Horsetooth Half Marathon
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 37m 10s
Overall Rank = 72/871
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 23/99
Pre-race routine:

Woke up after tossing and turning all night and sleeping like crap. I can't say I was overly excited for this race, but that had to do more with the wake up time and driving an hour and a half to get there than it did with the race itself. Had some eggs and orange juice, and then drank an FSR drink on the drive up.
Event warmup:

Did some dynamic stretching and BMG drills to loosen up, hit the bathroom and got in line with the rest of the herd.
Run
  • 1h 37m 10s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I initially wanted to run this just for the practice on hills and to gain some strength that way. Talking with AJ (my coach) earlier in the week, he was talking about how he's doing more things to 'race into shape' this year, and that since there's enough time to recover from this, I might as well go for it and see what happens. If I blow up at mile 10, who gives a shit; at least we'll learn something from the effort. I studied the map to a decent degree so I knew where the hills were and what to expect. Obvioulsy, that's a lot different than actually running them. And I still had a difficult time trying to figure out what pace I'd run at, but let that go and decided to run on feel to see where that put me. The first hill is up what is appropriately called Monster Mountain. It's 6.4% grade for the first mile, a 1/4 mile recovery and then 9.2% grade for the next 3/4 mile. That sucked, but also did a good job of weeding out the pack early on instead of wading through them for the first mile or so. Once I got clear of that hill, I felt really good and was holding a faster pace than I expected without a lot of effort. Kept that up and had a Gu at about 25' in and just before another hill at 5.1% grade. That hill was manageable, but the downhill really sucked and beat up my quads. That thing was steep and you really had to control your effort or else tired legs would give out easily. I still felt good and knew the last hill was around mile 7 so I was waiting for that and subsequently let up my pace a little bit to bring my HR down and be ready for it. Funny part of that was that on the downhill I passed a couple cute girls who were clearly good runners and it looked like they had run collegiately. As they were catching back up, it sounded like a herd of elephants since about 7 guys were running directly behind them. Anyway, the hill hit and I kept my pace up it and paced another guy (training for the Colfax Marathon in support of the Denver Rescue Mission. He had spent the last 1.5 years of his life helping his son progress through a New Life program, recovering from drug addition, which it appears he has since his son will be attending college in the fall). We ran together for a couple miles and then he took off and I couldn't hold on. That was about mile 9.5, which was the first sign that my legs were starting to feel the effects of the hills. In my initial plan, I expected to hold a 7'/mile pace for the last 5 miles, but I don't think that happened. At that point it was a constant conversation with myself trying to keep good form. Once I hit mile 12, I passed a small pack and didn't want them to catch back up. Then I hopped on some guys feet with a 1/4 mile to go, followed him into the chute, and planned on outkicking him. Once he realized I was there, he took off and I had nothing left to go on. Still a good run as it was a half marathon personal best.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe know the course a little better (at all), but I think my effort was good.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a little, got a massage, and had a beer while talking with Julia, Melanie and others.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills.

Event comments:

Definitely a good race on a challenging course, which made it fun. I was fine with not as many drink stations, but would have liked there to be pace groups at the start like there were at the Platte River Half Marathon. Just a sign saying that if you expect to run this pace, start here, etc.

Last updated: 2007-04-16 12:00 AM
Running
01:37:10 | 13.1 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/99
Overall: 72/871
Performance: Good
I'll have to add this later.
Course: Hilly. Total elevation gain was 917'. Total elevation loss was -1154'.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-16 3:04 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: Horsetooth Half Marathon

2007-04-16 4:37 PM
in reply to: #763607

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Subject: RE: Horsetooth Half Marathon
Nice job Ryan... a PR on a hill course. That rocks. Take it easy on the running for a few days. I got back at it too soon after the Platte and it really slowed me down. Impressive run.
2007-04-16 5:11 PM

Champion
South Jersey
WOW! Great race. Way to PR on such a hilly course. You're going to have an awesome season!
2007-04-16 5:25 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
Hey Ryan awesome time. Sounds like it was a pretty hilly course. You are all set to have a very good season. Keep up the good work..
2007-04-16 5:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Denver, CO
Good race!  I wonder if that is a good indication of your pace after biking.  Seems like a hilly half would be more or less equivalent to running a half on biking legs.  We'll see!  In any case, nice work, that was a really strong run.

Edited by Gearwhore 2007-04-16 5:42 PM
2007-04-16 5:40 PM

User image

Master
Denver
Congrats on the PR, that's one damn quick time for such a hilly course.

2007-04-16 8:16 PM

User image

Master
Colorado
Nice job Ryan!  I think (know) you can and will go way faster later in the season.  Congrats on a great race and yeah, I'm paying for the hills today too
2007-04-18 9:14 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Wow!  Impressive Ryan!  Great run on such a hilly course, damn that is hard.  Way to PR and at a great pace.  7:25!
2007-04-18 11:14 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
That sounds like one tough course! Great job on the race and great RR! You are already having a strong racing season, I can't wait to track your progress throughout the year!
2007-04-19 1:20 PM

User image

Expert

Nice strong run!!!  And you're right on both of your 1/2 mary's building confidence.  Looks like you'll be in great shape for your run leg.

2008-02-02 5:30 AM

I liked reading your summary, I'm trying to decide whether to do it before Platte River. It was very detailed and very helpful. Still sitting on the fence about it or doing Gateway.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Horsetooth Half Marathon Rss Feed