Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Run
  • 27h 23m 4s
  • 100 miles
  • 16m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

THIS IS A COMBINED RACE REPORT FOR BOTH FIT AND ME.
here are 2 video links
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CM8NZt_66hA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DpksF1CjyY
and there are more pics in my album.
What would you do differently?:

We did everything right for this race. Our pace was what we planned, nutrition was pretty decent, hydration was good, our downfall was our feet. had the feet held up, we would have gone under 24 hours with no problems. Next time, we will.
Post race
Event comments:

The race started in the dark at 6am with the temps in the high 40's. Cubefarmgopher, sue7013, runnergirl and rrizzo awoke with us in the morning and then drove out to the race to see us off. The gun went off, they shot off fireworks and everyone started...walking.

The course was a 12.5 mile loop with two main aid stations, one at the start and one 6.75 miles in. There were additional aid stations on the course providing water.

We started with the plan to run the flatter portions of the race and walk the significant uphills. Hopefully this would turn out to be pretty close to the previously planned 8:2 run:walk strategy and would keep us around 2:45 -3:00 per loop.

The first 50 miles came and went with no problems. The temperature had reached 79 and it was warmer than we expected but other than that, the run was going well. We weren't expecting anyone to come out until 6 o'clock, when the pacers were allowed to start running with runners. But, in true BT fashion, we had awesome friends who started showing up much earlier than expected. On loop three, Spot was working Aid Station Two and had an awesome sign that he and his child had made. Then, as we started up the big hills on the third lap, a fast runner passed us, turned around and said “You must be the BT girls!” It was BeCivil, who ran with us for several miles and provided great company. CubeFarmGopher and Sue were there cheering much earlier than we expected. And, to top it off, on the fourth lap, we got to see our pal Jenneunc and her friend walking towards us, as well as HookedonTri and his son Alex at the end of the big hills section. It was a great surprise to see so many awesome BTers out on the course….what an awesome group of friends!! :)

Just as we are finishing the first 50 miles we are running down the railroad tie staircase and back up to the aid station I see a guy with a Michigan shirt on. I yell "hey, i'm from michigan, too." he responds with "yeah, I know, I'm here to cheer you on." It was kapinto, who I had met in chat just a few days before. It was very cool to think that someone i had JUST met drove out to see us run. Very cool, Keith, thank you for coming, it was quite a lift to see you there.

As we reached the aid station we were met by an unbelievable group of BT jockstrappers. We were blown away. I swear you could hear the cheers in the next county. ifocus was another BTer that I had just met who came out to support us. I am floored that these people drove out to watch two crazy girls tackle such an asinine goal. Thank you Dana! Along with Dana was the previously mentioned sue, cfg, rrizzo, runnergirl, as well as db8, fastcat74, bostic, kapinto, mtnchick13 and her man, 1 foot the other was working the aid station, (hopefully i'm not forgetting anyone). we felt like rock stars and I think of few of the bystanders thought that we might be just that with all the support that we had.

We set off for the 5th loop with rrizzo, runnergirl, db8, fastcat74 and Paige. A few miles in at mile 53, I fell apart. The heat had taken a toll on me and I had hit bottom. I was dehydrated and had no glucose and was failing fast. I was done, and told shannon so. I figured I had just run a PR 50 miles and that was good. I had run 3 miles farther than I'd ever gone and I couldn't imagine being out there for FOURTY SEVEN MORE MILES! I told Shannon I was done. She told me I was ok, to relax and to keep cool by pouring water on my head, and try to eat every thing I could. So I did. As long as I ate every 20 minutes I felt pretty good. Later that loop at the second aid station bridget (fastcat74) filled a ziplock bag with food and kept feeding me on the back half of the loop. Without that food, I'd still be out there. thanks bridget, and everyone else on that loop for keeping my mind busy. This was my lowest point in the race and the jockstrappers that were there helped me through, thanks so much girls, I love ya!

