General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 03m 59s
Overall Rank = 245/548
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 42/67
Pre-race routine:

We woke early in the BT house of fun.
I had a toasted bagle with PB. I drank a water on the way to transition.
After I set up my TA, I ate a cliff bar, and had a gel.
I saw lots of BT folks.
Event warmup:

For some reason, we only had about 30 mins to set up TA, so we did not get a run or bike warmup. Bonnie and I did a short (200-300 yrd) swim. On the way back, we both stepped on the oyster beds and sliced our feet pretty good.
Swim
  • 27m 24s
  • 1056 yards
  • 02m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

I felt really good for most of the swim. I started in the mid/back/left. After the first fast swimmers took off, I was able to stay with the same pack for most of the swim. Once we took a left at the first buoy, it was a long straight swim to the next. This is were i had problems. Unless there is a black line on the bottom for me to follow, I am swimmimg in a zig zag. Well, there was a current pushing to the left, so I went to the left. There were 4 of us drafting each other and we all went left. A canoe finally got us back on course, but I was about 250 yrds away from the race. If i had kept going, I might have gone in front of the paddle boat!
Once back on course, I put my head down and hammered to the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Follow the correct crowd.
Transition 1
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

Once out of the water, we had a short jog to the wetsuit strippers. I had my arms out and suit to my waist. A young girl pulled one time and off it came! Took about 15 seconds.
I love having a wetsuit stripper!!!

I put my helmet on, then sat to put socks and shoes.

I grabbed my bike and fast jogged out to the bike corse.

I saw Bill and Hannah ner the start line.

Not much.
Maybe ride without socks.
Maybe learn to have shoes on bike and do the way cool flying leap on seat and put feet in shoes thing.
Otherwise, I am happy with my T1 time.
Bike
  • 1h 34m
  • 28 miles
  • 17.87 mile/hr
Comments:

I started with a great bike leg!
I was going 18-19mph in the strong head wind!! I felt on top of the world! All my bike training had paid off. I was passing everyone, even the guys (and girls) with the disk and othe way better than my race wheels. I saw Luke and gave him a quick salute and kept hammering.
There was a section of chip seal that slowed me down, but not too much, until.....I found my front tire was flat!!!!
OK, so I cursed a few times, pulled over and started to do what was to be the fastest tire change ever. I pulled the tire from the wheel with out using a lever, felt the inside of the tire, put my only tube in, assembled my CO2...but wait...I didnt hear the PSSST when the cartridge punctured. AND IT WAS NOT INFLATING!!!! I had a defective CO2, or so I thought. I tried a second one, still nothing!!! ARRGG!!!!
I was now just sitting there when another rider asked what I needed, he threw me a CO2 and rode off, thanks! But it was a 12, I needed a 16...
I took my inflator apart and saw that the pin was missing, so it would not open the CO2!!!

A minute later, Luke rode by, asked what I needed, I told him I was done, he said "NO, what do you need?" I told him my inflator was broken, he GAVE ME HIS!! WOW, this was very, VERY cool!!!
I got my tire aired up and took off!
A few mins later, I heard that sound: pssst,pssst,pssst,pssst....
I had just flatted again!!!!
This time I did not have another tube. Kiley road by, asked If I was OK, I told her my race was over. I was just about to start walking back when the Mavic support car pulled up. They very quickly took my front wheel, gave me a new one and I was ready to go, again!!!!
The support guy told me to get on and he would get me back to speed. I got on, he grabbed my seat and ran me about 100yrds, how cool was that!!!

I passed Kiley, chatted with her for a few seconds and took off. I then passed Luke and chatted with him for a few seconds too and took off fast.

I got a new gatoraide from the hand up (mine spilled when I laid my bike down). I found the turn around and was thankful.

There was now a wonderful tailwind! I was able to push speeds as high as 30, but maintained 26-28 MPH for the return trip. I was not passed once on the bike (except when I was stopped).

Carry 2 tubes
Verify my equipment before a race (CO2 inflator)
Not flat (twice)
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

T2 was very fast for me. dropped my shoes/helmit, put run shoes on. Grabbed a gel for the run.

Maybe learn to take feet out of shoes on bike and do the way cool looking jump from moving bike thing...
Run
  • 58m 42s
  • 6.5 miles
  • 09m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Since i knew my race was no longer a "race" (because of the flats), I decided to just make it a good finish. I ran out at first at a sub 8 pace, hit 1st mile (per Garmin) at 7min 5sec, (way too fast). I slowed it down to a 8-9 min per mile pace and held it there. Mike (Marmadaddy) ran up and stayed with me for about 1/2 mile. I told him to NOT run with me, coz I was just jogging alaon and for him to go do his race, so he did.

I STOPPED at the BT water station and chatted for a few seconds, I also STOPPED at a porta can and then I STOPPED again at the BT aid staion for more water.
At one of the turn, I saw Bonnie coming, so I STOPPED and waited for her for about 45 seconds to come by. I gave her a high five and got a kiss!

