Boston Athletic Association
49F / 9C
Precipitation
Total Time = 3h 46m 20s
Overall Rank = 9584/
Age Group = M 18 - 39
Age Group Rank = 3106/
Pre-race routine:

I had laid all my stuff out the night before so up at 4:50, got dressed in most of the race stuff except shoes, socks and jacket and threw on the "throw-away" sweatshirt and pants to keep warm until the start. Hopped in the car with Dave and he drove me down to the buses. Once on the buses it was about a 45 minute ride to Hopkinton with one stop to assist a bus that had broken down and take on some of their passengers. Got to the athlete's village and quickly headed through the muck to the big azz tent they had set up. Grabbed some Gatorade and found a small patch of grass to sit on and wait the hour until we had to go line up.

At about 9:10 I took off the throw-away clothes and got suited up with my race stuff and shoes. I put everything in a bag and went to the information tent to donate them to charity and walked to the start. It was lightly drizzling but the wind was down and the temp. was not ridiculously cold. Took a pair of the knit gloves they were giving out as well as two little tea towels to wipe off.

I picked up another Gatorade as well and ate my Clif Shot Bloks and drank the energy drink on the way to the line and stopped for a pee break along the way, noticing nicely that it was relatively clear which meant I was hydrated well - which had been one of my worries with flying up Sunday morning and then going right to the Expo. and walking wround. I got to the corrals and it had picked up a little with the rain. That ended a few minutes later and it was almost a pleasant time to start. Light winds and little precip. Chatted with my fellow corralers and thought about running with someone who also had a sub 3 goal in mind.
Event warmup:

Uh, right ...... it's a marathon .....
Run
  • 3h 46m 20s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

At the gun it takes me and the rest of my corral a little under two minutes to get accross the line. I knew from other's race reports that the first mile you are basically stuck with the pace that is given, but it was still frustrating not to be able to stride out a bit and let the legs go. First mile was around a 7:08 or so which was off of what I wanted. Mile two was much of the same but I was able to pick out a little more breathing room and it was in the 6:55 range, or right near the 3 hour pace goal. 3 was better with a 6:48-ish. But it was about there I started to get frustrated with my HR. Even though I was not working that hard and my breathing was easy, my HR was through the roof and wouldn't stay below 180 (my LT is about 176 or so). I knew that that would be bad news if it didn't come down because through the first 5k I was totally above LT and the lactic acid was just building in the old muscles. Wonderful .....

I knew I had to be smart and back it off a bit to see if I could get it back down. I didn't want to as my pace was where it needed to be and I wasn't feeling like I was working that hard but I had to start damage control for the HR. I kept checking and it wasn't really going down even though I was incrementally backing off the pace. By the 10k I had felt like I backed off a lot but my pace was still a 6:53 average (versus a 6:51 at the 5k). Still at the high 170's to 180 range I was shaking my head and forcing myself to slow more.

By the 15k mark I finally had the HR down into the correct range of mid to low 170's and my overall average pace had fallen to 7:01 or so. This was when the sign of the doom to come hit ...... not one but BOTH calves started twinging. Threw me for a loop. I had been hydrating fine and took my Gu at 5 miles as planned and before the start had peed nice and clear so I wasn't dehydrated. How in the fu-k could both legs be cramping only 9 miles into a marathon??? I expected to get some twinges as usual but not until around the 22 or 23 mark, not this frickin' early?? It was right then and there that I knew for sure it was going to be a really long day on the road .......

We had gotten more rain starting around the 6 mile mark or so and this persisted on and off for the next 7 or 8 miles. By the time I got to the W girls at around the 20k mark my pace average was down to 7:11 and it was steadily declining. And I wasn't even to the hills yet. I did give a few high 5's and gave one of the girls a peck on the cheek (for the whole Boston experience since this is the only time I ever plan on doing it) but I was still starting to feel the slide down. There was no way in hell I wasn't going to finish, but my goals were totally out the window at this point. After the pure crescendo that is Wellsley it was much quieter through the half mark and I was still on pace (on paper) to hit my BQ time of 3:12 or better. But I knew that wasn't happening with the way the legs felt. I was starting to get twinges in other muscles by then, not just the calves. I was still hydrating as much as possible and had taken another Gu at 10, but it wasn't helping.

The next few miles were just slogging through the distance and knowing that the Newton hills were coming. I didn't know quite what to expect, but I vowed to run the whole damn way up each one no matter what. I hadn't walked yet and I sure as hell wasn't going to let myself walk up them! First one was long, but manageable even if 95% of the people were passing me. Tried to recover on the run into #2, slogged up that one and tried to recover for #3. While going up number 3 I had to laugh because this dude came by saying"This is what it's all about, climbing Heartbreak Hill in Boston!" Ummmm, hate to tell you dude ...... that's the NEXT hill, not this one, even I knew that ...... Some guy running near me said out loud what I was just thinking, but the other guy was already out of ear shot.

