General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Training = No Food is Safe Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-13 9:22 AM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: IM Training = No Food is Safe

Is anyone else eating the entire house during IM training?  I find that I am constantly hungry as I ramp up towards IM CdA.  For the most part I am making decent food choices, but lately I feel as though I am always eating something or planning what I am going to eat next.  Coming into this, I expected to lose a few pounds during the intense periods of training, but I have actually put on 2 or 3 pounds since the beginning of the year.  Is this normal?  Anyone else experiencing the same?  Should I back away from the table more and just go hungry, or continue to listen to my body? 

2007-04-13 9:45 AM
in reply to: #759874

User image

over a barrier
Subject: RE: IM Training = No Food is Safe
I've dropped 10 lbs since IM training in about 2 months...Weightloss was a goal of mine.

This is how I've done it......I had my Resting Metabolic Rate measured at the gym (1990 calories a day). On days with less than 2hrs of training (mainly during the week). I try and hit that goal 1990 so the workouts put me in calorie deficiit.

Days with long runs/bricks/cycling I don't watch what I eat before-during-after the workouts. On the big days that when my training really breaks down the body I want the food to build it back up.

During 2hr training days in theory that is about a 1000 calorie deficit which would be a lot of weightloss over the course of a month, but don't forget we all cheat!!!! So with random acts of cheating (damn easter candy) its been about 1lb a week which seems to be a good long term solution.

When and what I eat. I eat larger breakfest and lunchs and a very small small dinner...sometimes I'm still hungry when I go to bed (just not starving). I just feel like I could eat more...I think his more a result of years of eating to much and putting weight on in the first place.

Hope that helps...
2007-04-13 9:45 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

I was VERY hungry when I trained for IM FL.  My grocery bills were outrageous!  However, I ended up dropping alot of weight (which was much needed) while IM training- like 7 lbs.  I was eating a lot, but also losing weight.  It was great!  It could have been because I had built up so much muscle that the muscle helped burn more fat. 

You might be gaining muscle weight.  I'd go by how your clothes fit and how you look.  If you're looking more ripped and clothes still fit the same or are looser, then I wouldn't worry about it.  If you think you're gaining fat, then you might need to look at your nutrition.  Remember that you want to select the best foods that are going to fuel your body.  If you're not eating so healthy, then try eating healthier foods and that might help.  Also, try to eat more protein- especially after long workouts.  I found that protein was much more filling than carbs and kept me fuller longer which really helped.  I think it comes down to understanding what and when your body needs. 

Edited by runnergirl 2007-04-13 9:46 AM
2007-04-13 10:41 AM

User image

Expert
Missouri
I too am Trainig for IMCDA. Here is my story.

Started to "seriously" watch what I eat starting Feb 5. Feb 5 I weighed 220 lbs. . Couple of weeks ago. . April 1 I weighed 205. As of today I am around 206-207. . some of that could be water wait, etc. . but I seem to be holding around the 206 mark. So yes I have lost weight, but not as much as I would like. Ideally I would like to be around 185-190 for IMCDA, but that is a lot to loose in less than 11 weeks. In reality if I am 195, then that will help a lot.

I too cheat from time to time (Dr Pepper seems to be my biggest weakness), but try to limit calories on days that I don't have a huge amount of training planned. I have noticed more muscle, especially in my legs and feel fitter/slimmer all around, so I know good things are happening.

I guess everyone's bodies just respond differently. So to sum it up, I guess I am experiencing some of the same.
2007-04-13 10:47 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN

I am with you Doug.  I weigh around 165 most of the time so weight loss isn't a goal of mine.  One of my foci of IM training was cleaning up my diet.  Well I weighed in at 158 the other day.  I have decided to put myself back on the eat everything I can diet.  The weight loss is bother me and making me a bit ill.  My problem is that I don't like eating that much.  So I am throwing in extra snacks for the day and not holding back on nights when I want to get something a bit more high calorie. 

2007-04-13 10:56 AM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA

This is good - thanks all.  Keep it coming as I would love to hear what others have or are experiencing. 

Just for additional information on myself, weight loss is not huge goal of mine during IM training.  If I can drop the final 5 pounds I want to lose then great, but that is not my ultimate goal right now.  I DO however know how to lose weight as I started this running (and now tri) training stuff in 2004 at close to 250 pounds.  I now weigh 183ish.  I was a solid 180 in January.  The extra couple of pounds might just be some new upper body muscle from swimming as my clothes pretty much feel the same.  I didn't expect to gain any weight through this process, and I guess I shouldn't expect to lose any weight either as I am putting zero emphasis on cutting.