The next loop was started in the dark and we headed to the car to change clothes and pick up our new pacers. The crew consisted of cubefarmgopher, sue, and mtnchick 13, who took over the feedbag duties. Before the race I was worried about running in the dark. I thought that it would be depressing that we were out there for so long, that it would be a real low point, but I was wrong. I welcomed the dark and the somewhat cooler temperatures that came along with it. The best part about the dark was you could pee anywhere! like right there on the side of the road! It was AWESOME. However, it was very disturbing to see pollen falling like snow in your headlamp beam! Maryann made sure I was fed by hooking me up with some pb&j covered foods! Sue told us disgusting stories and cubefarm was our pack mule and entertainment, gotta love him:)

The seventh loop was paced by bostic, and bobby lamonte. This was the beginning of the end, our feet were like raw hamburger and our pace had slowed considerably. Six miles into the lap at the second aid station the guys sat us down and helped tend to our blisters. They also massaged sore muscles and grabbed food while we were getting first aid. After the aid station I couldn't put any weight directly on my right foot, I had to hobble/hop/jog, and the guys were very supportive and encouraging.

This was a tough lap for me mentally because I saw that shannon was struggling to stay awake and was just tired of being out there on the course. I heard her tell bostic that there was NO WAY she was going to spend 8 more hours out there. So I tried to do what I could to keep us moving at a decent pace. At mile 82 my blister spread and I fell to the ground in agony, laid flat on my back, and hopped right back up. (otherwise known as the trixie breakdance.) I knew if I stayed down I would be done. Shannon thought my version of a break dance was hysterical so in some twisted way, my pain made her smile:) Which made me happy. Following my dance episode it was very difficult to walk at all. I had to curl my toes in order to keep the bottom of my foot from touching the shoe. This was very painful but bostic kept talking to me, asking questions and keeping my mind off the pain. I could not have asked for anything more, he knew exactly what to do to keep me moving forward.

Up ahead a few yards shannon was experiencing some blister pain as well but most of all serious fatigue. It seems that teaching on your feet for 16 hours the previous 2 days IN STILETTOS makes one tired. hmmmmm, who woulda thunk?:) what she needed was someone to quietly walk beside her and make sure she kept moving forward. Again, our pacers were better than we ever imagined.

At the end of the seventh loop leading into the last, shannon's fatigue was more than she could handle so we decided to take a 10 minute nap in the first aid cabin. we were not able to sleep but it gave us a chance to rest our eyes, which did help a bit. We returned to the car where all the jockstrappers were and the triage started. Shannon hopped in the front seat and proclaimed that she was "never allowed to make any fucking decisions ever again" I laid in the back of the car and while sue wrapped my blisters, edde and devin rubbed my knotted leg muscles. Damn it felt good. I love me some rubbing:)

We grabbed our new pacers for the last loop, tri'n NC, devin and ellasdad (AOP members) and set off on our last lap. Because my feet were raw we knew that running was out of the question. So we set off walking 16 minute miles, and felt pretty good. That quickly ended as the pain was increasing in our feet and Shannon was beginning to fall asleep while walking. Somewhere around mile 92 we stopped at a picnic table and laid down for another ten minutes. Again, we were able to rest our eyes but did not fall asleep. We arose and slowly headed toward the last aid station. While at the aid station Shannon told me that she was done and wanted someone to bring a truck around for her so she could ride back to the finish. WTF?? 95 miles into a 100 mile race and you're DONE?? I think not, so we opted to try the whole sleep thing again on the cot in the first aid tent, but were still not able to fall asleep. After a few minutes we decided that the best course of action would be to keep moving forward.

After we left the aid station at mile 95, ryan called the gang to inform them about our ETA. Which was 2 hours because at this point we were moving at the breakneck speed of 30 min/mile, and yes you CAN walk that slow! it was probably the most boring time these guys had ever spent in their lives, but they kept us going, and made it possible for us to finish the race. Thanks a million guys, you were awesome.

