General Discussion Race Reports! » NYRR Half-Marathon Grand Prix: Brooklyn Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

NYRR Half-Marathon Grand Prix: Brooklyn - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Brooklyn, New York
United States
New York Road Runner
41F / 5C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 05m 43s
Overall Rank = 1012/
Age Group = 25-26
Age Group Rank = 492/
Pre-race routine:

Took the R to the N at 36th St down to Coney Island. It was nice this was in Brooklyn so it was a short commute.
Event warmup:

I ran into a guy I met on the Subway like two months ago on the baggage trucks. It was pretty wild. His brother is like a world class marathon runner who runs for Australia. Pretty crazy. And he's a manager for one of my favorite stores (Lucky).
Run
  • 2h 05m 43s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

You know the best thing about this race? That it ended two blocks away from my apartment. It was a good race. I wished I had kept up my running, but considering my lack of running, and my decline in fitness, 2:05 aint bad. I set my Garmin for 10:30 miles...for some reason my body wouldn't let me do it.

Also I learned its not the gels that F-up my stomach its the Gatorade. I decided to pour out half a cup of gatarode and dilute with a cup of water at each gatarade stop. VoilĂ ! Jen didn't have to make any pit stops. :)
What would you do differently?:

Um.. How bout not drop off the face of the earth for two months and keep up my training.
Post race
Warm down:

Running into the same dude and talking up a storm. He offered to hook me up with his 40% discount at Nike. Now if he can hook me up with Lucky stuff, I'd be set.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of fitness for sure. I should of been at 8:30 miles.

Event comments:

This was a good race to get my psyched about running again. I'm ready to get into it an run hard.

Last updated: 2007-01-22 12:00 AM
Running
02:05:43 | 13.1 miles | 09m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 492/
Overall: 1012/
Performance: Below average
Course: Start on the Coney Island Boardwalk at West 2nd Street. Head west to a turnaround at West 36th Street and proceed east. Exit off West 10th Street and continue east on Surf Avenue to Ocean Parkway. Turn left/north onto Ocean Parkway to Prospect Expressway to Park Circle. Enter Prospect Park at Park Circle and head east on South Lake Drive. Continue around the northern end of the park, returning south on West Drive. Turn left/east onto Hill Drive and left/north onto East Drive. Turn left/west on Central Drive to the finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-04-16 10:36 PM

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: NYRR Half-Marathon Grand Prix: Brooklyn

2007-04-17 3:52 PM
in reply to: #764204

User image

, Hawaii
Subject: RE: NYRR Half-Marathon Grand Prix: Brooklyn
"This was a good race to get my psyched about running again. I'm ready to get into it an run hard."

Love the attitude. You'll get back to 8:30 pace in no time with that mindset. Great race after a two month break. That break might be what your body needed to heal itself for you to come back strong.
2007-04-23 3:42 PM

User image

Master
Clifton, NJ
just catchin' up on my rr reading! nice job, considering you were AWOL for a while. glad to have you back! maybe we can run one together in may?
2007-04-23 3:45 PM

User image

Expert
Looks who's back in the swing of it! Way to get out there Jen! I'm sure once you start your training again you'll be back out there killing it!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » NYRR Half-Marathon Grand Prix: Brooklyn Rss Feed