General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dealing with increased hunger? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-07 1:30 AM

User image

Expert
In limbo
Subject: Dealing with increased hunger?
I feel like the more I train, the more I want/need to eat. I'm trying to make healthy choices when I do eat, but I feel like I'm constantly hungry. I know if I continue to increase how much i'm eating i'm not going to lose weight, but I also don't want to be feeling hungry all the time. How do you all deal with this?

2007-04-07 8:38 PM
in reply to: #752223

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
Subject: RE: Dealing with increased hunger?
I more than doubled my fiber intake (bowls of fiber one cereal), and added a lot more protein. So far it has worked for me to keep from feeling hungry all the time, I just have not been able to loose weight/fat as I had wanted, so I know I have to tweak some stuff to drop some calories.
2007-04-08 9:29 AM

User image

Expert
West Metro Atlanta, GA
I've found that with training, I need to eat smaller meals every 3-4 hours to feel satisfied and non-ravenous. Especially right after training sessions... apples have never tasted so good! (nor has chocolate milk for that matter)
2007-04-09 6:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

This won't work on long/hard training days, but on easy (workouts under 1 hour) or rest days this is how I got through it.  Suck it up Buttercup!  Yep, that's how I did it.  A LOT of it is mental.  First, during weightloss you are burning more calories than you are consuming.  It just makes sense that there are times during the day that you WILL feel hungry.  Accept it.  I just would tell myself that I am not going to die from feeling hungry.  Then I would think about all the starving people in the world that feel hungry all day, every day.  That would always make me feel puny for complaining about being hungry for a couple of hours.  After a couple of weeks, I got used to the occasional hungry feeling and it wasn't as bad as in the beginning.

Other things I would do to help is I would drink at least 4 oz of water anytime I felt really hungry.  I sucked on a lot of wintergreen Breathsaver mints (5 calories each) during the worst times.  I maybe consumed about 6-8 mints per day.

If I had a bike ride that would last several hours or something similar, then I would make sure to control my hunger.  But during day to day life and at work, if I got hungry as I was getting close to my next meal, I just lived with it. 

Diane

2007-04-09 1:16 PM

User image

Master
Northern California

lil_turtle - 2007-04-06 11:30 PM I feel like the more I train, the more I want/need to eat. I'm trying to make healthy choices when I do eat, but I feel like I'm constantly hungry. I know if I continue to increase how much i'm eating i'm not going to lose weight, but I also don't want to be feeling hungry all the time. How do you all deal with this?

Eat less calorie dense food. Tons of veggies, fruit, salad, spinach, yams, etc. That and eat these lower calorie meals more often.

2007-04-09 11:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
Dont worry about being hungry all of the time ... its all about choices. I have a great shopping list that I got at a nutrition clinic if you need ideas of what to buy at the grocery store. The thing I hate the most about most diets and training plans is they try to make convenient recipes for you ... well its normally filled with wacky ingredients youll never use again. This is just a 3 page list of types of foods to buy.

You are working out more so you do need to eat! Dont expect the weight to start falling off though. I have been at it for almost 5 months now and I have probably lost 5lbs. A bit frustrating until I realize that I have probably dropped 5% BF at the same time ... so alot of fat is changing to muscle.

Eat breakfast! You gotta do it ... cereal in a cup on the way to work, oatmeal once you get there, I love to get clementine oranges. Drink water ... like another poster said ... a drink of water and a mint can keep you occupied. Dont fight it though ... if youre hungry eat. Im probably up to lets see ... breakfast, lunch, afternoon snack, mini dinner right when I get home, and then dinner after my PM workout ... maybe a snack before bedtime.

Get used to fruit, almonds/raisins make a great snack (in moderation!), powerbars on the go ... eat lots of chicken and fish, subway if you have to get fast food.

PM me if youre interested in the shopping list. Good luck

2007-04-10 2:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
Here is the shopping list ...

(SCAN0054.JPG)

(SCAN0055.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
SCAN0054.JPG (73KB - 23 downloads)
SCAN0055.JPG (60KB - 14 downloads)
2007-04-11 1:30 AM
in reply to: #755849

User image

Expert
In limbo
Wow that's quite a shopping list! I've realized that my biggest problem these days as far as nutrition is that i'm an extremely poor and extremely busy college student. As much as I would love to be eating good healthy, organic, free range, etc. ingredients in everything, most of what I eat comes out of a box with the directions of "just add water". I know I could be a lot healthier if I actually cooked for myself from scratch since now I take in way too many chemicals and preservatives and other yucky stuff. I think that's going to be one of the top things on my to do list after I graduate is to start playing around in the kitchen and learn how to really cook. In the meantime maybe I should start collecting recipes so I can at least occaisonally have a non pre-packaged meal.
2007-04-11 9:03 AM
in reply to: #756486

User image

Master
Morse Lake, Noblesville, Indiana
For poor starving college students, it's well worth the effort, and if you are in the dorm, your cafeteria should have healthy alternatives. If they don't, complain to the management. You are paying for the cafeteria service, so you should be able to eat what you want.

