General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First Triathlon Questions Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-01-13 2:38 PM

User image

Regular
Normal, Illinois
Subject: First Triathlon Questions
Hi!
Well, first introductions - I'm Julia, and I'm really glad this website has a way to talk to people who know more about triathlons than I do! I'm going to sign up for my first, and I'm looking for some advice on where to go and what to do. My dad competed in the Accenture Chicago triathlon last summer in the clydesdale and 60+ division for the first time, and he did the sprint distance. My sister has done the same triathlon for two years olympic distance, as well as several others in the midwest.
My problem is, I don't know if I should sign up for a sprint or olympic distance and if I should try something as large as Chicago my first time or not....It seems that if my dad can do it then I probably can, but...I know, this is sort of a worrywarts message, but I'm really just looking for some feedback before I sign up for something that is too big for me.
Any messages would be appreciated, and thanks again for the awesome resource for triathloning!

Julia

2004-01-13 3:37 PM
in reply to: #3769

New user

Subject: RE: First Triathlon Questions
If you have several options, I suggest going for a sprint first just so you can get the feel of transitions, the feeling of lead legs after the bike and to gauge your fitness. Even if it is classified as a sprint, take it easy. Better to feel like you could have gone much harder than feeling like you never want to do this agan. If there aren't too many options do a well organized Olympic distance - the goal - finish. If your family members have done tri's they will give you lots of advce.
2004-01-13 4:00 PM

User image

Central Louisiana
I would suggest doing a sprint and would suggest doing a race as large as you are comfortable with doing. If a large race feels uncomfortable and you would rather do a small race, then do the small race. They will usually be the same except for the scale of things.
2004-01-13 4:14 PM

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
Julia,
my advice would be to do a Danskin or the Reebok women's series race first. The difference between those and other races is like night and day. My first race was a Danskin and all of the women were great. We encouraged each other and it was truly a wonderful experience. I was immediately hooked. So I found my way to a local race series and found it to be a completely different animal. No longer were people saying great job as they passed, but they were hurling F bombs my way for slowing them down! Ok, some people were nice and some were not, but it was a far cry from the warm fuzzies at the Danskin.

Good luck whatever you decide to do, it's a fantastic sport.
Ellen
2004-01-13 5:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Epworth. Iowa
Hi Julia-
Welcome - I'm with Michael in suggesting a Sprint to start - if you go early in the season, there's always time to go olympic. I'm new to this sport too and am in pretty good shape - but want to"savor" a finish then look to oly and beyond. We're here to go through this with you. Train smart and train consistent. You will get there.

2004-01-13 8:03 PM
in reply to: #3783

User image

Champion
really?  i have heard stories of a few of the 'elite' being a little grumpy but a bunch from a race series?  usually about 95% of the people are great and totally supportive..i guess there will always be some who always wake up for race day on the wrong side of the bed...

2004-01-13 8:12 PM

User image

Regular
Normal, Illinois
Thanks everybody!
The sprint was what I was leaning towards, so, it sounds great!
I'm so excited about getting into the sport, and I'm also happy to have people to talk to about it. The Danskin races sound interesting!
2004-01-13 9:07 PM
in reply to: #3797

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
yeah, this was a bunch of drafting age groupers. So I hollered at the last guy "you ain't winning anything if you're back here with me anyhow!" LOL Then I went looking for them in the transition area when I was done having made a mental note of a couple of their numbers. But they were long gone. And I was going to do what??
Ellen
2004-01-14 8:50 AM
in reply to: #3802

User image

Champion

tell them to be nice and respect others?  no, probably would have made them grumpier.

2004-01-14 1:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee
Julia,

I am doing my first triathlon this year and my decision has been to do a a Sprint first. Based on everything I have read and the feedback I have gotten, I signed up for a Sprint early in the season (April) in which the swimming portion is in a pool instead of open water. I figure based on how that goes I can decide from there what kind of event I want to do next.

Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » First Triathlon Questions Rss Feed