United States
35F / 2C
Overcast
Total Time = 35m 11s
Overall Rank = 404/467
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 26/32
Pre-race routine:

Major mistakes here. Bad night with the baby, I don't know what was up with her sleeping. Anyway, woke up a little late with nothing "ready to go". Showered, got dressed, got the kids ready and started barking out orders to DH so he could help. He was racing too. He told that he made me a sweet potato for breakfast. What the *&$*#@? Should have been my response but it wasn't, I went running around the house to get us all together. When I finally ran into the kitchen it was too late to argue or make something else so I took two bites of the thing and went around packing the kids and car. I so did not feel like eating a sweet potato at 8 in the morning. In the car he explained that it was good carbs and easy to digest and blah blah blah. He is a runner from way back so I trusted him and ignored the cardinal rule of no few foods on or around race day. I was starving....i usually have a bagel with peanut butter a gatorade and a banana, two bites of a sweet potato didn't cut it. Later I found out that he had read it recently as a suggestion in a women's magazine. I will not be following his advice again on nutrition anytime soon.
Event warmup:

Got to the race, picked up our stuff and I took a little jog down to the parking lot and back. Mostly to forget about how hungry I was and it was way too late to eat at that point...sweet potato...jeeze!
Run
  • 35m 11s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

I stayed with my sister Nota. Mary was watching all the kids! (YEAH MARY!) I had never started in a race with so many people so I couldn't gage what we were doing. They started us with bagpipes, that was a nice touch! Set my sites on some chick that looked about my age and size and decided to stick with her. When we got to mile 1 and i found out we were at 10:23 I darn nearly fell over. I have NEVER run a road mile under 11:30! On the dreadmill, yes but never on the road. So I was psyched and proud of myself but then I think I let up too much maybe part mental and maybe part physical from pushing so hard in mile 1. Started mile 2 pretty strong but needed a break and walked for about a minute. Saw Mr. Sweet Potato himself finishing mile 2 (just about) and cheered for him got all pumped up to start running again. I guess Nora could tell I was hurting (and I forgot my i-pod in the morning commotion) so she started a cadence, like a military thing and it so totally rocked! Pumped us both back up and off we went. Took some water after we made the turn in mile 2 (near the end of it) and that was a big mistake. I spilled it on myself and was immediately FREEZING, took one sip which turned my gum to a rock so I dumped the rest and ended up carrying the darn cup well into mile 3 because I cannot ever bring myself to throw them on the ground but I finally found a garbage can. Took two more walk breaks, 1 minute each. Nora had gotten a little ahead but then I caught up to her on my last leg, looked at her and said "we are already almost at 10 for this mile" and we both threw it into high gear to the finish. I am convinced that she let up a little so I could come in before her and try to get my goal of 35. Those 11 seconds make me mad. I blame the sweet potato (ha ha). The official time reads more like 35:26 but we didn't start at the front of the pack so I am going by my watch since I hit it as we crossed the start.
What would you do differently?:

NOT eat a sweet potato!
Post race
Warm down:

Met up with Mary, Jorge, Pete, Brianna, Cate, Shay and Bongo the wonder dog. Went over to get our after race grub which was awesome...way more than a banana and water like most. Stayed for some of the age grouper awards and to listen to the speech given by Maureen King, Sgt. Pat's widow (this was the 10 year anniversary of the memorial run).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition and confidence

Event comments:

I would do this again. Good race for a good cause.

Last updated: 2007-04-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:35:11 | 03.1 miles | 11m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/32
Overall: 0/467
Performance: Good
Course: Along the ocean which was pretty and COLD!
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-04-07 10:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Sgt. Pat King Memorial

2007-04-08 12:03 PM
in reply to: #752700

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Subject: RE: Sgt. Pat King Memorial
Don't you just love the advice from the DH!!!!   Sometimes you just want to scream!!!  Very good pace for the start!!!  I don't think I've ever run a 10:23!!   Way to go. It's a b**&^ running in the wind so I'm proud of you. Very good race report.  I instantly started to chuckle!! 
2007-04-08 2:42 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

hey, thanks for the RR, now I can stop twitching from RR withdrawal... if only Nora would join BT and write one!

in theory i think a sweet potato might work on a training run, but certainly not on race day... sorry bout the confusion of the morning getting in the way of nutrition. you'll be better prepared for the next 5K - which WILL be under 35 minutes, especially if i can be your pacer!

i was hoping to email you the pictures i took - but jorge took the camera with him into the city where he's having easter dinner tonight. there's a great one of you at the end w/a look of sheer determination on your face!

i'll send 'em soon! in the meantime - CONGA-RATS!

Edited by marymosc13 2007-04-08 2:43 PM

(cg6cp.gif)

Attachments
----------------
cg6cp.gif (10KB - 21 downloads)
2007-04-08 5:00 PM

User image

Expert
Williamsburg, VA
Post those pictures on BT.  I want to see them!!!
2007-04-08 5:51 PM
in reply to: #753055

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

sk2a2005 - 2007-04-08 6:00 PM Post those pictures on BT.  I want to see them!!!
as soon as i can get 'em to Carol, she'll be in charge of where they go... i assume she'll post 'em here!

funny story - most of the pics i took came out great... murphy's law tho, the dog must've pulled the leash as i snapped the ones of Jorge coming down the stretch because a couple of those pics had cropped his head off. he was none too pleased.

2007-04-08 10:02 PM
in reply to: #753084

User image

Veteran
i don't know how to post pics here.  every time i try it tells me the thing is too big and then i don't have the time to play with it.

2007-04-08 10:03 PM
in reply to: #753260

User image

Veteran
fyi...he took his own advice with the sweet potato and part of the reason we were running late that morning was he kept running to the bathroom!  that'll teach him!
2007-04-09 8:29 AM
in reply to: #753261

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ

mosc11 - 2007-04-08 11:03 PM fyi...he took his own advice with the sweet potato and part of the reason we were running late that morning was he kept running to the bathroom!  that'll teach him!

oooops!

but you guys were there so dang early??? i'm confused!

2007-04-09 8:37 AM
in reply to: #753447

User image

Veteran
we wanted to leave by 8 and left at 8:45
2007-04-09 11:13 AM

User image

Master
CT
LOL! loved your race report!

Regarding the sweet potatoes. I swear by them as a pre-race food, but prefer to have mine the night before a race. They are excellent for carb loading, but must be consumed with enough time for digesting. I would never eat one for breakfast the morning of .

Great race and report!
2007-04-11 12:42 PM

User image

Veteran
What a great race report, you definetly made me smile  And these silly things our husbands do?  Well we wouldn't have good stories to tell without them, would we?  Anyway you did a super job and I look forward to reading your next report when you come in under 35.  You go girl!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sgt. Pat King Memorial Rss Feed