Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Imus and Rutger's Women's Basketball. Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2007-04-11 3:53 PM
in reply to: #757274

User image

Master
Northern California
Subject: RE: Imus and Rutger's Women's Basketball.
Bluejack - 2007-04-11 10:14 AM
ChuckyFinster - 2007-04-11 10:40 AM
Bluejack - 2007-04-11 4:10 AM

Discuss.

My take is that Imus is truely sorry for hurting the feelings of these young women, and if they can forgive him we should too. Two weeks suspension is a little light. But I don't think he should be fired. Give him a chance to do some good. But I may be wrong.

What is fair punishment? Any punishment? Why isn't an appology enough? Who does he owe an appology to? Does Imus=Ken?

I'm interested in what people have to say.

2 questions... 1. Who listens to Imus? 2. Who watches women's basketball (that doesn't bet on it or play it)? Based on those two questions.... Who cares?

Clearly no one cares about this and it isn't worth talking about.

I'm originally from Mass.and lots of people cared about UConn Womens' Basketball. Imus is very well known in the Northeast, particularly NewJersey. So while YOU may not care, Chuck, plenty of people obviously do.

People cared about the Uconn team because they won. If they lost, no one would care. 

2007-04-11 3:54 PM
in reply to: #757320

User image

Master
Northern California

possum - 2007-04-11 10:40 AM anyone else intrigued by that fact that we have 50 posts in this thread, and to my knowledge, not a single black person much less a black woman?

No Chinese either. A drought of multi-sport athletes in these ethnic backgrounds? 

2007-04-11 4:03 PM
in reply to: #756562

User image

Expert
BFE
Who really cares what Don Imus says? He's an entertainer. Does it really make an impact? Does it make it true? Was it funny? Sorta. Not quite as funny as Chris Rock:

My uncle B., years old, hates
the white people, married to a white lady.
And he sits around going,
''These crackers ain't s**t, except for Susie.''
He said, ''Yeah, l got a white wife. l love her,
she love me. That's all that matters.
''But l'll tell you this:
if the revolution ever come, l'll kill her first...
''just to show these crackers
l mean business!
''Motherf*****r, cracker-a**, motherf****r
cracker! Sh**, cracker, mother*****r!

Where was Rev AL and Jessie after Chris made millions on this one. As a matter of fact he even poked fun at Rev Al and Jessie during the same bit. Grow up.
The only thing Don Imus is guilty of is trying to be funny in a John Kerryish, Howard Sternish sort of way.
2007-04-11 4:12 PM
in reply to: #757735

User image

Master
FALLS-RUNNER - 2007-04-11 5:03 PM

Who really cares what Don Imus says? He's an entertainer. Does it really make an impact? Does it make it true? Was it funny? Sorta. Not quite as funny as Chris Rock:

My uncle B., years old, hates
the white people, married to a white lady.
And he sits around going,
''These crackers ain't s**t, except for Susie.''
He said, ''Yeah, l got a white wife. l love her,
she love me. That's all that matters.
''But l'll tell you this:
if the revolution ever come, l'll kill her first...
''just to show these crackers
l mean business!
''Motherf*****r, cracker-a**, motherf****r
cracker! Sh**, cracker, mother*****r!

Where was Rev AL and Jessie after Chris made millions on this one. As a matter of fact he even poked fun at Rev Al and Jessie during the same bit. Grow up.
The only thing Don Imus is guilty of is trying to be funny in a John Kerryish, Howard Sternish sort of way.

i'm sorry, what part of calling black women "nappy headed hos" is funny? do explain.

and here's the full conversation:
IMUS: So, I watched the basketball game last night between -- a little bit of Rutgers and Tennessee, the women's final.

ROSENBERG: Yeah, Tennessee won last night -- seventh championship for [Tennessee coach] Pat Summitt, I-Man. They beat Rutgers by 13 points.

IMUS: That's some rough girls from Rutgers. Man, they got tattoos and --

McGUIRK: Some hard-core hos.

IMUS: That's some nappy-headed hos there. I'm gonna tell you that now, man, that's some -- woo. And the girls from Tennessee, they all look cute, you know, so, like -- kinda like -- I don't know.

McGUIRK: A Spike Lee thing.

IMUS: Yeah.

McGUIRK: The Jigaboos vs. the Wannabes -- that movie that he had.

IMUS: Yeah, it was a tough --

McCORD: Do The Right Thing.

McGUIRK: Yeah, yeah, yeah.

IMUS: I don't know if I'd have wanted to beat Rutgers or not, but they did, right?

