Pat Tillman Foundation
86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 43m 3s
Overall Rank = 4338/9461
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 616/1766
Pre-race routine:

Ate a bowl of shredded wheat with some soy milk.
Event warmup:

Walked about three-quarters of a mile from my house to the start. Waited around for around twenty minutes.
Run
  • 43m 3s
  • 4.2 miles
  • 10m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out about five minutes behind the line and slowly weaved my way into a comfortable position, dodging stroller parents and small children and walkers and various other things the whole time. After about five minutes I started cramping - and it wasn't a running cramp, it was a girl cramp - and actually grabbed water at the first water stop. At the two mile mark I looked down at my watch and I was at 19:30, which is a bit faster than my normal pace, and I slowed up a bit after that. Kept going and grabbed some more water at the third stop and poured it on my head, as it was getting kind of hot and I was still cramping. Sprinted to the finish as I entered the stadium and I actually had to wait about 15 seconds to step on the timing mat since people were falling over trying to take their chips off immediately after the finish line, which was a little annoying.
What would you do differently?:

Start out a bit slower and start much, much, much closer to the line as there was a lot of weaving going on.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited about fifteen minutes to get out of the stadium, where they were funneling ten thousand people through one gate. Grabbed some water and an apple and walked home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Uh, female parts (which stayed crampy for another few hours - definitely not running cramps). I should also get some more actual long runs in as my "long runs" have been slightly more than four miles over the last few weeks.

Event comments:

Fun local race. It's weird to run with that many people.

Last updated: 2007-04-06 12:00 AM
Running
00:43:03 | 04.2 miles | 10m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 616/1766
Overall: 4338/9461
Performance: Average
Course: Around Tempe Town Lake to the 42-yard line of Sun Devil Stadium.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-04-07 10:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mountain View, CA
Subject: Pat's Run

2007-04-08 12:32 PM
in reply to: #752709

User image

Mesa
Subject: RE: Pat's Run
Good job! Way to fight through the female troubles. LOL

Were you in the finish area when it was backed up to get over the finish line?
2007-04-08 9:48 PM
in reply to: #752944

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mountain View, CA
Subject: RE: Pat's Run
Yeah, I definitely was. It was only a little backed up when I finished and I think it got a little worse. I had to wait a while to get out of the stadium - I saw people climbing over a fence because at some point the herd of people wasn't moving at all!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pat's Run Rss Feed