United States
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 52s
Overall Rank = 48/106
Age Group = 25 to 29
Age Group Rank = 4/6
Pre-race routine:

Went down to Wildwood the night before to stay at a friends house. Woke up at 5:30 ate a peanut butter sandwich with a banana and got ready and went down to register. After registering I saw my friend Lauren in the parking lot. I spent most of the pre race around her taking in whatever advice she could give me. One of the shitty things is that someone stole my cycling gloves and my gel packs out of my transition bag.
Event warmup:

I didnt do a whole lot of a warm up. Just a couple stretches and a brief jog.
Run
  • 15m 42s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

I think I started out too quick but I also thought my second run was way slow and it really wasn't too much slower. The run overall was pretty good and I enjoyed it.
What would you do differently?:

Get those bungee laces for easier transition to the bike.
Transition 1
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

My transition went a lot smoother than I was expecting especially making the short jog from the racks to the mats. Just a little pissed someone stole my cycling gloves yet again.

Work on getting running shoes off faster and everything else on a bit quicker.
Bike
  • 34m 11s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 18.43 mile/hr
Comments:

I feel like my bike could have been a lot better. My arm rest on my aero bars slipped down as soon as I mounted so I had to ride on the handle bars the entire ride. Also I forgot to keep hydrating myself and only took two sips the entire time. I also feel like my pace could have been at least at 20mph. I don't know why I didnt push myself a little harder.

Beat the sh*t out of the guy who stole my gloves, make sure my bike is properly fixed before a race, drink some more fluid, and go harder than I did.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

The lady made us dismount about 50 feet from where the scan mats were so I had to run a little farther in my cycling shoes than I anticipated. I fumbled a bit back at the racks getting my helmet unclipped and then unlacing my shoes and putting them on and tying them up.

Bungee laces and I guess practice putting my helmet on and taking it off a few more times.
Run
  • 16m 42s
  • 2 miles
  • 08m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

I think I was a little burned out on this run but after I finished it and saw the results I was really surprised it wasn't slower because it felt slow.

I just feel like I have a lack of endurance and that it is something that will keep getting better as time goes on. Overall I felt like I did a really decent job for my first time and had a way better time than I had set my goal for.
Post race
Warm down:

Chilled out and watched some others cross the line and cheer them on and then walked my bike about 6 blocks to put back in the jeep.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

ENDURANCE

Event comments:

It was a great race for me to do as my first race and get a taste of everything and see how things work. After talking to Lauren she made me more comfortable and helped me out before and afterwards. I definitely think I am going to find a sprint tri to participate in before Philly at the end of June. Until them its just training, training, training. I need to build my endurance up so I don't burn out.

Last updated: 2007-01-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:15:42 | 02 miles | 07m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 44/106
Performance: Average
I forgot to do my splits so I do not have a recorded average or high heart rate for each. Whenever I looked at my watch my HR was around 188BPM
Course: The run course wasn't bad. It started at the convention center and was along the board walk the entire time. We went North for a half mile and then turned a cone. Went Sout for one mile around another cone and then another mile back to the convention center and into the transition area.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
T1
Time: 01:16
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:34:11 | 10.5 miles | 18.43 mile/hr
Overall: 44/106
Performance: Average
Didnt even notice my HR on this leg. Was just occupied with cycling
Wind: Some
Course: The course was a bit weird. Out of the transition you made a short ride South and then did a four block circle to the origination road and then went North for a couple miles and then looped around and came back and did it all again two more times.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 93
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:02
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:16:42 | 02 miles | 08m 21s  min/mile
Overall: 55/106
Performance: Below average
HR was around 189 the entire run
Course: Same as first run
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-04-14 7:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Media, PA
Subject: 2nd Annual Doo Wop Duathlon

2007-04-14 7:16 PM
in reply to: #761328

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: 2nd Annual Doo Wop Duathlon

Great job, AJ! You did so well, especially for your first race. Hopefully all the bike issues will be resolved for your next one (that's such a bummer the elbow pad fell off! ).

And, you'll always feel slower on the second run. Until you've done a lot of bricks and/or races, it's going to be tough to gauge your speed on the run after the bike just by perceived exertion.

Keep up the good work! All you training has really paid off...you're going to have a great first season .

2007-04-14 10:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO

Great first race!  Sounds like everything went even better than expected.  And nothing beats having someone there to help out, so you're really lucky to have Lauren around. 

You just forgot to mention that you had fun!  Racing is fun man, c'mon!  You went fast, great bike and run splits, almost got 3rd in AG, didn't crash or bonk or doing anything crazy, course sounds good.  In short, sounds like a really fun race.  Hope you enjoyed it.

2007-04-15 8:27 AM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
AJ - well done buddy and you can feel justifiably proud..You had an awesome bike time...

Run will continue to get better for you as you build musculature endurance....Agree with what you are saying prior to doing your A race do a sprint practice makes perfect. I am looking at doing another duathlon as more chance to practice transitions.

Good job all in all and I think you are going to have a good season this year...Keep up the good work and enjoy...

2007-04-16 9:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Great race, AJ! Sounds like you had fun, learned a lot, and beat your time goal! That's pretty darn good for your first multisport race! Congrats
2007-04-16 9:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Southeastern PA
Congrats on you first multisport race. Those are some great splits especially for a first race. Good luck in Philly!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2nd Annual Doo Wop Duathlon Rss Feed