General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Don't know much about Transitioning Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-08 10:10 PM

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
Subject: Don't know much about Transitioning
My first TRI is in June 9 (Tri for Fun, Rancho Seco CA) and I have not had a chance to go watch the veterans to see what they do during T1.
1) Can you ride your bike out of the transition area?
2) Do they ran with cleats out the T area? if so, how?
3) how do you get sand out of your feet before the Bike ride?
4) Any suggestions on shorts that do well on all three sports?
Any Advice will be greatly appreciated !! I Can't wait until race day. Thanks

2007-04-08 10:33 PM
in reply to: #753267

User image

Master
"Home of Superman"
Subject: RE: Don't know much about Transitioning
Congrats on your first tri. You will love it!

1. No you can't ride out of transition. You have to push your bike to the area where they will let you mount it. Usually it is just past the timing mat.

2. Yes, very carefully! Unless you are a person that keeps our shoes on/connected to your bike and can put them on on the fly.

3.There are as many answers to this as there are people on this web site. I personally just use the towel that I have all my transition stuff on. I don't think itis as inportant to get it all off in T-1 as it is in T-2

4. Tri shorts are the best. As far as what kind well that depends on the person. I like the ones with the removeable pad. I can take it out real easy during T-2

5. ENJOY! The first time you will be very nervous. You know what you can do and your strong points. Pratice both transitions before the race, it sounds silly but really helps. There are a thousand tips on the board that will be of help. Let everyone know how it turned out for you.
2007-04-08 10:50 PM

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County

I know that course pretty well... having done races there three summers in a row.

You cannot ride in transition, but it's a small area.  You just walk/run your bike out to "Bike Out" and then mount and ride away.

I am new to cleats and clipless pedals, but, yes, you run with them.  Very carefully.  It's only about 60 feet across, so at most that's how far you have run.  It's nothing.

You won't have to worry about sand.  There's a bit of a grassy slope that you run up from the swim to transition.  The grass is soft and cool and dewy, so your feet will be nice and clean.  But, I always keep a second, smaller towel to wipe any grass off before I pull on my socks.

Tri shorts are great.  I like my DeSoto shorts.  Eric likes his RNH shorts.  The have a chamois that helps on the bike, but doesn't get in the way of the swim or run. 

It's a great race, and the TBF folks are beyond wonderful.  Everyone is super supportive and the atmosphere is fantastic.  I'm getting all excited just thinking about it.

I'll try to dig through my digital photos from past races and upload them to my album here.  When I do, I'll let you know so you can check it out.

The swim is wonderful.  It's in a man-made lake that fairly shallow, so the water is not too cool, but not too warm.

The bike is great.  Other than the speedbumps and Botts dots on the road leading out of the park, it's fairly flat and a nice ride.

The run is kinda sucky.  It's hot.  And dry.  And exposed.  It's on a fire road that runs around the outside of the park, along side a pasture full of cows (who mooo as you run by sometimes).  But there's an aid station with volunteers with ice and water and gels.

My favorite thing is coming in on the run, and around the last 5 mile, you can really hear the celebration at the finish line.  It really gives me an extra boost to keep going.

You're going to have so much fun! 

2007-04-09 9:50 AM

User image

Thank you very much for the help!
2007-04-09 12:37 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
  1. No, you cannot ride out of the transition area.  If you do, you will be disqualified.
  2. Some triathletes run out of the t-area, but I prefer to walk ... it si safer.
  3. To get the sand out of my feet, I sit down, clena them with some water from a squirt bottle, dry them off and put on my socks and shes.
  4. Tri shorts are best but I did my whole first season using cycling shorts and had no problems.

Edited by Machiavelo 2007-04-09 12:42 PM
2007-04-09 1:06 PM

Veteran
San Jose, CA
I've also heard baby powder is good for getting sand off, if you need it. Haven't tried it out myself yet.

This is the series my husband and I are looking into for next summer (once his ankle's fixed; the series I do is all-women), so I can't wait to hear how it goes. Good luck!