I assume you are actually off campus... Shop around for the healthy stuff. We have a few discount groceries (Aldi's & Low Bills) here in Indiana that have a particularly good selection of stuff at starving college student prices. If you don't have discount groceries, shop around at the mainstream groceries for the best deals, and be flexible. Depending on the week, Marsh & Kroger have their store brand yogurt on sale, usually 10 for $4. It's remarkably good for a store brand. That and $5 worth of bananas and strawberries, blended with ice and skim milk make for lunches for a week. Find out who has bread on sale, forget about the brand name, but who has BOGO bread for like $2, and get a big jar of peanut butter. Throw a banana on your sandwich and you have another good snack cheap.

A couple of weeks ago, our local Marsh had skinless/boneless chicken breast for $.49 a lb. I bought every thing they had and loaded up my freezer. I won't have to buy chicken breast for 6 months now, and it cost me about $30. The week after, they had boneless pork chops for $.99 a lb. Too bad I didn't have room in the deep freeze.

You can eat healthy cheaply. You just have to be creative, and be willing to have stuff other than box/can food. You'll find out once you start using "fresher" ingredients than the box/can stuff, it is actually cheaper, providing you shop around for the bargins and are a bit flexible.

Protien and Energy type of bars are nice, gels are good as well, but they are all expensive. You can do just as well with whole foods. Have a sandwich instead of an energy bar, honey works great for energy just before a workout... Be creative, have fun with it...
2007-04-11 9:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Horse Country
I feel your pain on the pricing ... being hungry more often obviously means you will spend more on food, but fresh food costs more too ... a double whammy! I've noticed my grocery bill going up substantially. I just try to find anything and everything on sale ... so Instead of going to the grocery for oranges ... I go to get fruit and buy whatevers on sale. Always buy the generic 'Kroger' brand, go for canned veggies ... and take advantage of the cafeteria if you can!
2007-04-11 9:23 AM

User image

Master
brummie land

this is called varsity pie and its from a recipe book aimed at students:

tin tuna

half tin sweetcorn

tin condensed soup - batchelors is the brand in the uk

shove all these in a dish, add buttered bread to cover and some cheese, bake.

gorgeous dish, very simple, cheap, and serve with other veg so healthy.

i maintain that eating healthily is cheaper than packaged meals. get staples in in a week you have $$ and you are sorted. i'd go for:

wholewheat pasta and rice

tinned toms and tomato puree

garlic and onions

veggie mince (cheaper than minced beef)

stock cubes (to cook with rice), chilli powder, dried basil and oregano

kidney beans

then get: peppers, salad stuff.

the above makes you chilli, and pasta sauces to make into spag bog with the veggie mince. i personally use salad dressing and cheese liberally so maybe that's why i haven't lost any weight recently! you can do without if you wish.

better go do some work, but give me a shout if you want more ideas. my ma is a cookery teacher so i have a few  

btw are you based in a cold or warm place, and do you eat lunch at home or on campus? 

2007-04-11 12:13 PM

Coeur d'Alene, ID
Eat more veggies, especially lettuce. By the time I'm done with a head of lettuce or a couple cups of broccoli, I don't want to look at more food. Breads, pasta and the like are cheap (monetarily) calories, but they're dense calories, so they aren't so good at filling you up.

And no cheese or dressing or yummy goodness on the veggies. A little vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper are enough seasoning.

As far as money goes, I mostly buy whatever meat is on sale, veggies, whatever fruit is on sale, eggs, milk, and cottage cheese. It costs me about $30 a week. I could probably get that down to $25 if I really price watched but I'm lazy and just go to the closest store.

Edited by superrad 2007-04-11 12:24 PM
2007-04-13 8:31 PM
in reply to: #753362

User image

Regular
New Zealand
drdi - 2007-04-09 6:44 AM

This won't work on long/hard training days, but on easy (workouts under 1 hour) or rest days this is how I got through it.  Suck it up Buttercup!  Yep, that's how I did it.  A LOT of it is mental.  First, during weightloss you are burning more calories than you are consuming.  It just makes sense that there are times during the day that you WILL feel hungry.  Accept it.  I just would tell myself that I am not going to die from feeling hungry.  Then I would think about all the starving people in the world that feel hungry all day, every day.  That would always make me feel puny for complaining about being hungry for a couple of hours.  After a couple of weeks, I got used to the occasional hungry feeling and it wasn't as bad as in the beginning.

Other things I would do to help is I would drink at least 4 oz of water anytime I felt really hungry.  I sucked on a lot of wintergreen Breathsaver mints (5 calories each) during the worst times.  I maybe consumed about 6-8 mints per day.

If I had a bike ride that would last several hours or something similar, then I would make sure to control my hunger.  But during day to day life and at work, if I got hungry as I was getting close to my next meal, I just lived with it. 

Diane

Amen to that.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Dealing with increased hunger? Rss Feed