General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gym Pool is BRUTAL....need advice for skin care Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-14 7:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Hooksett, New Hampshire
Subject: Gym Pool is BRUTAL....need advice for skin care

I had my first swim of the year the other day and my skin is still dry and itchy even with moisturizing.

I was thinking of smearing on Vaseline before my swim to shield my skin from the chlorine to begin with, but was wondering if there were better products out there that you all have used and find effective.

Damn my sensitive skin and the vats of chlorine they drop in the pool....my face is broken out! 

2007-04-14 7:20 AM
in reply to: #760997

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hoboken, NJ
Subject: RE: Gym Pool is BRUTAL....need advice for skin care
Yeah, I think the pool is taking it's toll on me as well - suddenly getting break outs, etc.  No real solutions, but I wanted to point out that theres a significant difference in moisturizers (even within the same brand) so look around to find one that works best for you...
2007-04-14 11:24 AM

User image

Master
"Home of Superman"
I have the same problem.....I resulted to sunscreen in the real dry areas. It may seem wasteful at the time but afterwards it sure helps.
2007-04-14 11:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albuquerque, NM

I saw a thread on this some time ago, but can't find it now.  What I do remember is that many people suggested using baby oil after your post-swim shower.

I bought Johson's Baby Oil Gel with aloe vera and vitamin E, and it seems to work really well.  Give it a try!

2007-04-14 11:28 AM

User image

over a barrier
Shannon3 - 2007-04-14 7:03 AM

I had my first swim of the year the other day and my skin is still dry and itchy even with moisturizing.

I was thinking of smearing on Vaseline before my swim to shield my skin from the chlorine to begin with, but was wondering if there were better products out there that you all have used and find effective.

Damn my sensitive skin and the vats of chlorine they drop in the pool....my face is broken out! 

Please don't smear anything on your body before going in the pool.

1. Take a long shower before swimming.
2. Take a long shower after swimming.
3. Apply lotion after your shower.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/Swim_Lotions_s/440.htm

2007-04-14 11:30 AM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Not to hijack, but thank goodness for the chlorine. I got pulled out of my Y pool this morning after only getting through my warmup because some kid had hurled in the open swim lanes. EWWWWW! I am grateful for whatever they dump in the water to clean that out.

And back on topic...I've used vaseline on my daughters' skin for swim lessons where they've had real dry patches. It seemed to protect pretty well.

Kristen

2007-04-14 12:39 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
I am fortunate to swim in a salt water pool which seems less drying than chlorine.  Even still, I use a lot of moisturizers. The best lotion for me is something that contains Shea Butter (I use L'ocittane), but Cetaphil Cream in the green and white tub also works well.
2014-05-03 8:16 PM
in reply to: Shannon3

Regular
Conejo Valley
I have mild psoriasis, so the training, and especially the pool, can really irritate my skin. My derm recommended Cera Ve cream a couple of years ago and I've found it to be fantastic. I put it on after every shower and it makes a huge difference.
2014-05-03 9:29 PM

User image

Don't smear things on your skin before getting in.
1) I don't want other peoples personal care products getting on me when I swim (old lady perfume is the absolute worst.)
2) Its bad for the pool filter
2014-05-04 9:03 AM
in reply to: running2far

User image

New user
Manassas, Virginia
Originally posted by running2far
Shannon3 - 2007-04-14 7:03 AM

Please don't smear anything on your body before going in the pool.

1. Take a long shower before swimming.
2. Take a long shower after swimming.
3. Apply lotion after your shower.

http://www.swimoutlet.com/Swim_Lotions_s/440.htm
Originally posted by bigevilgrape

Don't smear things on your skin before getting in.
1) I don't want other peoples personal care products getting on me when I swim (old lady perfume is the absolute worst.)
2) Its bad for the pool filter

Yes and yes please!

It's possible that your gym pool doesn't have the best operator in the world. They might be overdosing with chlorine or allowing the saturation index to slip.
2014-05-04 10:38 AM
in reply to: Dunn Right

User image

Regular
I found that sitting in the steam sauna for 10 minutes after a swim rids a lot of the chlorine from my skin.

+1 on not dousing yourself with products before swimming.

2014-05-04 10:51 AM
in reply to: Dunn Right

User image

Originally posted by Dunn Right

It's possible that your gym pool doesn't have the best operator in the world. They might be overdosing with chlorine or allowing the saturation index to slip.

I had the same thought. Im also wondering what the ph is like.
2014-05-04 1:43 PM
in reply to: bigevilgrape

I use triswim body wash in a long shower and lotion afterwards. I find this helps rid me of the chlorine smell and makes my skin less dry.
2014-05-05 8:54 AM
in reply to: DannyII

Regular
Apple Valley, Minnesota
Originally posted by DannyII

I found that sitting in the steam sauna for 10 minutes after a swim rids a lot of the chlorine from my skin.

+1 on not dousing yourself with products before swimming.

If you have a steam room or sauna, 15-30 mins does wonders, cleaning your skin, you don't get the pool stink. I have horribly sensitive skin, and found Cataphyll lotion works for my face, and Curel has been great for the rest of my body. sweating is the best thing to keeping the skin clean, I never had acne when I was swimming 2x a day, my skin was like a gator though.
2014-05-05 12:07 PM

User image

South Texas
My skin used to dry up and flake off. Began using Ultraswim body wash and shampoo after each swim and I have no more issues. (I also use it to wash my suit).

JWR
2014-05-05 1:06 PM
in reply to: jwrichey

User image

Pro
Burbs

OP: what are you using for body wash/ lotion?

2014-05-06 2:53 PM

User image

Try different moisturizers; higher quality is better. The mainstream stuff at Wal-Mart, etc. is crap and loaded with more chemicals than is in the pool to begin with...... Desert Essence or Aubrey Organics is great. And vegan.
Go heavy, post all showers, swim, and before bed at night.
Shower good before swim, wet skin will absorb less chlorine.
Rotate to a different pool to train, chlorine type and levels really vary. Plus this is good for training.
If you have time def use a sauna/steam room and a long shower. Use time to stretch.
TriSwim is OK, SeaSource is better.
For women/long hair: wet hair, put in a little bit of conditioner, put on swim cap. Swim.
Coconut oil is the best facial moisturizer on the planet.

#chlorinesucks
2014-05-06 7:34 PM

User image

Master
I swim outdoors during the day, so I have to slather on the sunscreen. That helps quite a bit, then I also put coconut oil in my hair and on my skin after a shower. Even on my face. Just a drop.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gym Pool is BRUTAL....need advice for skin care Rss Feed