After getting through #3 I knew there was only Heartbreak left. I gritted the teeth, rolled my eyes every time I looked at my watch for mile splits as they were skyrocketinging faster than Google's stock and just pressed on. I got to the base of HB and just slogged on. Ran the whole thing and sighed a little relief at the top. Once you crest the main part there is a slight decline before a short incline and people were taking off with their eyes on the prize only 5 miles away. But that's about the time my legs decided they had had enough of this running sh-t and decided to lock on up. About a half mile from HB I had to stop and massage out some charlie horses from various places in both legs. I stretched and massaged and tried to run on.

No dice. I could run about 3 or 400 yards or so before the muscles would lock up again. The next three miles were walk - massage - walk - jog - lock up - massage - walk ........ repeat. After the hills I still had some hope that I could squeek out a sub 3:30 if I could somehow run the rest of the way. Not anymore after the first bout.

After the Citgo building it was down under one of the roads and then snake through some other buildings to Boyslton St. After attempting to run anything remotely downhill or uphill without success I walked the underpass and when I got back to level ground I said "this is it, you need to make it to the finish." As my Road ID has engraved on it ..... "Suck it up, Buttercup!"

I grit my teeth and ignored the twinges and cramps and did my best Ironman Shuffle. I made the turn onto Boylston and saw the big blue banners ahead. The crowds were deep, the road was wide and there were people all around grinning as they suffered the last few hundred meters. I pointed at the banners as I made the turn and saw them and said "That is what it's all about!" and kept pushing. No way in hell I'm going to walk accross that line!

I pull the shoulders back, strighten the jacket out and do my best to run in with my head up and a few fist pumps. As I get near the finish I do the rockin' metal salute with a few pumps keeping my head up and smiling for the cameras. One of my worst races to date, but I finished the Boston Marathon!
What would you do differently?:

Not sure. Since I have no idea why my body decided it would "have none of this excercise crap today" I don't know how I could have made it better. Maybe backing it off early on and not trying to push the pace when it was obvious so soon that it wasn't going to happen that day. Perhaps I could have run 15 - 20 minutes better by throwing in the pace towel early on instead of the progressive decline that happened. :shrugs:
Post race
Warm down:

Walked through the finish area got my mylar space suit, some food, dropped off my chip and got my medal. Hobbled to the family meeting area and Dave found me. Hobbled for a bit and then waited while he went to get his car and drove us home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Whatever bug it was that made my HR stay high and whatever it was that caused me to start cramping so early. I can't blame my training because I was well set for the event. Maybe I peaked too early and the half marathon I did in March was my "A" race conditioning and not this one. I really don't know why I had such a crappy race. I felt good about everything all the way up to the first few miles. It just wasn't my day to shine.

Event comments:

I had a great time overall, just a bad race. Boston's reputation as the spectator supported and best marathon "experience" is well earned and truly amazing. I was surprised that I wasn't upset by such a crappy performance from me, but realized that the fans cheering you on, the kids who beam with joy as you take an orange slice from them and the overall positive vibe even in the worst conditions in years makes this an amazing thing to have earned the honor to participate in! How can you really have a "bad day" when you just finished the Superbowl of marathons!

Last updated: 2007-01-09 12:00 AM
Running
03:46:20 | 26.2 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 3106/
Overall: 9584/
Performance: Below average
Have to upload it later, my HRM is at home.
Course: It's Boston, there are a whole lot better descriptions out there of it then I could ever write!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-04-18 1:07 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: Boston Marathon

2007-04-18 1:13 PM
in reply to: #766739

User image

Master
New York
Subject: RE: Boston Marathon
Congratulations! Sorry the race didn't turn out exactly as you planned, but still - AMAZING!
2007-04-18 1:30 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
I'm soo glad you had so much fun on this race, despite it being so painful. It was awesome meeting you, and I'm glad we had dinner! I can't to follow your progress towards IMFL!!
2007-04-18 1:33 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
To start off with, I have to repeat something you said in your report:

"I was well set for the event" in reference to your training. Fitness was definitely not the issue here. Heck, you were hobbled with some pretty ugly cramping muscles and a flukey HR and you still cranked out a 3:46.

Of course, Boston is about the experience more than anything else. I am glad that the weather was not as bad as to be expected but I do wonder if the cold and/or wind did not affect you early in the race. (It did affect a few of my friends)

I really hope that you do return to Boston and run again. Marathoning is a huge exercise in delayed gratification, and a Sub-3 here will be all that much sweeter a victory.

You took part in what will certainly become one of the more memorable Boston Marathons. Although it was not as epic as the Boston Massacre, it probably will run a very close second.

I have to say, it took a lot of courage to press on and push through what was obviously not the most comfortable way to run a Marathon. Way to hang in there.

Take Care and Rest/Recover Well
2007-04-18 3:14 PM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA
Congrats Rick. I know the result is nowhere near what we know you are capable of, but sometimes we just don't have it. I know you'll be back to set the record straight
2007-04-18 3:14 PM

User image

Crystal Lake, IL

Rick, I've got to be honest with you.  I'm more impressed with your most excellent attitude toward the race you had than if you had successfully run a 3:10.  What an amazing way to handle what you went through!  Great job.  That aside, I'm also impressed with the performance itself.  Way to tough it out.  And I don't know if you should second guess whether you should have slowed down earlier or not.  Your training was solid and you were hydrated so you had no way of knowing it you were just going through something that you could shake or work through.  I think you did it right, you  did it with style and a great attitude and I'm proud of you.  Nice going, Boston Finisher!

