Pro-Motion Events,
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 07m 42s
Overall Rank = 601/1291
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 62/163
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 5am to eat some pbj and tea, then hung around until we had to catch the bus to the start
Event warmup:

Just moved around and stood in line for the bathrooms twice to blow time for the 45 min wait till start
Run
  • 2h 07m 42s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

So we get to the island on Friday, and it was dark by the time we got there. So we didnt look too much at the scenery and hills. Next morning we get up and go drive to get coffee and we werent sure the nice Chrysler Town and Country was going to make it up the hill we had to go up to get to the main road. Then we drive down the roads... hill after hill, but sooo pretty and along the water. So we joke about the hills and how great the view will be etc, just kind of laughing it off.

Then came race morning, and as were driving along in the bus to the start, it kind of was reality that the hills were a little bigger than anything we really train on in the metro detroit area. Sooooo, off we go at start. First almost mile, downhill, fun! And then it was on.. hills and hills and turn the corner at the top of a hill expecting a downhill, nope, more hill. I knew that I had a goal of PR'ing with a 2:05, and I was really questioning if I should go for it at this point with the knee issues, and the hills that we are clearly not used to. But I figured it was going to hurt either way, so I just kept going. The elevation change overall was not bad, but just rolling hills all the way. It was cool though to see so many people running up these longgggg hills. Around us in races, I end up passing alot of people because were not used to hills, but out there, they are just used to it, so not many people actually walked up the hills.

Anyways.. I did PR with a 2:07, my previous best was a 2:08, and I was bummed about not getting 2:05, but with those hilss, I was almost just happy to finish. My average heartrate ended up 172, so thats pretty high for a longer race. And I paid dearly. I can almost walk down stairs properly today
What would you do differently?:

Find some more freakin hills to train on
Post race
Warm down:

drank lots of water tried to keep moving.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of hills comparable to those

Event comments:

THe race was awsum, beautiful and well ran. And I got to meet Dean Karnazes, hes a cutie and one big muscle :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-04-17 12:00 AM
Running
02:07:42 | 13.1 miles | 09m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/163
Overall: 0/1291
Performance: Good
Course: HILLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-18 12:41 PM

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
Subject: Whidbey Island Half Marathon

2007-04-18 1:40 PM
in reply to: #766675

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: RE: Whidbey Island Half Marathon
Awesome job on such a difficult course! Now just find yourself a nice, flat course and you'll crush 2:00, no problem Congratulations!
2007-04-18 10:45 PM
in reply to: #766675

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Good job on the PR.   I ran it last year and the rolly hills are really a suprise.  Especially the final 2 miles....   Did they still do that little side trip down the road right before the finish?
2007-04-19 8:34 AM
in reply to: #767732

User image

Expert
Shelby Twp
BellinghamSpence - 2007-04-18 10:45 PM

Good job on the PR.   I ran it last year and the rolly hills are really a suprise.  Especially the final 2 miles....   Did they still do that little side trip down the road right before the finish?

yup, they did.. that kind of sucked!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Whidbey Island Half Marathon Rss Feed