I kept running but thought about stopping, not because I couldnt run, but because I was mentally not in this race anymore, but I kept on.
I STOPPED again athe HRTC water station and chatted with a few of the club members I knew. Kenny looked way to comfortable in that toga!!!
I STOPPED 2 more times, one for water and again for a porta can.

This made for a total of 6 times during the run that I STOPPED. Even though I was not having a good run, I did try to enjoy as much as I could. I still finished with a 9 min per mile pace.
This could of been a great run, if I had not STOPPED so many times to visit and use the porta cans.

Not let the 2 flat tires get me down and still race the run.
Post race
Warm down:

No cool down.
I waited at the finish line for Bonnie with Lisa and Randy. Then we all waited for Luke, Kiley and all the others.
Bonnie and I went to the food tent, got some grub and sat down with a bunch of BT friends (old and new).
After about an hour or so, we went back to Casa BT, showered, chatted with Whizz and Coredump a bit and left.
We stopped at Mario's on 61st st (the good one), had a wonderful pizza and desert then drove home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The only thing was the 2 flat tires. This was the first time I have flatted in a race.....

Event comments:

With all the support at this race, I rate it one of, if not the best organized races I have done. A top notch event!!!

Last updated: 2007-03-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:24 | 1056 yards | 02m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/67
Overall: 349/548
Performance: Average
Suit: IM wetsuit over tri shorts and shirt
Course: Course was a counter clockwise rectangle swim.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:27
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:34:00 | 28 miles | 17.87 mile/hr
Overall: 231/548
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: After about a 1/2 mile of back roads, we were on the seawall. This was an out and back ride. Strong headwind out, great tail wind back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:58:42 | 06.5 miles | 09m 02s  min/mile
Overall: 265/548
Performance: Below average
Course: Lots of turns and ups and dows and a few in the grass and dirt stretches.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-04-03 2:54 PM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
Subject: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter

2007-04-03 2:59 PM
in reply to: #747557

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Subject: RE: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter

Congratulations on a job well done!

Great to meet you and Mrs. Fish!

2007-04-03 3:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
DFW Metroplex
Way to go.  Two flats and you didn't let it ruin your day.  Good race all the way around. 
2007-04-03 3:35 PM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Great job Joe! Even with your 2 flats and 6 stops you still kicked my tail! It has been a lot of fun training with you and Bonnie lately and we will definitely continue to do so. No worries at all about the CO2. Sorry that I could have cost you a time penalty though. We'll see you next week for some brick fun at Memorial Park.
2007-04-03 8:07 PM

User image

Regular
Katy, TX (west of Houston)
I guess I should just enjoy the fact that I actually beat you for the one and only time  But seriously, you did great, Joe.  Look at how you kicked back on the run and were only behind me by less than four minutes.  Even with your twelve min in stops to change flats you were only behind me by a few min on the bike portion.  What a great weekend it was!  I'm glad we did this race together.  Longhorn will be awesome!
2007-04-03 8:56 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Good job with the race and sticking it out.

Great that those Mavic guys came by when they did. I think they saved a lot of people's day.

See y'all at a race in the future.

2007-04-03 9:53 PM

User image

Elite
Texas

Glad to hear you really enjoyed the race despite the flats Joe. Good to see you guys as always. I haven't looked, but isn't your run pace with the stops and all faster for that OLY than you were running at sprints not too long ago? Hmm.

Glad you got a little quote from Hannah. She's all about the sound bites!

2007-04-03 10:39 PM

User image

Houston, TX
way to go Joe!  a mere mortal would not have been able to keep his wits with so much adversity!
2007-04-03 10:40 PM

New user

Katy, TX
Great job overcoming those flats Joe!!! Glad to see you stuck it out, I hope to have that kind of dedication one day!
2007-04-03 10:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX (West of Houston)

I enjoyed reading your race report.  You smoked the bike portion...as usual!  And, I can't believe you stopped so many times and STILL had a 9:02 avg pace on the run...I want to be able to run THAT fast...you rock Joe!

You and Bonnie are STILL my tri idols! 

2007-04-04 9:08 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Great job, Joe!  I wanna learn to be as fast on the bike as you!

2007-04-04 1:16 PM

User image

Houston, TX
Even with all the stops and flats you had an awesome race! Great Job!
2007-04-05 8:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX

Great Job! I can't believe you made such an awesome time with TWO FLATS!

You and Bonnie both did great - Congratulations on your PR

2007-04-05 5:30 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,

My buddy my pal!  When our chatty and neighborly natures cut into our training time at Memorial that's one thing -- but DURING a RACE?  You win. 

I am SUPER IMPRESSED with how you handled your flat - you held an UNBELIEVALBE speed on the way back!  Great job Joe.   You are one strong athlete.

2007-04-06 8:57 AM

User image

Master
Keller Tx

for a bad race, that sure is a fast time!  Glad you were able to get the flats taken care of, and enjoy the run.  you did seem to be having fun when you came by.

Great to meet you and Bonnie this weekend

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Quarter Rss Feed