2007-04-18 3:47 PM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Still blazing fast in my book. Way to work through the unexpected cramps. Congrats!!!
2007-04-18 4:15 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
A lesser athlete would be cussing and whining about how bad this sucked after training so long and hard. But that ain't you!!! You are a class act. Thanks for sharing your race with us. It's good to know that even an awesome competitor can have an off race and still enjoy the ride.

Pam
2007-04-19 12:58 AM

User image

Veteran

I am very inspired reading this. You did do the Superbowl of marathons after all. And you have a great attitude. Being on the East Coast I know exactly what kind of wind you were dealing with all day. I read your report waiting to hear about your experience with the weather. And there is nothing in there and I really have to think that was a factor. But for me, as someone under your experienced wing, I am reminded of some things. For one, that a race is between you and yourself only. External factors may matter but in the end, it is just you out there.  It is just you that you control and sometimes despite training, proper hydration, correct nutrition the only thing that you really control is your attitude.  

Really great race report. Thanks for taking the time to put it down.

Edited by dr_evil_0818 2007-04-19 1:01 AM
2007-04-19 8:34 AM

User image

Regular
Bristol, CT
Great job toughing it out and pushing through during what is no doubt a tough situation. Perhaps it was just a combination of the rain, cold and the downhills that kicked off the cramping, or just bad luck. Either way, you persevered and finished strong, on what is no doubt one of the toughest courses on the legs. Those downhills are very deceiving. Way to knock out a great finish and maintain a postive attitude at the same time, a class act.
2007-04-19 9:28 AM
in reply to: #768064

Champion
South Jersey
Congrats, Rick! I am sorry the race didn't go as you had hoped/expected, but you had a great attitude about it and truly made the most of your Boston Marathon experience. I've enjoyed following your training the past few months - you are a great athlete. Good luck with the rest of your season....it's gonna be a good one .

2007-04-19 4:13 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Glad you were able to enjoy the experience even though the race didn't go as planned for you.And I'm sure all that run fitness you've built will come out in full fury during some race this season.
2007-04-19 9:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Latonia, Kentucky (near Cincinnati)
Hey, great job man! Your race sounds strangely like mine did! Hey, it was Boston, and it sounds like you still had a great time, so YE HA, we qualified, ran it and lived to tell the tale. Hope ya got to try the clam chowder while you were there...it was AWESOME!!!! Lets go kick some more this year now!!!
2007-04-20 5:43 AM

User image

Expert
Manchester, NH

Rick,

Great report.  Thanks for sharing!  I know the day didn't go as planned for you, but I have to say I am really inspired by you.  Most people that went into Boston with the high goals that you had going in would have been bitchy and whiny about the conditions (I know I was :-) ) and the resulting difficulties. But you kept a really positive attitude the whole time.  I could see that you were disapointed by your cramping issues and results, but you were still smiling and positive at the finish line.  It would have been easy to have blamed the weather etc... but you just looked at the day as "The Boston Experience" and took it as such. 

I know that you don't have intentions of doing any more Bostons, but if that changes, you are more than welcome to come back and crash up here and we'll run the next one together. 

Great job, Rick!

2007-04-20 9:14 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

One of my worst races to date, but I finished the Boston Marathon!

... and that is what it is all about.

Congrats on getting there, the excellent training that it took and for finishing the Superbowl of marathons with an awesome attitude.

2007-04-20 12:19 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Congrats on running Boston!!!  That is really what it is all about.  Running the race is just the reward for all the hard work you did earning your BQ!  Congrats! 

2007-04-20 6:51 PM

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
You did one of the premiere races in the world.

Congrats!
2007-04-21 3:27 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-04-22 9:01 AM

Extreme Veteran
Thanks for posting your RR. Your focus and determination paid off. You have shown that mental training is just as important as the physical training. Congrats!

Edited by JoyfullySo 2007-04-22 9:01 AM
2007-04-22 11:27 AM

Congratulations on having a great day!
2007-04-22 7:58 PM

Master
Central, IL
Awesome job. Thanks for sharing~!

2007-04-22 10:45 PM

Elite
Lakewood, CO
Way to gut it out and finish with posture!
2007-04-24 1:25 PM

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
I've been thinking about trying to qualify for Boston, and reading your report sealed the deal for me -- I'll give it a shot next year!

Good luck at Eagleman, BTW, I'll be there as well, for my first HIM.
2007-04-24 3:11 PM

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

Superbowl of Marathons is right.  You Finished Boston!!

I completely understand how you feel and it's awesome to see that you took away what you shoudl have from the race. 

It's not just a marathon...it was Boston and wear the medal proudly!!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Boston Marathon Rss Feed