General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm not an Ironman (IMAZ=DNF) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2007-04-18 5:47 PM
in reply to: #762763

User image

Veteran
Michigan
Subject: RE: I'm not an Ironman (IMAZ=DNF)

I keep coming back to this thread hoping to be able to finally post something when I wasn't all teared up. No luck.

You all are amazing. PirateGirl, I told your story to my family at dinner Monday night.  My kids are 6 and 8, just beginning to learn that life stuff can be hard and uncomfortable, but that doesn't mean we quit. We got to the part of your story where you are pedaling as hard as you can trying to make the cut off-- of course I'm all teared up and my daughter's eyes are like saucers-- "Did she make it? Did she?"

No, honey. She gave it her all in all that wind and she didn't make it. And she was really really dissappointed and sad. And she cried, a lot. And then you know what she did?

"What?"

She told her friends all about her hard work in the race, and how sad she was...and then she signed up to try it again next year.

"Huh." (thinking pause...."Atta girl!"

You're teaching lots of lessons-- here on this board and to my eight year old daughter. Thanks for sharing all of it.

2007-04-18 9:19 PM

User image

Champion
Henderson NV
I just kept thinking about this thread and I just wanted to say again: "I am amazed at what you accomplished!".  Stand tall and know that as others have said you are 1 of the few, the proud that attempted to accomplish what few others even dream about.
2007-04-19 2:14 PM

User image

Torrance CA
I read your post yesterday but wasn't able to finish the entire thread.
Today I did and I too teared up after one or two posts.
I was thinking about you last night - and my goals too.
A HIM is the best I can reach for at this point and that's at least a year away probably.
Last night at dinner my daughter asked me if I'LL EVER DO AN IRONMAN.
I had to honestly say I don't know, that's too far out of my reach now.

IT IS WITHIN YOUR REACH NOW.
You will be experienced, you will be stronger and YOU WILL KNOW WHAT IT TAKES.
I can imagine what it will be like and it will be amazing.

So, are you ready to sign up for the next one?

2007-04-19 2:36 PM
in reply to: #767385

User image

Elite
Tucson, AZ
TRIFOR40 - 2007-04-18 2:47 PM

You're teaching lots of lessons-- here on this board and to my eight year old daughter. Thanks for sharing all of it.

You are all reminding me how much positive can come out of all of this. And you have all helped in the healing process. Going back to work and letting everyone there know what happened wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. People realize an IM is brutal, but with weather conditions it can become even more so. But I get to tell everyone that I'm already entered for next year's race, and I'm already looking at other races this year to get ready.

I wanted to thank each and every one of you for your support. It has been a trememdous help. One thing is for sure...I'm not the same person I was before this journey started, and the journey is still going. Thanks for being a part of the journey.

2007-04-19 2:47 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
I haven't raced an IM yet, but yet feel sooooo sorry. I feel bad for you.
Now let's work on the POSITIVE!
You have an additional experience under your belt and CAN overcome a similar situation later.
You NEVER gave up - the course personnel had to pull you out. Soooo, YOU never quit, and in my eyes, THAT is the heart of a champion.
You are not a loser due to actually participating and competing in such a grueling event (think about all the druggies, couch-potatoes, lethargic people out there that don't have the fortitude or ambition like you have), and don't forget to add to that how gusty the winds were!
My hats off to you, for you still are an IRONMAN (or how about IRONWOMAN).

2007-05-03 2:46 PM

I'm new to this forum, but happened to stumble in here and read your DNF report. You are amazing and you tried your hardest. You definitely have an Iron heart. Good for you!

I trained for IMAZ 2006 with my husband and 8 days before the race my back went out and I was bedridden. I was able to sit in a chair and cheer him on, watching him become an Ironman. It was bitter sweet.

It took me a while to decide, but I knew I had to get the monkey off my back so I signed up for IMAZ 2007. The day was really, really rough out there but luckily we had trained in heavy winds. I just wanted to tell you that coming through the finish line is the most amazing feeling I've ever had in my entire life. I think it was even more special because of my IMAZ 2006 disappoinment.

You're going to experience this and you are going to be elated. Just remember to soak up every single moment as you come down that chute. Mike will be telling you, in less than a year, that you are an Ironman.

Go get 'em, girl!!!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I'm not an Ironman (IMAZ=DNF) Rss Feed  

of 5