii
Subject: RE: Triathlon and your career

haygosl - 2007-04-03 7:12 AM college student... I hate my major, so does that count?

Yes it does count! You are supposed to get a job in that field! Change your major it is never too late!  I changed mine a couple times and even went back to become a nurse after my first degree!

Edited by tritwinmom 2007-04-03 3:48 PM

2007-04-03 4:13 PM
in reply to: #746679

User image

Elite
the desert
I put down 'somewhat satisfied', although it could be very satisfied. I feel that I could be doing more. However, if I was doing more, I probably wouldn't have the time or energy for training. I ususally workout at 5am or 5:30, so I can still get to work even though I have no scheduled hours and can telecommute.

I am in sales and therefore competitve, but I don't necessarily see any correlations between triathlon and career. Very interesting post to see the various careers that are represented in BT.
2007-04-03 4:34 PM

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
Very interesting responses so far. I honestly thought we would see more dissatisfaction with careers, and thus a re-channelling of that energy into another outlet. I'm actually quite happy (and surprised) to see so many satisfied with their career/job situations.

I'm also a little surprised to learn how many are able to compartmentalize their job from other aspects of their lives. For me, because I am a writer and creative-type, I find that nearly impossible. If I'm out on a run or bike, I'm constantly thinking about my work. And if I'm at work, I'm constantly thinking about training (or just checking in at BT !)

Also, if I'm frustrated at my job, that definitely carries over into my workouts, sometimes in a positive way as working out that frustration can result in better workouts. Or it can just prevent me from being able to properly concentrate on my form.
2007-04-03 5:01 PM
in reply to: #747744

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lethbridge, AB
scoobysdad - 2007-04-03 4:34 PM

I'm also a little surprised to learn how many are able to compartmentalize their job from other aspects of their lives. For me, because I am a writer and creative-type, I find that nearly impossible. If I'm out on a run or bike, I'm constantly thinking about my work. And if I'm at work, I'm constantly thinking about training (or just checking in at BT !)

I find I do this also. I often listen to repertoire that I'm working on or going to be playing while I'm running. I also quite often listen to CBC (our version of NPR) while I run.. partially b/c I'm a bit of a music nerd, but also b/c I know I might learn something that I should know! On the bike I can work through lots of student problems or politics! And I spend far too much time at work on BT Like when I should be rewriting curriculums... blah..
2007-04-03 5:31 PM

User image

Master
State of Confusion

I am a teaching assistant to autistic children, and I do love my job. It is very challenging on some days. I am also a mom to an autistic child so I often have challenging days both at work and at home. Training is a way to blow off steam, absolutely. But, I use exercise to blow off steam, and to keep myself sane, regardless of my career. I wasn't into multisport training before kids, but I was a runner/dancer/gym rat, and I've always been active. Exercise has been my way to escape, meditate, and get high on life, no matter what job/career I've had or whatever my personal situation may be. It is as essential to me as breathing.

edit to add: I "voted" somewhat satisfied because while I love my job, I don't want to be an "assistant" forever. I plan on getting my Master's Degree starting this Fall to be the "real deal," certified teacher and be in charge.

Edited by NightOwl 2007-04-03 5:34 PM
2007-04-03 5:58 PM

User image

Mountain View, CA
I'm very satisfied with my career field, but pretty sick of being a student.

There's probably a fair amount of overlap between my drive to improve and compete at a high level in triathlons and my drive to have a PhD in physics. There are many reasons I participate in triathlons, but one of them is definitely the stress relief and overall break it provides from grad school. If I'm stuck trying to find a bug in my code, I can take off for a swim or a run and come back with a clearer head. I'm sure the same will be true once I finish my thesis and get an actual job (especially since then I'll be responsible for writing my own grant proposals to get funding).

2007-04-03 6:35 PM

Veteran
Philadelphia
I'd say I'm overly satisfied with my career. I'm an interior designer for the government...which means flexible hours and alot of holidays off. Rarely do I feel stress from work, or does work affect my training. If anything, everyone is supportive and inquisitive of the sport.

I started triathlons to fullfill a lifelong dream. I had lost my way post graduation. I had acheived all of my personal goals and found myself with nothing else to really strive for. I found myself either sitting and watching alot of tv or out at the bars with my friends. A couple years later, I had enough. This past november I was relaxing one saturday afternoon and turned the tv on to see the ironman in hawaii. It was like in an instant I remembered all my dreams as a kid and decided to fullfill this one. Now I'm hooked. My goal is to be ready for an ironman in 3 years and ultimatly participate in an adventure race like eco challenge or primal quest. I find that right now my job doesn't interfere with my training, but I'm afraid that within the next few years, my life will only have time for training, work and sleep...so I'm trying to start early with the whole balance thing.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon and your career Rss Feed  

of 2