Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Sex offenders finding a place to live Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-04-05 1:51 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: Sex offenders finding a place to live
From a public policy perspective, should cities create laws the essentially prohibit convicted sex offenders from being allowed to live within the city's jurisdiction? 
This is a growing problem for this population (not that I have much sympathy).  But assume that some of the convicted actually want to re-enter society but 98% of the city is deemed illegal for them to reside.  Is this right?
There are cases where states are going to great lengths to run out all the registered sex offenders?  How does it help to just dump them in another state?  And then it amazes me what a uproar it seems to cause when a sex offender is found breaking his/her parole. 
Any thoughts? 

2007-04-05 2:34 PM
in reply to: #750408

User image

Veteran
Decatur GA
Subject: RE: Sex offenders finding a place to live

A law like this would open up the possibility to every high school kid, under 18, that has sex being unable to live in a city, or even having to move. 

My first Triathlon was in Hartsville, SC.  About 3 miles into the run I had to veer off into the woods to pee.  I went far enough into them so that no one could see me, but still, I could have been seen and if so, their's a chance I could have been prosecuted.  Would that mean that I would have to move? Don't think that would be too fair.  

I have no sympathy or child molesters or rapists, but lets make sure we know the full ramifications of a law like this before we back it. 

2007-04-05 2:47 PM

User image

Master
Northern California
I thought they all got sent to Pedo-phisland?
2007-04-05 2:59 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Well I knew someone from high school who was on the list. I was curious and I was like wow Joe is there. I figure it was I knew when he was 19 he was dating a 16 year old girl and I figure that is what it was from. Atleast I am hoping so.

There is something to say about paying your debt to society and then getting a chance to start over. Look at the movie wisdom if you want to see a movie about trying to start over. I thought it was very good.

It is a tough subject because they have to go somewhere but people do not want them around them. For the bad cases I can understand the real desire to want to push them away but there are alot of other cases of people who are potential very harmless who just made one mistake in there lives who will never do it again.

Plus the other question is what about murders? theifs? Where do we stop with other crimes?

2007-04-05 3:05 PM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,

the laws are just, are well thought out, are needed and effective in allowing law enforcement and probation officers to keep track of convicted sex offenders.  The article is poorly written and does not accurately describe the criteria in the state of Florida.  The people the article is referencing isn't just convicted sex offenders, what they are actually refering to are convicted Sexual PREDATORS.  A Sexual predator in the state of Florida is a person that has committed a sex crime against a child under the age of 12, or has been convicted of two or more sex crimes against children regardless of the age of the child.  So the worst of the worst.

And peeing in the woods wouldn't qualify, unless afterwards you had sex with an 11 year old!!!!

Or how about the fact that sex offenders are notorious for re-offending, and notorious for not complying with the registration requirements.  So as a society we have determined it is more important to keep a segment of society away from children (that segment that has one of the highest residivism rates) than to worry about where the can find a comfy home.

2007-04-05 3:09 PM
in reply to: #750514

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,

chirunner134 - 2007-04-05 3:59 PM Well I knew someone from high school who was on the list. I was curious and I was like wow Joe is there. I figure it was I knew when he was 19 he was dating a 16 year old girl and I figure that is what it was from. Atleast I am hoping so. There is something to say about paying your debt to society and then getting a chance to start over. Look at the movie wisdom if you want to see a movie about trying to start over. I thought it was very good. It is a tough subject because they have to go somewhere but people do not want them around them. For the bad cases I can understand the real desire to want to push them away but there are alot of other cases of people who are potential very harmless who just made one mistake in there lives who will never do it again. Plus the other question is what about murders? theifs? Where do we stop with other crimes?

Your slippery slope argument is a weak one.  We stop with sex offenders.  We include sex offenders because the rate of re-offending is off the charts.  ONe British study indicated that for those sex offenders that perped on children under the age of 13 the residivism rate was almost 85% after 20 years.  It makes sense because your not dealing with a person that made one mistake, your'e dealing with a person that had sex with a child!!!!  And if it is a young child, say under the age of 13, you are most likely dealing with a person that has a sexual paraphilia.

Oh and by the way, in Florida, the 19 year old having sex with a 16 year old isn't a crime.  So you may want to check your friends story out. 

2007-04-05 3:09 PM

User image

Elite
Reno

If we could just have a penal colony in some land far away......

Just as we cannot deport criminals to other countries, we cannot deport them to the next town.

If these people are not in prison, they have to live somewhere and have a way of working, etc.  I would think homeless ex-cons are more likely to offend again than one with a place to live and a job.   

