General Discussion Race Reports! » Portage Lakes Triathlon - Akron International Sports Festival Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Portage Lakes Triathlon - Akron International Sports Festival - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Akron, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 53s
Overall Rank = 99/215
Age Group = 25 to 29
Age Group Rank = 8/14
Pre-race routine:

Day before: drove bike course and scoped out swim at beach. Hydrated and hydrated and hydrated.

Morning: Woke up Ate bowl of oatmeal, protien bar, coffee, juice and water. Drove to site a little jittery and nervous. Outside air was colder than the water. Got some good pictures with the cheering section. Feet freezing just got into the water to at least warm up... no wet suit
Event warmup:

Warm up swim.
Swim
  • 16m 11s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started in the middle of the pack of the first wave and got caught up with everyone. Got kicked in the face and then in the chest. Couldn't catch my breath so I swung out really wide. Nose bleed and wind knocked out of me made the swim miserable. Did not bi-lateral breath because of the bloody nose. Ate too much and felt like I was sinking.
What would you do differently?:

Work on open water swimming and swimming overall. Area of most needed improvement
Transition 1
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

Had my new road bike and was pumped to use it. After the long swim and I felt wiped. Couldn't move fast enough to get out on to the course. Feet and body were still wet and I had to put on shirt, socks and shoes.

Better transition area set up. Maybe even practice it. Get pedals and shoes for bike.
Bike
  • 39m 59s
  • 13.67 miles
  • 20.51 mile/hr
Comments:

Course started fine... Toe clips worked pretty well suprisingly and my nose was done bleeding. I knew what was coming and started out easy... shouldn't have. After the first big down hill I down shifted to take the uphill... found out I had no lower gears on my second ring, absolutely nothing on first. Upshifted and no middle gears on big ring. So the dilemma is pound a big gear or spin a small. So after a horrible swim, the bike was going to be bad with all the rollers. Once I found my gears I got great speed and felt like I was flying after my first tri experience on a mountain bike. Passed some people... just couldn't get all I wanted out of the ride. Very tiring fortunately I had some gels and hydration to cool myself down and keep energy up.

Get shift lines tightened before the race. Loss of most of your gears suck when you are going up and down rollers. Get pedals and shoes to improve power.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

Bike fell out of the rack... had to run back and put it up again.

Rack bike better and work on energy conservation
Run
  • 26m 35s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

Had been running low 7min miles in bricks. Too much extra work throughout the course and I was completely wiped. Legs were jello and I just kept on pushing myself harder and harder knowing that at least nothing went wrong on the run. Sprinted the finish to cheers from my wife, mother and father-in-law.

Work on stride and speed
Post race
Warm down:

Walking, streching and recovery ice... Was hydrated just completely spent.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim and bike.

Event comments:

Will do it again in September 2006

Last updated: 2006-06-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:11 | 820 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/14
Overall: 129/215
Performance:
Suit: TVR Jammers
Course: Beach Start. Rectangle Course, starting and exit in the middle, uphill grass run to T1
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 02:24
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:39:59 | 13.67 miles | 20.51 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/14
Overall: 98/215
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Started flat and zig zaging; big down hill into a right turn... All the rest was up hill and rolling.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:26:35 | 03.11 miles | 08m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/14
Overall: 106/215
Performance: Bad
Course: Looping and turning course with a uphill run in the middle.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-11 7:37 PM

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: Portage Lakes Triathlon - Akron International Sports Festival
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Portage Lakes Triathlon - Akron International Sports Festival Rss Feed