ROSENBERG: It was a tough watch. The more I look at Rutgers, they look exactly like the Toronto Raptors.

IMUS: Well, I guess, yeah.

RUFFINO: Only tougher.

McGUIRK: The [Memphis] Grizzlies would be more appropriate.

oh, my sides, they are splitting. har har har. "jigaboos"...hi-larious.

Edited by jimbo 2007-04-11 4:17 PM
2007-04-11 4:16 PM
in reply to: #757749

User image

Master
Northern California

jimbo - 2007-04-11 2:12 PM
FALLS-RUNNER - 2007-04-11 5:03 PM Who really cares what Don Imus says? He's an entertainer. Does it really make an impact? Does it make it true? Was it funny? Sorta. Not quite as funny as Chris Rock: My uncle B., years old, hates the white people, married to a white lady. And he sits around going, ''These crackers ain't s**t, except for Susie.'' He said, ''Yeah, l got a white wife. l love her, she love me. That's all that matters. ''But l'll tell you this: if the revolution ever come, l'll kill her first... ''just to show these crackers l mean business! ''Motherf*****r, cracker-a**, motherf****r cracker! Sh**, cracker, mother*****r! Where was Rev AL and Jessie after Chris made millions on this one. As a matter of fact he even poked fun at Rev Al and Jessie during the same bit. Grow up. The only thing Don Imus is guilty of is trying to be funny in a John Kerryish, Howard Sternish sort of way.
i'm sorry, what part of calling black women "nappy headed hos" is funny? do explain. .

I think we can all agree that it was NOT funny. Move along. 

2007-04-11 4:24 PM
in reply to: #757755

User image

Master
coachese - 2007-04-11 5:16 PM

if by "all" you mean "everyone but falls-runner who said it was 'sorta' funny," then yeah, fine.

2007-04-11 4:29 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
I sense the horse is dead...
2007-04-11 4:29 PM
in reply to: #757749

User image

Expert
BFE
jimbo - 2007-04-11 4:12 PM

• As funny as a monkey riding a kitten.
    2007-04-11 4:31 PM
    in reply to: #757765

User image

Master
    Northern California
    jimbo - 2007-04-11 2:24 PM
    coachese - 2007-04-11 5:16 PM

if by "all" you mean "everyone but falls-runner who said it was 'sorta' funny," then yeah, fine.

Ok Don Quixote - your mission is fulfilled. 

2007-04-11 6:04 PM
    in reply to: #757775

User image

Master
    FALLS-RUNNER - 2007-04-11 5:29 PM

jimbo - 2007-04-11 4:12 PM

• As funny as a monkey riding a kitten.

apparently not. MSNBC fired imus.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17999196/
    2007-04-11 9:50 PM
    in reply to: #757710

User image

Elite
    Evans, GA
    coachese - 2007-04-11 3:53 PM
    Bluejack - 2007-04-11 10:14 AM
    ChuckyFinster - 2007-04-11 10:40 AM
    Bluejack - 2007-04-11 4:10 AM

Discuss.

My take is that Imus is truely sorry for hurting the feelings of these young women, and if they can forgive him we should too. Two weeks suspension is a little light. But I don't think he should be fired. Give him a chance to do some good. But I may be wrong.

What is fair punishment? Any punishment? Why isn't an appology enough? Who does he owe an appology to? Does Imus=Ken?

I'm interested in what people have to say.

2 questions... 1. Who listens to Imus? 2. Who watches women's basketball (that doesn't bet on it or play it)? Based on those two questions.... Who cares?

Clearly no one cares about this and it isn't worth talking about.

I'm originally from Mass.and lots of people cared about UConn Womens' Basketball. Imus is very well known in the Northeast, particularly NewJersey. So while YOU may not care, Chuck, plenty of people obviously do.

People cared about the Uconn team because they won. If they lost, no one would care. 

The last I looked a semifinalist is still a success. 

2007-04-12 1:01 AM

User image

Coach
    Stairway to Seven
    For what it's worth...as an interesting aside...

I went to see one of those black stand up comedy movies (kings of comedy) with 3 Black Friends, actually Africans, I don't know if that makes a difference.

I was horribly, horribly offended by every racist and sexist joke in the movie to the point where I almost walked out. THe 3 of them were laughing hysterically. I really didn't get it. There is clearly some aspect of culture that I (as a white female), will never ever be able to relate to as hard as I try to understand it.

