Dallas Athletes
39F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 11m 13s
Overall Rank = 36/232
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/14
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5 to get dressed and have my normal Oatmeal Raisin Clif bar. Sat on the bed waiting for Shannon to get up. That didn't work, so I sat on Shannon to get her up.

We got there the same time as Aaron (JeepFleeb). After a minor issue where his air pump completely deflated my tire, I was good to go. Tried riding with windpants, but it wasn't gonna happen. The legs kept getting tangled in my front derailleur. Not good.

Body marking was quick. They weren't even marking legs since most people would be wearing leg warmers, tights, or wind pants.

Got transition set up quickly, stripped down to tri suit, and headed inside where it was nice and toasty.

Event warmup:

Swam a 200 easy. Water was plenty warm.
Swim
  • 06m 7s
  • 328 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

Normal swim for me. Passed a breaststroker the first 100, then swam on my own till the last 50. Kept getting to close to the rope and slammed my face up against it once. Luckily nobody got a picture of that!

Got out after passing a guy the last 50. Managed to not get passed this time, so that's something I guess.
What would you do differently?:

For some reason, whenever I'm sharing lanes with someone I have issues getting to close to the rope. Not sure why. Overcautious I guess.

Otherwise, my swim is about the same speed as it was this time last year, just with less effort. Even when I try to swim harder, I go about the same speed.
Transition 1
  • 02m 43s
Comments:

BRRRRRRRRR!

This was slow! Had to put on arm warmers and a long sleeve shirt. Had some issues getting my shoes on.

Start a campfire and make smores.
Bike
  • 38m 29s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.71 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt ok to start with, was about 20 mph the first lap. I figured I would warm up and be able to hammer the second lap. Right before the hill on the backside of the course, I got passed by Ahmed. Noticed he slowed down a lot going uphill to fiddle with something on his bike. I figured it was the only chance I'd ever have to do it, so I stood up and hammered up the hill, passing him.

After that, he got back up to speed and left me behind of course. Think I made him mad or something.

Lap 2 I started to feel the burn. Not the burn of pushing really hard, this was different. My thighs were freezing since I didn't have anything besides shorts on. That coldness just sucked the life out of me the rest of the lap. Did manage to pick off a few more riders, but I didn't feel very strong.

Wear tights!

Also, had a minor nutrition issue. I put my gel in my tri top pocket. But then I put my long sleeve shirt and race belt on, so I had no way to get to it. Not that it mattered, it probably would have been frozen anyway.

One more thing - I managed to hit my Lap button with about a mile to go. So my Garmin data was incomplete. It registered the last mile as T2. Oops.
Transition 2
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

At St Pat's, I had trouble in T2 because I couldn't feel my feet. This time I was numb all the way up my thighs.

Had to sit down to get my socks and shoes on. That took a few tries. Hard to get socks on feet you can't feel.

Walked to the chip line while trying to get my Garmin set up for the run. Took quite a bit of ribbing from the gang about that - "This isn't swim bike walk!" etc.

Space heater?
Run
  • 22m 35s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

No legs and no desire to run. Shoe came untied about 1/2 mile in, but I didn't feel like messing with it. Just wanted to be done.

Had to use the "pass this guy before this spot" trick. First mile was on target, but I was cold. When I started seeing snowflakes, I had to laugh. At that point I could tell it wasn't going to be a PR day. Just focused on trying to pass people and not let myself get passed.

It worked, I passed 26 people on the run and didn't get passed by anyone. All things considered, I'd call it a pretty good run. It wasn't as fast as I was shooting for, but that's OK. Not every race can be superfast. And compared with the overall times, it was on par.

Not sure if missing the gel on the bike cost me, but it would have been nice mentally to have that.

Tights would have been good. Legs still felt burnt by the cold.
Post race
Warm down:

Hmm, since I didn't really break a sweat, warming down wasn't a problem. Did some walking around and stretching, got some clothes on and went back inside the pool for some pancakes while Shannon ran.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

THE COLD!

Event comments:

Beginning to think this even is cursed. It's been cold and windy the last 2 years. Maybe they should change the name to the "PleasantMan" or the "BalmyMan" Triathlon.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-01-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:07 | 328 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/14
Overall: 87/232
Performance: Average
Suit: Javelin Tri Top and Shorts
Course: 8 lap snake swim with 1 way lanes
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:43
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:38:29 | 12 miles | 18.71 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/14
Overall: 57/232
Low - 144 High - 179 Average - 168
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loops on city streets. 3 streets were good, 1 was rough. Lots of people were watering as well. Why water when it's in the 30s?
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:41
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:35 | 03.11 miles | 07m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/14
Overall: 20/232
Performance: Good
Mile 1 - 6:47 (169 HR) Mile 2 - 7:08 (173 HR) Mile 3 - 7:05 (178 HR) Garmin had the distance as 3.24 instead of 3.1, which accounts for the difference. There were no mile markers on the course, so I'll go with the Garmin splits. They look better anyway.
Course: 2 laps on a concrete jogging path with a finish of 300m on the high school track.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-12 5:00 PM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Subject: Iceman

2007-04-12 5:13 PM
in reply to: #759333

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Iceman

Dumbarse.

Good job, Andy!

Edited by DerekL 2007-04-12 5:13 PM
2007-04-13 7:45 PM
in reply to: #759333

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: RE: Iceman

Nice race.

I sure wish you would've made some smores, because I really would've sacraficed another minute or two of T1 to sit around the campfire.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Iceman Rss Feed