2007-04-13 10:57 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
I also found that drinking all that perpeteum, gels, sports drinks, and eating carbs for my workouts made me bloated all the time.   I'm sure I was probably retaining A LOT of water.  Some of that weight can be attribued to water retention.  2 or 3 lbs. really isn't that much.  If you were talking 20 or 30lbs, then I would probably lay off the food some.  But I think you're ok.
2007-04-13 11:09 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Um, yeah

I am currently reading "Complete Guide to Sports Nutrition" and confirmed a concern I have had for a while. "That I am not taking in enough calories on a daily basis"

The book does say that most Endurance Athletes (Marathoners, Triathletes) do not take in enough cals mostly because it is just not possible. Much of the high GI foods are bulky and you get full long before you get enough cals. Dex and other highly concentrated sources of carbs only partially offset this.

I suspect our bodies get used to being calorie deficient and adapt.

But to answer your question, nothing food related is safe in my house when I get the hungries
2007-04-13 11:10 AM

User image

Expert
Littleton, Colorado
I am right there with you.  I am constantly hungery.  The other day, I had a naked burrito for lunch, finished it, and was STILL starving!  I'm trying to keep good foods handy at all times, but hubby brought home a few of those cadbury creme eggs last weekend.... Mmmmmmmm!
2007-04-13 11:51 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
I have a similar story after losing 150lbs and maintaining it for 2+ years I started IM training at 211. I really really wanted to lose more weight because I know every pound I carry on the hills and the run is slowing me down. I started using the nutrition logs here and focusing on whole, healthy foods but I wasn't fueling well enough during workouts. Met with a sports nutritionist and she said "Do you want to finish the IM or lose weight, because only 1 can be your primary goal"

IM is the goal so we mapped out 1800 calories a day as my no exercise base and then anything less than hour I eat an additional 100-200 calories depending on time/intensity, over an hour it's 300-350 calories per hour.

Since I started doing that I've lost 16lbs in like 14 weeks. I rarely find myself hungry but I'm filling up on a lot more protein and dairy + the requisite fruits and veggies.

Feel free to check out my nutrition logs, everything I eat is there. I'm really pleased with where I am right now but if I keep losing that'd be great too.
2007-04-13 12:35 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Eating down the house and still have to be careful not to get into a caloric deficit. 

One thing that helps me is to eat immediately after a workout.  This not only takes advantage of your 'metabolic window of opportunity', but will also curb your appetite for the ravenous food gobbling urges that tend to strike 2-4 hours later.

Currently I use Endurox and a yogurt post-workout (simple + comples sugars plus protein being the goal) and it works just fine.

Then I use a big Ted Montana's Bison burger with blue cheese melted on top

2007-04-13 1:23 PM

User image

Expert
Welcome to Super Mario World
If you find yourself getting into calorie deficit just have a couple bottles of wine or a 12 pack thats what i do
2007-04-13 2:16 PM

User image

Regular
Lake Zurich, il
Yea I too eat a lot when in training. I try to eat well though. I eat a lot of chicken pasta and stuff like that. I own a hot dog stand so if I wanted to I could eat like crap when ever I wanted to and sometimes I do My weight is 165 so I don't care much about weight loss. In the off season I eat only twice a day with no snacks. While training I eat three times a day and snack as well. And yes I go to bed hungy a lot of times.
2007-04-13 2:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary, Alberta
captantony - 2007-04-13 8:22 AM

Coming into this, I expected to lose a few pounds during the intense periods of training, but I have actually put on 2 or 3 pounds since the beginning of the year.  Is this normal?  Anyone else experiencing the same?   

Same thing is happening to me right now. It happened last year around the same point in my training. I gained a few pounds, my clothes fit a bit tighter, and I didn't appear to be ripped, so I assumed it was not muscle. I continued making good food choices, and then all of sudden, I really leaned out. Not sure if it has to do with my body adjusting to the increase in volume, or what, but I'm just riding it out, being smart about my nutrition, and hoping for the big lean out phase again this year (hopefully in time for my wedding!)

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Training = No Food is Safe Rss Feed