My roommate in med school for 2 years is African, moved to Dallas when he was 5, and shared with me a lot of insight into the black culture. what I thought was ironic is that he was treated as an "african american" even though he was African. There is a difference in culture for sure but he looked the part and got racist treatment frequently. Had he had an NIgerian accent like his parents and dressed in traditional clothing, he may have actually been treated better in some cases.

I'm probably not making any sense. Just figured I'd throw out some other topic unrelated ot the original post...
    2007-04-12 11:08 AM

User image

Champion
    Chicago, Illinois
    I think its a real shame that the real winners get no credit. We are talking about fine looking women of Tenn.

People talk about Rutgers being the best of the best and yet they lost. They are not the best unless you call them the best losers.

I think he was trying to speak street.jive, ebonics,rap, or whatever its being called today. I guess it reminds me of professional wrrestling. Some girls out are the reall cute but tough girls and some are the ones that seem kinda scary. Then again where was all this hoopla when scary spice was named scary?

I went to more college girls basketball games than the men's games and I went to every single girls and boy high school basketball game when I was in high school atleast until I was a senior. When I was a senior I just did not care. For me it was a love of the sport. I should check out the female pro basketball only because I can not stand men professional basketball anymore too much showtime and not enough team play.

I jsut talkeds to the black lady I work with and she agrees with me. In our time of need we need Dave Chapella to make us all laugh at how stupid the last few days have been.

2007-04-15 6:37 PM
    in reply to: #758646

User image

Buttercup

Just when you thought (hoped) this thread was dead...

So, I've been watching the news programs this weekend. I'd never listened to Imus, didn't know anything about his show. Now I do and now that I do, I have no compassion for the guy. His yanking was overdue, IMO.

Good riddance.

2007-04-16 1:46 AM

We, as a society, have become too thin-skinned. Everytime someone puts his/her foot in the mouth ( has the audacity to be human ), the hypocrites come out of the woodwork to cast the first stone. Don Imus is and always was a "shock jock". It's his job to "shock". If you don't like it, turn the channel. Why is he being held to a higher standard than Howard Stern or for that matter Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh? And how is a double standard now so right? A black rapper or comedian can say these things and a white shock jock cannot? The Hispanic comedian Mencia says terrible things about Hispanics and gets laughs, but if I were to say the same things I would be labled a racist.

And as for Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, these two bums should be run out of town. Just search their names on the web to see their list of disservice to the black community and society as a whole. If it weren't for racial unrest, these two knuckleheads would be out of a job. They make a living out of going around the country and throwing gas on fires. Don Imus appologized to the girls he offended ( they probably didn't even know who he was until Al Sharpton started his finger-pointing ) and Sharpton took it upon himself to refuse the appology. How very Christian of him - isn't he a man of the cloth? These two phonies should be offering solutions to advance racial relations instead of constantly pitting one race against another. Jesse Jackson ran down to Duke when that whole mess started and accused the Lacrosse players of all kinds of terrible things (innocent until proven guilty?) and now that all charges have been dropped, has he been made to wear the hair shirt, to eat humble pie, to grovel for forgiveness for a week like Don Imus has? No! These two bozos never appologize for the harm they cause. They sneak out of town to find the next molehill to build a mountain on.

This country was founded on the right to free speech. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Unfortunately it now seems that you better keep your mouth shut if your opinion isn't "politically correct". We are becoming a nation of automatons - robots that can only repeat what their builders have programmed them to say, only we hold out tongues out of fear of retaliation for voicing an opinion that is outside the "norm". The individual is slowly disappearing - being absorbed. And we, as a world power, have the balls to march around the globe and force our "pseudo-democracy" on other countries? I sometimes think it's about time we wipe the slate clean and start from the beginning - a "do over".
    2007-04-16 7:51 AM
    in reply to: #762503

User image

Buttercup

We, as a society, have become too dumbed-down and complacent with garbage.

This isn't a free speech issue - aside from the fact that broadcasting is a privilege, not a right, the government did not intervene (as they did with Garbage Master Stern). This is a free market issue - and the free market has decided that garbage is no longer such a good sell.

Edited by Renee 2007-04-16 7:54 AM

2007-04-16 8:15 AM
    in reply to: #762624

User image

COURT JESTER
    ROCKFORD, IL
    Renee - 2007-04-16 6:51 AM

We, as a society, have become too dumbed-down and complacent with garbage.

This isn't a free speech issue - aside from the fact that broadcasting is a privilege, not a right, the government did not intervene (as they did with Garbage Master Stern). This is a free market issue - and the free market has decided that garbage is no longer such a good sell.