2007-04-05 3:15 PM
in reply to: #750529

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
bootygirl - 2007-04-05 4:09 PM

Just as we cannot deport criminals to other countries, we cannot deport them to the next town.

If these people are not in prison, they have to live somewhere and have a way of working, etc.  I would think homeless ex-cons are more likely to offend again than one with a place to live and a job.   

We're not talking about your run-of-the mill "ex-con", we're not talking about a robber or a thief, or a burglar.  We're talking about individuals that are convicted of having either (1) sex with a child under the age of 12 or (2) having been convicted of multiple sex offenses!!!! 

for the most part, these individuals are not the opportunistic sex offender, these individuals are the preferential sex offenders that have a preferance for having sex with children.  They have psychological sexual paraphilias, many, not all, but many are pedophiles. 

Oh, and here's one, if you can't find a home in Miami, move!!! There are 62 counties in Florida. 

2007-04-05 3:22 PM
in reply to: #750542

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
ASA22 - 2007-04-05 4:15 PM
bootygirl - 2007-04-05 4:09 PM

We're not talking about your run-of-the mill "ex-con", we're not talking about a robber or a thief, or a burglar.  We're talking about individuals that are convicted of having either (1) sex with a child under the age of 12 or (2) having been convicted of multiple sex offenses!!!! 

for the most part, these individuals are not the opportunistic sex offender, these individuals are the preferential sex offenders that have a preferance for having sex with children.  They have psychological sexual paraphilias, many, not all, but many are pedophiles. 

Oh, and here's one, if you can't find a home in Miami, move!!! There are 62 counties in Florida. 

That's the point of the post.  Is it right to outlaw a convicted sex offender/predator/etc from living within the jurisdiction of the city?  What if the next town adopted the same laws, and the next, and the next?  

I believe somewhere in the Midwest, maybe Ohio where the laws drew nearly a 60 mile radius around a city in which the convicted could not live. 

No one is arguing the recidivism rate or nature of the crime, that is neglible to the the OP. 

2007-04-05 3:26 PM
in reply to: #750557

User image

Runner
If I read correctly, Miami hasn't outlawed them from living within the city limits.  What they have done is put limits as to proximity of places where children are.
2007-04-05 3:30 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

ASA,

I thank you for your service and clearing things up.  And please don't get me wrong I think sexual predators are the worst of the worst.  But here is where I have an issue.  If we as a society have deemed that someone has paid their debt to society, then it should be done.  If they have not paid their debt to society, then keep them away from the population. 

If I commit a murder, serve my full sentance, then I should be able to live and do as I please.  Granted, if I'm on parole I have some constraits.  So if Sexual Predators serve their full sentances, should they not be able to do as they please.  Do city's have the right to put paramaters on other parole's other than sexual predators?

If they reoffend, then keep them in jail away from society and it's people.  I just don't see how it's "fair" if you've supposidly served your debt to society.  FAIR is a subjective word.

2007-04-05 3:47 PM
in reply to: #750566

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

Scout7 - 2007-04-05 4:26 PM If I read correctly, Miami hasn't outlawed them from living within the city limits.  What they have done is put limits as to proximity of places where children are.

Correct.  I use outlaw loosely.  Say you develop a law that prohibits them from living within 5000 yards of a bus stop or places where children gather.  It would cover the entire city.  There is a movement in a number of states to do this. 

2007-04-05 3:56 PM
in reply to: #750600

User image

Veteran
Decatur GA
ADollar79 - 2007-04-05 4:47 PM

Scout7 - 2007-04-05 4:26 PM If I read correctly, Miami hasn't outlawed them from living within the city limits. What they have done is put limits as to proximity of places where children are.

Correct. I use outlaw loosely. Say you develop a law that prohibits them from living within 5000 yards of a bus stop or places where children gather. It would cover the entire city. There is a movement in a number of states to do this.

GA is trying to do this. However, my understanding is that in GA the legislation does not differentiate a predator, someone who prays on children or multiple offenders from a regular sex offender (i.e., someone who was caught peeing behind a bar at 2:00 AM after a long Saturday night).

Again, I am neither a legislator nor a lawyer, but if I am correct in my understanding of the GA legislation, I think it is completely unfair.

2007-04-05 3:59 PM
in reply to: #750618

User image

Runner
Peeing behind a dumpster is NOT, repeat NOT a sexual crime.  Unless your state has really screwed up ideas as to what a sex crime is.
2007-04-05 4:03 PM
in reply to: #750625

User image

Veteran
Decatur GA

Scout7 - 2007-04-05 4:59 PM Peeing behind a dumpster is NOT, repeat NOT a sexual crime. Unless your state has really screwed up ideas as to what a sex crime is.

