General Discussion Race Reports! » Cactus Challenge Triathlon - Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cactus Challenge Triathlon - Sprint - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
3D Racing
66F / 19C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 11m 28s
Overall Rank = 4/390
Age Group = 40 - 44
Age Group Rank = 1/14
Pre-race routine:

Since the race was a late start compared to most races it was nice to not wake up until 5:00am. Woke up and had wheat toast with peanut butter and a banana. Started drinking Gatorade with breakfast. Stopped at Starbucks for my cafeine and I was off to the race. Set up transition and had a Cliff bar around 7:00am.
Event warmup:

Went for a short run for warmup and put wetsuit on for a warmup swim. Even with the wetsuit the cold water took my breath away.
Swim
  • 13m 22s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 26s / 100 yards
Comments:

By far the worst swim I have ever had. However, I can chalk this one up to wardrobe malfunction. About 20 yards into the swim someone knocked my goggles off. I waded to put them back on and could not get them to seel properly. Whenever I put my head into the water they would fill with water. I tried swimming with my eyes closed and tried to site every once in a while but had no idea where I was going. The only option I had was to swim breast stroke so I could see where I was going. I would through in some free style when I felt I could get going in a good line but that was for very short distances.

This was extremely disappointing since I have put a lot of time swimming the last couple months.
Transition 1
  • 02m 23s
Comments:

Good transition. A little slow pulling the wetsuit from my legs but not bad. There is a long run from the water to transition and I did cut this down from last years T1. I've decided to to sockless for Sprints so I saved time by not putting on socks as well.
What would you do differently?:

Transition was pretty good and no socks helped.
Bike
  • 35m 36s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 20.95 mile/hr
Comments:

Happy with the bike. 2 loops around a square course. I had the 2nd fastest bike in the entire sprint race. I did start to cramp in my calf at the end of the last lap. I'm guessing it was due to the cold water because I haven't had that happen before.

Nothing. Because it was a sprint I could go hard all the way.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

Good quick transition. Got out of shoes on bike and got running shoes and race number on and I was out.

Nothing.
Run
  • 19m 18s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt really strong on the run and was glad to see I was fastest overall. I don't think there was a time on the run I felt I was pushing so hard that I would ultimately slow down. My legs felt great off the bike and didn't feel like bricks at all. I guess the longer Oly and HIM training is paying off.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Got the wet towel. Did some stretching and got some pizza and cookies.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Problem with goggles on the swim. May have finished 2nd overall without that prblem.

Event comments:

When I came out of the water and looked at my watch I was extremely mad. I figured I better pick up time in transitions and in the bike and run. I'm glad I stuck with hit and picked it up for the bike and run. I debated on doing the Oly rather than the Sprint as I am focusing this year on HIM. I was also concerned I'd lose Sprint speed because of my added volume. Bottom line, longer swims, longer rides, and longer runs only make you faster in Sprint's as well. I'm glad I did the Sprint to compare times and fitness level to last year. Now I know I'm strong enough for Oly and HIM. I'll throw some Sprints in for training purposes but if I have the choice I will stick to Oly and HIM. Next year will be full IM!

Last updated: 2007-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:22 | 547 yards | 02m 26s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/14
Overall: 0/390
Performance: Bad
Suit: Full Length Wetsuit
Course: Out and back.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 02:23
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:36 | 12.43 miles | 20.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/14
Overall: 2/390
Wind: None
Course: 2 loop course with rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:18 | 03.11 miles | 06m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/14
Overall: 1/390
Course: Slightly hilly and mostly grass cross-country track. I say slightly hilly because my normal run route has some bigger hills than this.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-17 11:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: Cactus Challenge Triathlon - Sprint

2007-04-18 6:54 AM
in reply to: #764763

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: RE: Cactus Challenge Triathlon - Sprint

Awesome race Rick!  Congratulations on 4th overall and first place age group!  You did great pulling yourself together after the problems on the swim.  That experience will serve you well in your Ironman training/racing!  Congratulations again!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cactus Challenge Triathlon - Sprint Rss Feed