About 1.5 miles from the finish saw a big ol group of BT love coming down the hill at us. What an overwhelming feeling. Not only because our friends had come back out to see us finish this race but because we were nearly finished, just a mile and a half through a rocky road up to the finish line. As we climbed the railroad ties to the finish line we were again met by all of our friends cheering and hugging us at the finish.

27 hours 23 minutes and 4 seconds later, we were done.

This was the most incredible experience of my life.
As an athletic endeavor, we pushed ourselves farther than many people ever dream possible and we came out winners. It doesn't matter our time or our place in the standings... we conquered this race, and we did it together, not just Shannon and me, but everyone that was there in body and spirit. You helped make this dream a reality.

It was a very emotional experience as well. We felt so many different emotions during this run, from the excitement of the start, the hatred of the hills, the kindness and concern from our pacers to the love for each other, it would not be possible to complete this type of event without walking away a better person.

Last but most definitely not least, we want to be sure and thank all the pacers and jockstrappers. It was overwhelming the amount of support that we received leading up to and at the race itself. For so many people to fly in and drive down to watch us run a race still amazes me. We are very thankful for each one of you and will never forget you. Our pace groups were truly motivational and ABSOLUTELY critical to us being able to complete the race. Most people fail their first attempt at 100 miles....and we know that the only reason we finished was because of our pacers. Thank you so much.

Who wants to do it again??:) WHOOP WHOOOOP!!!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-03-07 12:00 AM
Running
27:23:04 | 100 miles | 16m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
lap 1 2:29:52 lap 2 2:37:58 5:07:50 lap 3 2:50:59 7:58:49 lap 4 2:55:45 10:54:34 lap 5 3:02:05 13:56:39 lap 6 3:22:46 17:19:25 changing clothes stop lap 7 4:20:14 21:39:39 lap 8 5:43:25 27:23:04 includes 3 'sleep' breaks and major first aid stop.
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-04-06 8:10 AM

User image

Champion
Michigan
Subject: UMSTEAD 100 MILE ENDURANCE RUN

2007-04-06 8:25 AM
in reply to: #751167

User image

Hollidaysburg, PA
Subject: RE: UMSTEAD 100 MILE ENDURANCE RUN
Awesome race report!! I didn't realize you were in so much pain on those last two loops. I hope you continue to recover and it was awesome being a pacer!!
2007-04-06 8:33 AM

User image

Regular
Dude. You already know my feelings about your achievement as I have expressed them to both of you. What I got most out of the race report is that I can't believe that you guys actually remembered this much detail. Second, the mental roller coaster must have been too much, but obviously it wasn't! Again, bad @#* . Third, great job to you guys and your crew. The crew sounded phenomenal.

Edited by foster00 2007-04-06 8:34 AM
2007-04-06 8:36 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Wow, you two are incredible.  To keep going with the pain and exhaustion you must have had is awesome.  Congratulations on reaching your goal and great report.
2007-04-06 8:36 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Un-f'ing believable!  You really have NO idea how impressed I am with both of you.  I WILL be there the next time!!!
2007-04-06 8:37 AM

User image

Master
South Florida
wow..it sounds so awful and so wonderful.  Congrats to you both on doing something most humans would never dream of doing!!!! 

2007-04-06 8:41 AM

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA
"we felt like rock stars..."

Probably because YOU ARE! Way to go Trixie and Fit!
Super-inspirational.
2007-04-06 8:43 AM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

I am speechless. I love it when I realize how cool and inspiring my friends are. Our lives are full of blessings! I love watching others take on challenges that mystify that masses!

Your story is inspiring and heartwarming, not just because of what you accomplished, but because of the wonderful friendship that brought you too to that point. Thanks for sharing it will all of us! 

2007-04-06 8:50 AM

User image

Master
Keller Tx

Wow......I don't really know what else to say.  thats an unimaginable accomplishment, and that fact that you hurt so bad for so long makes it that much sweeter!

Awesome job.  Im in awe of the 2 of you!

2007-04-06 9:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
i never doubted you would finish. you two are awesome.
2007-04-06 9:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN

trixie/shannon,

great RR!!! I think I cried reading it just remembering it all!

