General Discussion Race Reports! » TriAmerica Series: Clermont - Short Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

TriAmerica Series: Clermont - Short Course - TriathlonOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Clermont, Florida
United States
TriAmerica
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 25m 34s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

get up at 4am! get ready for Don to pick me up. Drive to race and register, etc.
Event warmup:

Wetsuit on and got in the water for a very short swim. Water was pretty chilly! Also a lot of mental talk to go out slow and relaxed. Last race I couldn't breathe right most of the swim.
Swim
  • 23m 42s
  • 1094 yards
  • 02m 10s / 100 yards
Comments:

It was very windy and of course we had to swim against the waves. Turned out to get 6th in age group on swim! Got about 3 or 4 good gulps of water :-) Very happy with swim. Slower than wanted, but with the conditions, very happy. Swam the whole course other than 2 or 3 strokes of breast to find the middle yellow buouy. I was very conscious of starting out slow and relaxed. I lost time here, but after a few hundred yards I felt good and picked up the pace.
What would you do differently?:

nothing
Transition 1
  • 05m 11s
Comments:

This included about a 250y run to transition from the beach. Couldn't go more than a light jog without getting out of breath. Long ways to go, so took it easy.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 31s
  • 19 miles
  • 17.14 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, found out what rolling hills means :-) And the 23+ mph winds with gusts made them even better :-) Straight up a hill out of T1. See a poor guy changing a flat and hasn't gone 1/4 mile. Then I fell like my bike is barely moving on the flat part of hill. Stop and look, everything ok, no brakes rubbing, no flat tire. Get back on and it now feels fine! Who knows! Go around a corner and up another hill. Two hills in the first 4 mins of the ride! Ok, recover on the downhills and keep going! Don't go too hard knowing head wind coming back. Well, a couple of the hills going out had me out of the saddle going about 6 mph. The hills were more gradual going back though. We also had a bout 3 short rains come through. We found out later that during our bike there was a tornado watch and some funnels actually starting to form up in the sky! A couple of scary downhills. Hitting 35mph on wet road and then the cross wind starts gusting had me grabbing the bars and even sitting up to slow down some! Obviosuly my time was much slower than planned, but I am very happy with it considering the hills, rain and wind!

Find out ahead of time what "rolling hills" really means and do some hill workouts. I haven't done any this year other than a few times over the causeway on long rides.
Transition 2
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

I wanted to change into dry socks (more on this in the run section :-) ). Other than that, just moved along.
Run
  • 47m 59s
  • 4.7 miles
  • 10m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Start out and legs are sore from the hills. LEgs don't start feeling better for about a mile. So, remember I put on dry socks in T2? Well I step in the one little pot hole and my right foot is now soaked :-) Of course around mile 1 it starts pouring and doesn't stop until mile 4 :-) Didn't matter at all! First mile really feel like I am slogging and it is 10:23. Ok, not bad. Then it starts pouring down rain. Mile 2 is still around 10:30. Get to turn around and start looking for John. I want to see how hard I have to run the rest of the way :-) I have about 3-4 mins on him. Even at current pace he would have to go much faster! Turns out all four miles were between 10:23 and 10:31. Even the mile raining so hard I had to tile my head down and turn the hat to keep the rain drops from pelting my face :-) I did see one BT'er on run course. Mile 2 my left inner quad muscle starts to cramp. Keep going. Then the right one starts. Keep going! Then mile 3.5 they both stop! Sun comes back out and the last .7 miles I picked it up and broghit it home. Under 10' pace for that stretch just to make sure John doesn't run me down at the end :-) Kind of hard as no one in front of me to catch no one else behind to hold off.

Nothing really. Very happy with run under the conditions and cramping from the hills on the bike. Maybe more hill training on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Very nice spread. I had a grilled burger and dog :-) On the ride home, my forearms were very sore and cramping. Realized because of all the wind, I was really clamping hard on the aero bars for most of the ride! New way to work those muscles :-)

Wife was teasing me about picking races and weather. Race last month was 47 degrees in FL when warm day before and day after. Then this weather!

Event comments:

This was a great race other than the weather conditions. And now that it is over I am glad to have gone through it. Very well run. Even gatorade on the bike! Great race and would definitely do it again next year.

Last updated: 2007-03-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:42 | 1094 yards | 02m 10s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless wetsuit
Course: Basically a rectangle course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:11
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:06:31 | 19 miles | 17.14 mile/hr
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Around the lake and a left hand loop at and of lake part of course.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:07
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:47:59 | 04.7 miles | 10m 13s  min/mile
Course: out and back along extra wide sidewalk.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-04-16 8:53 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Subject: TriAmerica Series: Clermont - Short Course

2007-04-16 9:25 AM
in reply to: #762722

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Subject: RE: TriAmerica Series: Clermont - Short Course

Yeah baby!  It was a fun day that's for sure Laughing

Good job, next up Pineappleman Sprint...

2007-04-16 9:38 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA

Nice job, bro...come on up to Atlanta and we'll show you some "rollers"..

Way to get that first one of the season under your belt!

2007-04-16 11:26 AM

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Thanks guys! Lou, I will be in Atlanta (actually Stone Mountain and in a cabin around Helen, GA in June for a family vacation , but can't bring the bike :-) )
2007-04-16 1:50 PM
in reply to: #763078

User image

Veteran
Parrish, Florida
I couldn't help but laugh when you mentioned stepping in that pothole after putting on dry socks. Being behind your pace it was already pouring when I hit T2, so I knew dry socks was pointless. However, when I sloshed through some of those early puddles it only reinforced my decision!

With your luck in these events (in regards to the weather) I may have to find out what you are registering for and make sure I avoid those races!!!

Edited by Blue Moc 2007-04-16 1:51 PM
2007-04-18 8:52 AM
in reply to: #763427

User image

Expert
Rockledge, Fl
Well my next race is June 3rd in Melbourne, FL. Might want to stay way from there :-)

2007-04-20 9:33 AM

Extreme Veteran
Fort Wayne, IN
Great job Cam.  Riding in the rain w/ an aerobar would be a little unnerving, especially on a downhill w/ wind. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TriAmerica Series: Clermont - Short Course Rss Feed