In GA public indecency is a sexual offense.  Peeing behind a dumpster is public indecency.  GA has a lot of really screwed up ideas. 

2007-04-05 4:06 PM

User image

Regular
Cheney, WA
My question is why is there an ever increasing number of these f'd up people???

Does it have to do with the ever-increasing access people have to sexual material especially our children?

Does it have to do with the increase in exposer of children? (such as myspace)

Does it have to do with the increase in sexuality amongst children? ( i drive by a high school everyday on the way to work and I can't believe some of the clothes kids wear or should i say don't wear)

I mean hell, didn't they catch some 5th graders having sex at school?

We as a society need to look at why people are becoming sex offenders at such a increased rate and deal with that along with where to put them.

2007-04-05 4:13 PM

Elite Veteran
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

While my personal opinion about what SHOULD happen to these individuals is best not shared here, suffice it to say if I was running things finding a place to live would look to them like an excellent problem to have. 

However, here in Iowa we are well on the far spectrum of trying to push them further and further away.   Unfortunately the effect it is having, according to the people who keep track of them, is that now they are just simply failing to report where they live.  They are dropping off the radar.  That's not good.  So I'm not sure what the answer is. 

2007-04-05 5:22 PM
in reply to: #750566

User image

Giver

Scout7 - 2007-04-05 4:26 PM If I read correctly, Miami hasn't outlawed them from living within the city limits. What they have done is put limits as to proximity of places where children are.

Exactly. Here in Georgia, sex offenders can't live within (I think) 2500 feet of any place where children congregate. That list of places includes schools, recreation areas, malls, bowling alleys, churches, libraries, parks,  etc. So around all of those places, you have to draw circles with radii of 2500 feet. And that doesn't leave very many places where they can live. So what it does, at least here, is effectively create tiny little islands where sex offenders can live. 

Now imagine for a second if you happened to own property in one of those places. Suddenly, all of the rental property is going to be full of sex offenders, and just try selling your house. Kind of sucks for those people. 

2007-04-05 5:23 PM
in reply to: #750637

User image

Giver

ironman2010 - 2007-04-05 5:06 PM My question is why is there an ever increasing number of these f'd up people???

Internet.

I don't think there are any more of those people now then there were say 50 years ago. But now they've got this nifty tool with which to ply their trade. 

2007-04-05 5:26 PM
in reply to: #750499

User image

Master
State of Confusion

coachese - 2007-04-05 2:47 PM I thought they all got sent to Pedo-phisland?

No, they got sent to Clark County Washington...they're all around me. Undecided Very scary! A level 3 child molester lives within a mile of my house.Yell

2007-04-05 5:41 PM
in reply to: #750573

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Marvarnett - 2007-04-05 4:30 PM

ASA,

I thank you for your service and clearing things up.  And please don't get me wrong I think sexual predators are the worst of the worst.  But here is where I have an issue.  If we as a society have deemed that someone has paid their debt to society, then it should be done.  If they have not paid their debt to society, then keep them away from the population. 

If I commit a murder, serve my full sentance, then I should be able to live and do as I please.  Granted, if I'm on parole I have some constraits.  So if Sexual Predators serve their full sentances, should they not be able to do as they please.  Do city's have the right to put paramaters on other parole's other than sexual predators?

If they reoffend, then keep them in jail away from society and it's people.  I just don't see how it's "fair" if you've supposidly served your debt to society.  FAIR is a subjective word.

Except as part of their sentence in Florida they are labled either a "Sexual offender" or "sexual predator" depending upon their specific crime.  It's these labels that triger various restrictions on their liberty.  Both have mandatory reporting requirements where they have to report their perma. or temporary addresses.  Additionally, sexual predators may be required to be on probation for life, be required to carry a GPS system at all times, and be precluded from residing within a certain proximity to areas where children normally congregate, schools, parks, playground, ect.    So these are part of their sentence, it is called a "collateral consequence" of their conviction.

Florida has some of the harshest penalties for sex offenders.  And effective March 12, 2007 they got even tougher.  Our experience was that we had numerous repeat sex offenders re-offending, so our laws were continually harshened. 

Some of the most infamous child sex crimes have come out of Fla.  And as a society, we have decided to be proactive, and make the punishment for these types of crimes severe,  The restrictions on where an offender can live is just one of them.

2007-04-05 6:55 PM
in reply to: #750634

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
tsmith - 2007-04-05 5:03 PM

Scout7 - 2007-04-05 4:59 PM Peeing behind a dumpster is NOT, repeat NOT a sexual crime. Unless your state has really screwed up ideas as to what a sex crime is.