That logic, that the free market has decided that garbage is not such a good sell, would indicate that the rest of the ‘shock jocks’ in the country are working on borrowed time and that their day is coming to no longer spew the garbage as they do.  Or, perhaps, indeed garbage does still sell as long as the person spewing it doesn’t make such a dumb remark as Imus did.  You know, as long as the garbage still brings in the ratings, the ratings still attract the advertisers, the advertisers still bring in the money.  So, perhaps the money is driving things instead of the market.  Perhaps money and the market walk hand in hand instead of garbage and the market.
    2007-04-16 11:46 AM

User image

Elite
    Venture Industries,

First let me make it clear, that Imus is a jerk and his statement regarding the Rutgers Womens Baskeball Team was clearlly offensive.  That said,  the same day that Imus was fired the North Carolina Attorney general announced that they were dropping all charges against 3 Duke LaCrosse players.

The day before Rev. Al Sharpton was on TV lamenting the horrors that had been bestowed upon the Rutgers women.    Meanwhile the injustice afforded the 3 Duke Lacrosse players was all but ignored in favor of the Rutgers/Imus story.

Let's put some things in perspective, ultimately, while Imus' statement was offensive, they were, in the end, only words.

Contrast that to 3 Duke Lacrosse players who were wrongfully accussed of a henious crime.  Where a cowardly, filthy district attorney used the case and race and economic issues to get re-elected.  Where Rev. Sharpton and Rev. Jesse Jackson came out and villified these 3 men prior to the case ever being resolved in Court. Where Rev. Sharpton called for a conviction based solely upon race, and stated that an acquital would be an injustice.  The fact that 90 Duke professors signed a petition denouncing the Duke Lacrosse players.  The fact that the Lacrosse coach was forced to quit, and the Duke Lacrosse program was cancelled for a year. 

So who was truely wronged here?  What is a bigger social story?  Imus' words had little real effect.  They were a verbal insult. 

The Duke Lacrosse case implicates a dirty DA, the use of three innocent men for political gain by that DA, as well as by Sharpton and Jackson.  Not to mention the real effects that the case had not only on the men wrongfully accussed, but on the Lacrosse players that had their season cancelled, as well as the notion that supposed intellectual professors at one of the best universities in the country, used thier possitions at the school to judge these men before a single piece of evidence had come to light.

The Imus story is an interesting tid-bit.  Imus is a jerk.  But the Duke lacrosse case is a tragedy. 

There is far more social implications in the Duke Lacrosse case then in the Imus/Rutgers case.

2007-04-16 12:05 PM
    in reply to: #763133

User image

COURT JESTER
    ROCKFORD, IL
    ASA22 - 2007-04-16 10:46 AM

First let me make it clear, that Imus is a jerk and his statement regarding the Rutgers Womens Baskeball Team was clearlly offensive.  That said,  the same day that Imus was fired the North Carolina Attorney general announced that they were dropping all charges against 3 Duke LaCrosse players.

The day before Rev. Al Sharpton was on TV lamenting the horrors that had been bestowed upon the Rutgers women.    Meanwhile the injustice afforded the 3 Duke Lacrosse players was all but ignored in favor of the Rutgers/Imus story.

Let's put some things in perspective, ultimately, while Imus' statement was offensive, they were, in the end, only words.

Contrast that to 3 Duke Lacrosse players who were wrongfully accussed of a henious crime.  Where a cowardly, filthy district attorney used the case and race and economic issues to get re-elected.  Where Rev. Sharpton and Rev. Jesse Jackson came out and villified these 3 men prior to the case ever being resolved in Court. Where Rev. Sharpton called for a conviction based solely upon race, and stated that an acquital would be an injustice.  The fact that 90 Duke professors signed a petition denouncing the Duke Lacrosse players.  The fact that the Lacrosse coach was forced to quit, and the Duke Lacrosse program was cancelled for a year. 

So who was truely wronged here?  What is a bigger social story?  Imus' words had little real effect.  They were a verbal insult. 

The Duke Lacrosse case implicates a dirty DA, the use of three innocent men for political gain by that DA, as well as by Sharpton and Jackson.  Not to mention the real effects that the case had not only on the men wrongfully accussed, but on the Lacrosse players that had their season cancelled, as well as the notion that supposed intellectual professors at one of the best universities in the country, used thier possitions at the school to judge these men before a single piece of evidence had come to light.

The Imus story is an interesting tid-bit.  Imus is a jerk.  But the Duke lacrosse case is a tragedy. 

