Active.com
58F / 14C
Overcast
Total Time = 29m 43s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Older than Most
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

My son and I dropped my daughter off at a friends house and went to the race site. We picked up our race packets and met up with some school friends of my son. My son's school, Cary Elementary School, has a running club, which my son does not participate because he has religion on the same day. However, he wanted to run the race with a friend of his, so I was working on pacing the two of them.
Event warmup:

I think that keeping a couple of kids under wraps was enough for me. I was planning on just pacing the kids at their pace, etc. Definitely not a key race for my performance.
Run
  • 29m 43s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

My main goal was to keep the kids from going out too fast, and to get them over the hill without blowing their wads. I expected my son to do about a 35 or so, so I think I took them out too slow.

We hit the mile at 12:15, which was just before the turnaround. The first water station was right after the turn. I made the kids walk through the water station, then I was stuck in a mess. My son wanted to go faster, the girl, cassie wanted to go slower. I told Nick to go on ahead, and I would see what happened.
After my son had gotten about 200-250 yards ahead, Cassie said she needed to walk. I asked her if she cared that if I went to catch up with Nick, and she said no problem.
I took off and closed the gap to around 50-30 yards behind my son, and I couldn't catch the little speedster. So I stayed about 10 seconds behind him, because I wasn't going to ruin his performance.

He finished in around 29:34, although we will see the official time later. It isn't important, because he did awesome. I think He has a 27 in him right now.

By the way, his friend Cassie ended up finishing in less tha 35 minutes, which is pretty awesome as well. I am proud of her as well.
What would you do differently?:

This was all about my son, Nick.
Did I say how proud of him I am?
Post race
Warm down:

Looked around for my son, talked to some parents and teachers, got some water and bread.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pacing the kids.

Event comments:

I think the event went well, and it was great to see all the elementary school kids running a 5K at ages 7-10.

Last updated: 2007-04-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:43 | 03.11 miles | 09m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
First mile 12:15 Mile two finished at about 19:45 (7:30) Final time 29:43 (9:59 for 1.1 miles)
Course: Nice loop with one big climb about a half mile in.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-14 11:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC
Subject: Cary Road Race

An awesome experience.  Just adds to my joy of relocating to North Carolina.

I better enjoy my son running with me now, because it won't be too long and I will be eating his dust for life.

Edited by kapinto 2007-04-14 11:59 AM

2007-04-15 8:11 PM
in reply to: #761102

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: RE: Cary Road Race
That's awesome Keith!  That is so great that you were able to run this race with your son.  Is he hooked?????
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cary Road Race Rss Feed