In GA public indecency is a sexual offense.  Peeing behind a dumpster is public indecency.  GA has a lot of really screwed up ideas. 

I'm not up on Ga. law, but I did a quick check and this doesn't seem to be true.  To be a sexual offender your crime must involve a victim . O.C.G.A. 42-1-12(20)(A)&(B)  So while Indecent exposure in GA is catogorized in the Sex Offense Chapter,  a conviction doesn't seem to qualify you as a sexual offender, and thusa conviction would not qualify for the registration requirements ofChapter 42.

2007-04-05 8:42 PM
in reply to: #750637

User image

Elite
ironman2010 - 2007-04-05 5:06 PM

My question is why is there an ever increasing number of these f'd up people???

Does it have to do with the ever-increasing access people have to sexual material especially our children?

Does it have to do with the increase in exposer of children? (such as myspace)

Does it have to do with the increase in sexuality amongst children? ( i drive by a high school everyday on the way to work and I can't believe some of the clothes kids wear or should i say don't wear)

I mean hell, didn't they catch some 5th graders having sex at school?

We as a society need to look at why people are becoming sex offenders at such a increased rate and deal with that along with where to put them.

It's a problem on several different levels. However, never underestimate the media's power to exaggerate society's problems. Overall, crime rates have been dropping over the past 15 years. (check out Freakonomics )

On the child abuse thing, we live in a culture where children are sexualized from a very young age. Hell, parents allow there girls to throw makeup on and let their kids soak in adult-oriented tv and movie entertainment all the time. I just love how parents blame the world when in the end, they are in control of what their kids see and hear. Slut-wear for our children is produced for a reason. There is a market out there. If parents don't buy it, or they don't allow their kids to buy it, it will not exist. It's that simple. Parents are neglecting their duties nowadays. Personally, I think part of the reason is they want to be their kids friend more than they do their parent.

Myspace isn't a bad thing. Parents not monitoring their kids is a bad thing.

Yes, I agree with you on the schools' dress codes. Weak administration is to blame. It's a shame. I hate uniforms. Just enforce a freaking dress code!

When it comes to the pedophiles, I really don't think we as a society have that many more. I think the spotlight has been turned up on what was already there. 40 and 50 years ago the same awful things happened, but kids never talked about it. Looking at the positive side of things, more kids are able to speak up when this stuff happens nowadays. Hell, Jerry Lee Lewis married his 13 yo cousin. Elvis was having a great time with his underage fiancee. Do we really consider them sex offenders?

Personally, I lean left politically, but when it comes to crime prevention, I'm to the right of Genghis Khan. When it comes to child abuse or neglect, I don't believe in rehabilitation. You are done, gone, see ya later. Since I'm anti-death penalty (only because it's not an effective deterrent) I'd stick these wastes of human flesh into a hellish concentration camp specially designed for the worst of the worst. Complete isolation in harsh but livable conditions. It would be cost-effective. Vitamins, bad food, very cold or very hot, wet, etc. Execution is a free pass for these scumbags.

When it comes to male bimbos (himbos) and whores, who want to engage in sexual activities without even knowing the other person well enough to know their age, I'm supposed to have sympathy for them when they are brought up on charges of statutory rape if the girl or boy is a minor and reports it to authorities??????

2007-04-05 11:17 PM

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT

It is hard to feel too bad for these people, but these stringent laws might actually be encouraging them to reoffend.   If you take somebody and brand them with a big red flag so they can't find any decent housing and they can't work anywhere, then they sit at home isolated from society.  I think this can contribute to their propensity to commit offenses again.   I don't know what the answer is because I don't want them any where near my kids school or home either. 

2007-04-06 3:57 PM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,

I just saw this report from Miami, one of the most manipulative, inaccurate pieces of reporting I've ever seen.  Just for example the reporter referes to the sex offenders being on "parole", we don't have "parole" in Florida.  There was a probation officer checking on them, so that necessarily means that they were on a term of probation.  Probation is a sentence in leu of going to prison on a sex offense, as all sex offenses qualify for prison in Florida.  So to address some of your concerns as the offenders were obviously on probation, that was part of their original sentence, so they hadn't finished serving their debt to society.  In addition the reporter states that the offenders were living under a bridge because of laws passed by Miami.  Cities and counties don't have the Constitutional authority to pass these types of ordanances in Florida.  The restrictionsn on where a sex offender can live are statutory restrictions that are a mandatory condition of probation in Florida.

Bad reporting, inaccurate, and miss leading!!!

Edited by ASA22 2007-04-06 3:58 PM
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Sex offenders finding a place to live Rss Feed  

of 2