2007-04-09 3:42 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
All good advice. Here's my input FWIW:

1) No. Wait until you get to the mounting line. Stay to the far right as you get going if you're kind of slow getting the cleats into the pedals and building up speed.
2) I run with cleats (carefully). Don't worry about that whole "shoes in the pedal" thing unless you're really fast.
3) I lay my shoes out on a towel -- that way I can wipe my feet off real quickly.
4) Tri shorts -- you'll grow to love them.

Advice? Practice it a few times and you'll do fine. You'll see plenty of flustered looking people in the transition area -- they're the ones who didn't practice.

By the way, your training looks very consistent -- way to go, and good luck!
2007-04-09 3:58 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

There's been a lot of threads on this lately.  Do a forum search and you'll find tons of recent advice.

Your thread title has me singing, and that's never a good thing:

Don't know much 'bout transitioning,
don't know much heart rate training
don't know much about swimming strokes
don't know much about HED tri spokes.

But I do know that I'll make a splash
and I know that if I do not crash
What a wonderful race it will be.

2007-04-09 4:48 PM
in reply to: #754334

Veteran
San Jose, CA
hangloose - 2007-04-09 1:58 PM

There's been a lot of threads on this lately. Do a forum search and you'll find tons of recent advice.

OMG I have a new training mantra. Thanks hangloose!
2007-04-09 5:36 PM

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
I did my first tri a few weeks ago, here's what the advise I can give. Get a plan a stick with it. Don't worry to much about T1 and T2.. your T2 will be somewhat faster than your T1. focus on staying relaxed and take 1 stage at a time. Remember this is your first tri, all you want to do is finish and have a good time doing it. You fix things on the next tri, because you know what to expect....

later, good luck, TRI HARD
momo

I posted something about two weeks ago called, transition area swimming help.. i received some great advise.

Edited by momo 2007-04-09 5:41 PM
2007-04-09 8:46 PM
in reply to: #754334

User image

Extreme Veteran
hangloose - 2007-04-09 1:58 PM

There's been a lot of threads on this lately.  Do a forum search and you'll find tons of recent advice.

HAHAHA LOVE IT!

2007-04-09 8:58 PM
in reply to: #753282

User image

Elite
Chicago, IL

medic1962 - 2007-04-08 10:33 PM Congrats on your first tri. You will love it! 1. No you can't ride out of transition. You have to push your bike to the area where they will let you mount it. Usually it is just past the timing mat. 2. Yes, very carefully! Unless you are a person that keeps our shoes on/connected to your bike and can put them on on the fly. 3.There are as many answers to this as there are people on this web site. I personally just use the towel that I have all my transition stuff on. I don't think itis as inportant to get it all off in T-1 as it is in T-2 4. Tri shorts are the best. As far as what kind well that depends on the person. I like the ones with the removeable pad. I can take it out real easy during T-2 5. ENJOY! The first time you will be very nervous. You know what you can do and your strong points. Pratice both transitions before the race, it sounds silly but really helps. There are a thousand tips on the board that will be of help. Let everyone know how it turned out for you.

removeable pad?  I was hoping I could drop my biking shorts and put on my running shorts... I'm sure people do that right?  I mean it's only underwear!!!  Seriously, do people do that?

2007-04-09 11:30 PM
in reply to: #754667

User image

Uhm.. I was wondering the same thing, do people do change shorts ?
2007-04-09 11:41 PM
in reply to: #754795

User image

Master
"Home of Superman"
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I have a pair of tri shorts that has a pad in them that can be removed without changing shorts. I didn' t mean change shorts. Just remove the pad during T2.
2007-04-10 2:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Most people just use tri shorts, which are basically cycling shorts but with a much smaller chamois that doesn't retain the water from the swim and doesn't interfere with running, but is still effective on the bike.
2007-04-10 8:09 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
You can nickel and dime yourself to death getting triathlon-related gear. Most of it you can do without, but tri-shorts are the one essential you should get before your first race.

They're not very expensive and they work great. And if you're like me, you'll like wearing them more than regular bike shorts after a while.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Don't know much about Transitioning Rss Feed