You need to know on our side I almost lost runnergirl for life :

1) you guys were doing so well I was freaking out that I would not be able to keep up with you for loop 5. was afraid your 'running' moments would be too fast since I was THE slowest runner in that loop group...and I almost bailed b/c I didn't want to slow you two down. She kept trying to reason with me to no avail. But then Bostic slapped me around a few times and I kept my mouth shut and never let you guys know how worried I was that I was going to fail you

2) Last I talked to Bostic at 11 pm you all were doing great so I awoke at 5 am and dragged runnergirl out of bed so we could get back to race site at 6 am b/c I was convinced you were going to finish before 7. Just like Shannon, I was doing my own math calcualations the last few hours . Anyway, you can imagine the "i told you so's" I got from runnergirl when we got there and finally found sue and cfg and discovered ETA was moved up a tad....it seemed only right to go out and find you all to walk it in with you.

I think many of us slept very little, somehow embarrassingly were more sore the next day/two than we would care to admit, but all of us would say it was time more than well spent!

2007-04-06 9:05 AM

User image

Master
Colorado
You chickees make me cry. I love ya.
2007-04-06 9:12 AM

User image

Pro
A farming town in MN
Unbelievable!  Great race report.  Not often do you see a race report that covers all the emotion (ups AND downs) of a race like yours did.  Almost made me feel like I was there myself.  Congratulations!  What a life achievement.  Props to all the pacers.  BTers ROCK!  They were just as much a part of your finishing the race as your own kick-butt will!  Rest and recover...
2007-04-06 9:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Clayton/Raleigh, North Carolina
Great job guys! I hated it that I couldn't be there to see it in person! The race report is awesome, you portrayed your emotions for the whole race so well that we could almost feel them. That is an amazing accomplishment, you guys did unbelievable. And after all that you went through, I can't believe you have already made comments about 'next time'!
2007-04-06 9:19 AM

User image

Elite
Texas
So if you run a marathon to "experience something", what happes when you run a hundy? Incredible. Just awesome. So proud of you!
2007-04-06 9:25 AM

User image

Elite

Amazing.
Simply amazing.

Congratulations!

2007-04-06 9:29 AM

User image

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts

Yay!  I'm so glad I got to read this!  Every word conjured up great scenes in my head.  What an awesome report! I can't wait to feel this pain. 

Congratulations you two.  Love you lots, and I'm sure glad you had so many awesome folks out there to help you bring it on home!  WHOOP WHOOOOOOOP!!!

2007-04-06 9:50 AM

User image

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea

You two ROCK!

BTers ROCK!

Nuf' said.

2007-04-06 9:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mountains of Colorado!

you guys are poster children for Apostles of Pain!

i wouldn't have missed this race for anything. you two truly laugh at the face of pain.. i would be you pacer anytime "iceman" 

2007-04-06 9:59 AM
in reply to: #751231

User image

Crystal Lake, IL
Incredible.  What a run, what a report!  You two are inspirational.  Thanks for the tearjerker.
2007-04-06 10:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
DFW Metroplex
Wow, what a powerful report.  What a milestone to have accomplished.  I hope you heal quickly.  Thanks for posting and sharing your experience.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading.  Congratlulations!

2007-04-06 10:11 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-04-06 10:26 AM

Champion
Milton, GA

WOW!!  Ya'll are amazing! 

I am going to print this race report and put it up next to my training schedule.  That way if I am ever feeling too lazy or tired to do a training session I will just look over and see what real pain is all about!

Way to go and congratulations!

2007-04-06 10:45 AM

Champion
the colony texas
This was one of the most inspiring reports I've read in a while.. I will most likely print it out so when I'm feeling that stopping short of the goal is an option, I will remember that it is not

gary
2007-04-06 11:38 AM

Expert
Seattle WA

AWESOME job, both of you. that's an incredible accomplishment! hope you're healing up well and enjoying hte post-race satisfaction.

congrats! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » UMSTEAD 100 MILE ENDURANCE RUN Rss Feed  

of 3