General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Total Immersion Clinic in Kansas City Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-07 8:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Roeland Park
Subject: Total Immersion Clinic in Kansas City
Hey all those people in Kansas City-land. Since taking the TI clinic in STL a few weeks ago, I've been in contact with the coach out there. He is more that willing to come and host a clinic here!

The only thing he needs is a pool to do it at. That's where I could use your help.

I am trying to find a suitable pool to use on the weekends, that has a classroom for instruction and access to the pool for about 4.5 hrs on a Saturday/Sunday. This would mean no public access and only class participants.

It would be great to get some of that knowledge out this way, instead of having to travel to Chicago, St. Louis, Aurora, CO or Dallas. We would get our own right here.

If anyone knows of an aquatic center, high school, private school or Y, that would allow this type of use, please PM me the name (and contact person if you know someone).

Its a great tool that I highly recommend for people. I'm still trying to get it "just right" but it will take time and practice.

Thanks for your help in advance!

2007-04-08 8:23 PM
in reply to: #752260

User image

Subject: RE: Total Immersion Clinic in Kansas City
I would love to nominate the pool at Prairie Life Center in Olathe. I don't the authority to make it happen, but will try to talk to someone this week who might.
2007-04-08 9:19 PM
in reply to: #753180

User image

Veteran
Roeland Park
Sounds cool. I think there are a few of you guys swimming there now!
2007-04-08 9:29 PM
in reply to: #753222

User image

There are several triathletes in the Master Swim class. We doften do some TI drills, so others may very interested. I'll check around this week.
2007-04-09 11:11 AM
in reply to: #753231

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
Winnie - 2007-04-08 9:29 PM

There are several triathletes in the Master Swim class. We doften do some TI drills, so others may very interested. I'll check around this week.

Are you in the AM group? I swim there too, on Tues and Thurs nites and sometime on Sunday.
2007-04-09 11:13 AM
in reply to: #753769

User image

Yeah, I've been doing the 6 AM Tues, Thurs swims for a few months now. Kelly has helped me with TI drills to improve my technique.

2007-04-14 2:42 PM

User image

Kansas City
I'd be interested in attending it when you get it setup. I don't have any suggestions on where to have it though. I use the Jewish Community Center (its next to Sprint where I work), but I am pretty sure they will not be willing to close down the pool during normal hours.

d
2007-04-17 9:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Roeland Park
I've alerted Hap (the STL TI Coach) about Loretta at PLC Olathe. Hopefully, she will help get the ball rolling.

BTW, can a non PLC member attend the Masters' Classes? I work out at 24hr fitness.
2007-04-17 9:27 AM
in reply to: #764561

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA
kcguy - 2007-04-17 9:16 AM

I've alerted Hap (the STL TI Coach) about Loretta at PLC Olathe. Hopefully, she will help get the ball rolling.

BTW, can a non PLC member attend the Masters' Classes? I work out at 24hr fitness.

Thanks for Haps email. Loretta said she has been trying to get ahold of him, but there has been some breakdown in communication (I don't think the email address she has for him is correct....can't remember for sure).

I think you would be best served asking Loretta about joining the Master's Swim group. I think it's $10/day for a day pass, but maybe she will cut you a deal....couldn't say for sure.

Edited by VeganMan 2007-04-17 9:28 AM
2007-04-17 10:02 AM
in reply to: #764561

User image

I don't know about non-PLC members attending Master Swim classes. My suggestion would be to talk to Loretta about that. Do you happen to have an idea what the cost would to attend such a clinic?
2007-04-17 11:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, KS
I'm not sure how PLC works for master's swims & non-members. When I was looking around at gyms (to find a new one with a pool) to join, I seem to remember them saying you needed to be a member there to go to the class. (All classes are at no extra charge for members). But I could be confused.... maybe that was the JCC. Best to check with the directors at the gym. Still, if you're going to go even twice a week, if it is $10 a pop, you'd be better off to just join.
I do have some guest passes if anyone wants to come try it out first. Just PM me, or you can always stop by and they'll give you a free guest pass at the desk.

Mike, I'm doing the same master's class as you (6 am Tues/Thurs). I just started going a few weeks ago. I'm in the far north lane by the windows (the slow lane ). You should stop by and say hi before class sometime. I've only really met the other people in my lane and the instructor so far.

David, So this makes at least three of us here at Sprint (you, me, mars). Small world. We'll have to do a BT lunch sometime.

2007-04-17 1:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Roeland Park
For anyone attending the TI Clinics they are $495. You can put a $250 deposit down. Its a bit pricey. I was lucky in that my office paid for half of it. I footed the rest of the bill, but TOTALLY worth it.

You could also do payments if needed (I think) if he schedule's it far enough out. I think you'd have to do it by phone.

Well, if it gets too pricey at PLC, I will just stick with the 24hr fitness pool. I know that JCPRD has Masters' cards for the pool at Roeland Park. You would swim with the KC Blazers.

Edited by kcguy 2007-04-17 1:37 PM
2007-04-17 5:30 PM
in reply to: #764858

User image

Kansas City
LindaKC - 2007-04-17 11:55 AM
I'm not sure how PLC works for master's swims & non-members. When I was looking around at gyms (to find a new one with a pool) to join, I seem to remember them saying you needed to be a member there to go to the class. (All classes are at no extra charge for members). But I could be confused.... maybe that was the JCC.

JCC requires you to be a JCC member but then I think the master's swims are free.

LindaKC - 2007-04-17 11:55 AM
David, So this makes at least three of us here at Sprint (you, me, mars). Small world. We'll have to do a BT lunch sometime.

Yeah, that would be fun. Send me your Sprint info...
2007-04-17 6:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overland Park, KS
Yes, JCC masters classes are free if you are a member.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Total Immersion Clinic in Kansas City Rss Feed