There is far more social implications in the Duke Lacrosse case then in the Imus/Rutgers case.

I'm waiting patiently for Jackson and Sharpton to issue an apology to those three young men.  

Oh, Jesse and Al...Where are you??????

2007-04-16 12:56 PM

In Imus' case, I don't think the free market had anything to do with it. MSNBC and CBS radio canned Imus to show Sharpton and Jackson how racially sensitive they are. Imus was the sacrificial lamb offered up to appease these self appointed "civil rights leaders" ( neither one is worth a bucket of Malcolm or Martin's spit ). The same goes with the 90 professors at Duke - they saw an opportunity to get off their overpaid (butts) and protest an injustice - just like back in the 1960's ( how nostalgic ) - unfortunately for them, they threw all their eggs into a basket with no bottom. Again, a group trying to show everyone ( especially the two publicity hounds ) how racially sensitive they are while ignoring facts and legal procedure.

This is in no way an issue of "free market", this is an issue of America losing it's diversity. What ever happened to being an individual? What ever happened to having a different opinion? I don't care if it was on public radio - if the stations only air opinions, shows and views that are "politically correct" and non-controversial, then we might as well just sit around watching Romper Room all day. We Are All Different! That is what makes us special, unique. We are not stamped cookie cut-outs. I wish everyone would stop making (butts) out of themselves trying to convince others ( and sometimes themselves ) how racially/religiously/nationality/economicly/age/height/weight/ect. sensitive and equal they are. Equality should not be measured on a vertical scale but rather a horizontal one - not equal BUT different, rather, equal AND unique. Celebrate your uniqueness and promote it. Don't use it as a crutch, or an excuse for failure, or a "race card". Viva La Difference!

Edited by tstessney 2007-04-16 12:59 PM
    2007-04-16 1:10 PM

User image

Champion
    Chicago, Illinois

Imus case and Duke is no where near the same.

Did we hear one duke player come out and say I will be scared for life because of what Rev Sharption or Rev Jackson said? no. 1 of the rutgers girls did say that Imus comments scared her for life.

See how more important the Imus issue is?

Rutger girls are a victum of they way they choose to express themselves and not because of there race or gender. A friend of mine is really into body modication. You can see her on the learning channel every once in awhile on a show about it. She is one of the sweetest most peiceful people you will ever met yet people will make comments and even fear her because of the colors of her hair, her peirceings, scaring, brandings, and tattooes she has. ITs like the old saying you can not judge a book by its cover but we do make judgements about it because of it.

All I can say is I miss communism. During the age of Communism we could not get away with alot of what is going on in this country.

best articale I every read on the subject

http://www.kansascity.com/182/story/66339.html

Edited by chirunner134 2007-04-16 1:10 PM

2007-04-16 6:15 PM
    in reply to: #763328

Master
    Colorado

chirunner134 - 2007-04-16 2:10 PM  All I can say is I miss communism. During the age of Communism we could not get away with alot of what is going on in this country.

Prison. Albuquerque.  See I can do it too. (Someone name the movie...)

Since this topic has been beaten beyond recognition, I'll hijack and throw out a "Seriously, WTF"? I see a more logical connection between Relativity and Elizabeth Hurley's attraction to Hugh Grant.

2007-04-16 6:23 PM
    in reply to: #762503

User image

Extreme Veteran
    I don't think it is thin-skinned to object to being called "nappy-headed ho's." I cannot imagine how I would feel if it was my freshman daughter on that team. What Imus said was inexcusable, and he is not just a "shock-jock" or entertainer, as many on this thread are claiming. He is a major media figure, he interviews the Vice-President, Senators and presidential candidates. He said a terribly sexist and racist thing, and to say that those who find it offensive are thin-skinned is insensitive at best.
    2007-04-16 6:25 PM
    in reply to: #763895

User image

Giver
    Stake - 2007-04-16 7:15 PM

..Elizabeth Hurley's attraction to Hugh Grant.

Or anyone's attraction to Hugh Grant. Seriously, what is it about that doofus that makes the women all moist?

(and yes, I am generalizing, because there are no women he doesn't give the vapors. i've asked them all

2007-04-16 6:58 PM

User image

Expert
    Portland
    What I don't understand, and hopefully someone can explain to me, is why there is so much public uproar about this Imus thing and yet Geico is allowed to continue those dreadful, callous commercials that treat the cavemen in such a derogatory manner!
    New Thread
    Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Imus and Rutger's Women's Basketball. Rss Feed  

of 5