General Discussion Triathlon Talk » fins for swim drills Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-13 1:31 PM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Subject: fins for swim drills
In the TI book, it kind of casually mentioned using fins while doing drills. Especially lesson 1 where you don't use your arms. What are your thoughts on this? I noticed during the swim on back that I barely moved. It doesn't seem to be a good drill for balance this way since not going same speed as would be while freee styling.

2004-01-13 8:01 PM
in reply to: #3765

Veteran
Northern IL
Subject: RE: fins for swim drills
I use fins only for swim drills. I had used fins for awhile throughout my entire workout to strenghten my legs and when I stopped using them my arms were so badly out of shape that I have struggled a little bit. I use them for the kicking part of my workout also. If I don't I go nowhere. Eventually try to wean yourself off of the fins and you get better with the drills and you should be fine.

Mike
2004-01-13 8:53 PM

Just got a pair of Zoomers. My swim coach want me to use them because they help to propel me so I can work of my arm stroke. Haven't tried them. I will on Thursday. I did use a different fin on my first swim workout. It helped me get across the pool with less kick so I was able to work on my stroke some. Just my two cents.
2004-01-14 5:32 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Thanks! Later in the book it says to use them sparingly (10%), so not sure worth getting them yet.
2004-01-14 5:44 AM
in reply to: #3814

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
I also found that I was moving no where but just concentrated on the floating/balance part of the drill and moved myself down the lane as best i could. I figure this drill or first couple of drills won't make up the majority of my workouts once I get it down. So I am kind of leaning towards not buying any fins. The rest of the workouts involve 'swimming' drills where we probably won't need them.
2004-01-14 5:56 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
I'm leaning that way too Jim. My legs are already pretty strong from weight training over the years. The floating on back drill I barely move part of time waiting to find the right balance.

Another question. Do you'll use ear drops for afterwards? I've noticed my ears feeling full of water for a couple hours and that can't be good. Any brand recommendations?

2004-01-14 6:04 AM
in reply to: #3817

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Funny you mention that. I have noticed the water behind/in the ear lately. I had this feeling back in Nov when I started swimming and it went away the same time as my sore throat came on. I figured ear/nose/throat probably water was the beginning of a cold which I did get. Probably not but I have that feeling once again and it drives me nuts. I do not use nor know anything to use. If there are swimmers out there with a recommendation I am all ears
2004-01-14 9:56 AM

Expert
NC Illinois
1. I tilt me head afterwards (while drying off) and let the water run out.

[Edit: I was going to change the grammar in this line ... but, it's fun sounding like a leprechan ... "I tilt me head ..."]

2. I never used fins. I did drills that advised using fins, but instead of using fins I just got better at kicking.

I'm no professional coach in anything, but to me, many aids delay or retard progress i other important areas.

Meaning, you can't use fins in the race, so you might as well get used to not swimming with them now.

In weight-lifting, I see folks (not talking about advanced lifters here) that use a manta-ray (holds the bar on shoulders), weight belt, knee wraps, etc ... instead of building some traps for the bar to rest on, strengthening the low-back and obliques to stabilize the roso, and strengthening the joints.

The things that make it "easier", really make it less effective, IMO.

When I look at a drill or drill equipment, I try and see what the carryover effect is. If a drill or equipment only gets me better at that drill, and doesn't really help me become a better swimmer, then the drill is not worth doing. same deal with equipment.

Unless swimming with fins makes you a better "swimmer without fins", then they are a hampering device.

I leave the commonets up to those with more experience as towhether swimmin with fins makes you a better fin-free swimmer. I've only done "fin-free swimming". I just relate it to training aids in other sports (which they are many that only seem to get you better at "drills", and not necessarily better at your sport).

Edited by TripleThreat 2004-01-14 9:57 AM
2004-01-14 10:05 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Thanks Triple Threat, kinda what Jim and I was leaning towards anyways. I was mostly thinking about in lesson 1, drill 2, I was barely moving. I don't seem to have a problem with that drill and do it less already. I still gotta get my aerobic fitness for swimming better. I have done like you said and added a 200m swim in middle of drills alternating with other strokes when tired each 25m. Went first 50m free before alternating this time. I started to get out of breath near end of 50m. When I can do 200m freestyle, then I will keep adding 100m a week in between drills.

What I did today that seemed to help is do the drill for 25m, then freestyle 25m focusing on area drill was for. If feel good, go to next drill, otherwise, repeat this until feels better. I do 200m this way with drills, 200m straight swim, then 100m drill which kind of cools me down anyways and brings HR down.

I found what catch up is. During swim between drills, I do a full catchup while mostly focusing on drill feeling. I can see a difference with the drag from being long.
2004-01-14 11:11 PM

Veteran
Northern IL
I use to have someone pour isopropyl alcohol into my ear to get rid of the water. That is how we always cured swimmers ear on the swim team. Always worked like a charm.

Mike
2004-01-15 5:47 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Thanks Mike. I bought some Swimmers Ear which is basically just alcohol.

2004-01-16 12:43 PM

SoCal
On the ear topic.... I for some unknown reason have a predisposition to swimmer's ear - even from simply taking a shower. My E/N/T recommend that I use ear plugs when I swim. I use the Mack's Silicone ear plugs and they work great. I'd guess you wouldn't want to use them in a race because they do prevent you from hearing well but they are great for workouts. Hope this helps.
2004-01-16 1:24 PM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
I actually saw the plugs and thought about it, but decided to see if the drops are enough first. Thanks for the tip.
2004-01-17 1:50 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego, CA
Cameron,

I've always liked and recommended Zoomers to my swimmers to help with the kick. However, I have recently come across another kind of fins I like better called Hydrofinz. They are a similar concept as Zoomers with the short fin, improving ankle flexibility, etc., but they also really give your legs a better workout than Zoomers do. I believe Hydrofinz are the updated version of Zoomers. Look at www.hydrofinz.com or do a search on Google.

Good luck!

Kevin
www.triswimcoach.com
2004-01-19 5:33 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Thanks Kevin. Fo rnow, I am not planning on buying any, but will consider these if Iend up getting some.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » fins for swim drills Rss Feed