General Discussion Classifieds - New and Used Triathlon Gear » WTB - 54 cm women's beginning road bike for triathalons Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED
2007-04-13 2:07 PM

Subject: WTB - 54 cm women's beginning road bike for triathalons
I'm new to this and don't want to spend alot of money until I know I like it. Anyone have anything for me out there? Thanks! ~Jill

2007-04-19 9:13 AM
in reply to: #760444

Subject: RE: WTB - 54 cm women's beginning road bike for triathalons
I baught my wife an entry level road bike, and put aero bars on it.
Spent $450 with the aero bars.....
It's defiantely an entry level and if she likes the sport will need a new bike in a yr or 2.
Had it since Dec and works great for a new Tri'er.

And for myself I got a used one on ebay and spent about $350.
But for the wife - new meant safety.....and less maint. issues.

What I got for her - http://www.windsorbicycles.com/willow.html
if you don't have a cycle spectrum in your city - you can get them online
online at - http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/willow2.htm( I have no expereince with them however)maybe you can find one on ebay too...
I paid a little less at my LBS ($399 at cycle spectrum)
The equipment on that bike is what I would call - very basic. And other bike shops will be-rate the components....and lack of carbon fork...but unless you are doing iron mans...that won't really matter to you...and you can always upgrade things like that later....or buy a whole new Tri-specific bike later.

BIke fit is very important......more important than the bike itself.
If you buy online I would recommend paying a local bike shop for a fitting before you buy online. But if you are into reading you can figure out your general size online.

good luck.

2007-04-19 9:41 AM

User image

Expert
Avon, CT
Sounds like you are tall enough that you could find a men's bike to fit you...I wouldn't limit yourself to just a woman's bike...might be a prettier color though
2007-04-19 11:24 AM

Pro
Andover
Don't get hung up on men's bikes -vs- women's bikes. As long as the frame fits you, you can pretty much take any frame, change the bars/stem/seat-post positioning, and it will fit you fine.
Sell Gear
CLOSED
General Discussion Classifieds - New and Used Triathlon Gear » WTB - 54 cm women's beginning road bike for triathalons Rss Feed