General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Galveston, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 35m 12s
Overall Rank = 332/525
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 25/41
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5 am. Got dressed in the hotel bathroom as not to wake the wife and three kids. Ate some prepackaged oatmeal. I didn't get any coffee and forgot to buy a Red Bull, so missed my caffiene. Left the hotel room around 5:45 to head for the race.
Event warmup:

Did some light streatching in the transition area. I thought about getting a quick swim in, but decided not too. Overall, not a bad move.
Swim
  • 16h 29m 95s
  • 600 meters
  • 2h 45m 06s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was not happy with my swim at all. Initially, things were great. I was swimming at the pace I wanted, passing people, and not freaking out when I got hit - even took a hard shot in the face. I was squarely in the middle of the pack and not feeling any arm or leg fatigue. But, then the wetsuit interferred with my breathing. I was about 100 m from the turn and could not catch my breath. I tried slowing down, rolling over and taking a few breaths, etc., and couldn't get enough oxygen in. I actually considered stripping the wetsuit right there to finish the swim. It wasn't mine, so I had to stop and hang onto a surfboard. I made it to the turn and had to stop again. From there, I made it in.
What would you do differently?:

Not wear a wetsuit. I knew this could be an issue, but wanted the extra flotation.
Transition 1
  • 02m 44s
Comments:

When I first got out of the water, I had to walk to catch my breath. Then, I was able to finish the 100 yd or so run into T1. Everything in T1 went well. Had some trouble getting my feet into my shoes on the bike. I'd praticed it, but it didn't go very smoothly.

Nothing. Wish I could have sprinted from the swim to T1
Bike
  • 44h 09m 70s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 0.28 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike ride was great. I could have pushed a little harder going out, but was still recovering from the swim. I had one gel at 2 miles and one at 10 miles. It was fun to ride on the seawall and watch the waves breaking. I passed a lot of people, and got passed by quite a few - mainly people on better bikes than mine (i.e. aerobars, tri bikes, etc).

I never got onto the big chain ring going out. I felt like I was comfortably pushing, but I could have gone a little harder / faster.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

My T2 was great. I got stuck behind another racer coming in, so that slowed me down a little. I also had to put socks on because my shoes give me blisters. I had a little trouble with my socks, or else I'd have been even faster.

I want new shoes so I don't have to wear socks. Other than that, I was quite happy. I blew past several people in T2
Run
  • 30h 27m 30s
  • 3 miles
  • 10h 09m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I am not a runner! I felt tight coming off the bike, but was able to push through. I loosened up around 3/4 - 1 mile. My heart rate was soaring, so I knew lasting at the pace I was going was going to be tough. I tried to slow down, but could not get my heart rate to come down. When I reached the mile 2 aid station, I walked a few steps to bring my HR down. I had to walk again down one of the "hills" because I was not feeling well. I rounded a corner with another guy and saw the rain coming across the gulf, so we picked it up a little at that point. The skys opened up with less than 1/2 mile to the finish. I crossed the finish running and soaking wet.

Not much. I obviously wish I could run faster, but in my first triathlon last season, my run was at a 13+ pace, so was pretty happy with then end result. I need to put more miles in.
Post race
Warm down:

I had convinced several of my neighors to race. So I stood out in the rain for another 25 minutes waiting for them to come in so I could cheer them on. So no real warm down -- just freezing!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My swim and current skill level. :-)

Event comments:

This was an outstanding race and a must do for next year. It was only my 2nd race. My first was the same distance and an easier course, and I cut 19 minutes off my time. I was thrilled with that. I'd hoped to go faster (sub 1:30) and would have if not for my swim challenges. I did get to meet some great people, including the BT guys, so that was fun. Always wishing I could meet more.

Last updated: 2007-04-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
16:29:95 | 600 meters | 2h 45m 06s / 100meters
Age Group: 37/41
Overall: 400/525
Performance: Bad
Suit: Shorty Wetsuit
Course: Right Triangle with a short leg after the turn.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:44
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
44:09:70 | 12.5 miles | 0.28 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/41
Overall: 261/525
Wind: Some
Course: 1.5 miles from venue to seawall. Out and back on seawall.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
30:27:30 | 03 miles | 10h 09m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 34/41
Overall: 414/525
Course: Twisting through Moody Gardens.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-04-04 11:38 AM

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX
Subject: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint

2007-04-04 12:02 PM
in reply to: #748696

User image

Extreme Veteran
DFW Metroplex
Subject: RE: Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint
Great Job.  You made good time.  It was a beautiful bike course wasn't it?  Congratulations.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lone Star Triathlon Festival - Sprint Rss Feed