Outspokin
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 43m 52s
Overall Rank = 722/1000
Age Group = 30 - 34
Age Group Rank = 76/78
Pre-race routine:

Ate two bananas, a granola bar, and a bottle of Gatorade.
Event warmup:

none
Swim
  • 20m 34s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 20s / 100 yards
Comments:

Decent swim, mostly back stroke and conserved strength as best as I could. Just wanted to survive the swim.
What would you do differently?:

Ummmm learn how to swim.
Transition 1
  • 08m 6s
Comments:

T1 kinda sucked. The transition area was across the beach, around a salt water pond, and through the pick nick area from the end of the swim. Jogged the whole way but ate a couple of minutes into my T1 time.

Get some zip laces and not lolly gag around so much. I took my sweet time drying off a bit and putting on my shoes and socks. Also washing the salt water out of my mouth. I wasn't in a big hurry.
Bike
  • 35m 2s
  • 10 miles
  • 17.13 mile/hr
Comments:

I smoked the ride. I just mashed the whole distance. I would drop into a tougher gear and ride a bit then drop another gear. I did this the entire distance till by the end I was all the way over and couldn't go any further unless I slid the front into the big gear.

Not too much. I really pushed myself on the bike and my speed showed. In training rides I have never hit 17 mph before, usually I average 14 - 15 mph, so I am very happy with my ride. I could have taken the loops a bit faster but not beating myself up over that.
Transition 2
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

Threw off my stuff. It helped I already had my t-shirt with my race number already on and my running shoes since I don't have clipless pedals.

Get a race belt. Messing with the race number pinned to my shirt is a real drag. They are worth the money.
Run
  • 37m 58s
  • 4 miles
  • 09m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Not a bad time considering I stopped to stretch real quick and also had a bathroom break I took in the middle of the run.

I am a little pissed about the run. The first two miles were rough. Had to walk a bit, really need to do more bricks before my next tri. Also I stopped alot and walked and really didn't have to, I could have sucked it up and pushed through. If I knew I was getting almost 9 min/m then I would have pushed through and shaved some time off my run.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around a bit, drank some water, and ate two plates of macaroni grill. YUM!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim ate a lot of time. Also wasted over 10 mins in transition. Need to work on that. Need some bricks as well.

Event comments:

I loved the race. The organizers had their stuff together. My only goal was to finish. I had the secret goal that if I got 1:45 then I did very well, which I broke that by over a minute so I am very happy with my time. Although sadly looking back after the fact it was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. I wasn't even tired after the race. BUT, I had a blast and I now know why everyone says triathlons are additive. I cannot wait until my next race!

Last updated: 2007-03-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:20:34 | 880 yards | 02m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 74/78
Overall: 0/1000
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca Tri Shorts
Course: Down the beach and followed the coast
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 08:06
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:35:02 | 10 miles | 17.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 73/78
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: From one end of the island to the other end with two loop arounds at the tips of the coast.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:37:58 | 04 miles | 09m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 73/78
Performance: Below average
Course: Down to the fort, through the fort, up some stairs, then down the back over more stairs then raced on the beach back to the finish line.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-04-15 6:28 PM

User image

Valdosta, Ga
Subject: Escape From Fort Desoto

2007-04-15 7:41 PM
in reply to: #762082

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: Escape From Fort Desoto

Congratulations on completing your first race! And the Macaroni Grill as the post-race food sounds good to me!

You did great and posted and awesome bike and run times. Just think, with a few equipment upgrades, like clipless pedals and yankz laces, you'll be smokin' in the future.

I'm glad you had a great time at your first race, and had no regrets. Keep up the good work. Your swimming will improve as long as you keep getting in the water 3-4 times a week at least.

Take care and enjoy the rest of your season. CONGRATS, triathlete!!

2007-04-16 8:59 AM

User image

St. Petersburg, Fl
Great job out there. I think you and I both learned a lot from our first tri. I'm reallly looking forward to Madeira Beach next month. See how much more I can push myself. You gonna be there?
2007-04-16 10:47 AM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Dude, you did not quit. It's been so awesome to watch you go from all-out tri training to nothing to you being an actual triathlete now. AWESOME JOB! You are definitely tough enough to hang.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Escape From Fort Desoto Rss Feed