Team Magic
40F / 4C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 22m 5s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 7/9
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3am and left for Irondale. Got there about 5:30. Drank a Slim Fast on the way and a little Pepsi for caffeine. Once there I picked up my packet and set up my transition area, keeping everything to a minimum amount. Ate some sports beans immediately before the race.
Event warmup:

Biked for maybe 10min on the run course, kept everything easy. Did a very short jog and knee lifts, then huddled in the gym with everyone else until the start.
Run
  • 29m 2s
  • 2.7 miles
  • 10m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

I met my goal time of being betwen 27 and 30min. HR was in zone 4 the entire time, ran the whole course, starting out harder than usual. Took a Hammer Gel going into transition with water. I think I could have pushed myself a little harder but overall was pleased.
What would you do differently?:

I probalby should have warmed up more, but with how cold it was I just wanted to stay warm inside.
Transition 1
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

fastest transition time out of age group. overall a good transition considering how long I had to run to get to my bike. Found it easily, the new Yankz helped with the shoes (and frozen fingers).

Had a hard time clipping in and getting up to speed.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 9s
  • 17.2 miles
  • 13.38 mile/hr
Comments:

was just a few seconds out of being 3rd in AG, 1:30 out of 2nd. Eventhough I felt that I struggled I must have done well considering the conditions.

I started out strong on the first gradual climb and was able to stay in my aerobars through most of the way out. My average speed was 16+mph. The cemetary climb went well - I didn't even know I was on it until about 1/2 way through. My gears were slipping a little when I was changing gears, which may have been because of the wet conditions. THe second 1/2 I didn't even try to get aero because of the wind. My fingers froze so badly that when I tried to take some Hammer Gel at the 50min mark I could barely get it out, then had to stop to put it back in my pocket - my fingers just wouldn't work. They didn't want to shift either.

The weathe was HORRIBLE!!! I needed more nutrition but couldn't feel my fingers or coordinate with the wind enough to take any in. Needed warmer gloves and shoe covers.
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

couldn't feel my feet enough to run with the bike - couldn't tell what they or my hands were doing; 3rd in time for this transition
Run
  • 32m 51s
  • 2.7 miles
  • 12m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran straight out (well, jogged), and kept moving up the first hill. Then I went to a walk up the hill, run on flat and downhill. Seemed to work pretty well, but probably could have pushed a little harder.

Should have pushed myself a little harder, but better than last.
Post race
Warm down:

stretched on gym floor

What limited your ability to perform faster:

cold, wind, legs weren't completely ready. Did better this race about pushing myself, but I think i still had a little left to give for the last run.

overall this was a better race than usual in terms of pacing myself. HR average was 172 overall, so low zone 4. The weather was my biggest limiter, but mentally I felt like I handled it pretty well.

Event comments:

I would recommend any Team Magic race to anyone. They put on excellent events, great traffic control, and plenty of help on the course. One girl had a flat and the SAG was there and had it changed in 3min or less. and as one of the guys said - there were so many cops on the course that he thought he should be running away from them.

Last updated: 2007-04-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:02 | 02.7 miles | 10m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/9
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Run started uphill slightly, with the first 1/2 being mainly up, the 2nd half being mainly down. The temp was under 40F, misting rain, and wind although the trees blocked most of it.
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:31
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
01:17:09 | 17.2 miles | 13.38 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/9
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: This part was just miserable. It has a slow steady climb at the beginning, then has some rollers until the first turnaroud. You come flying down the hill then have to climb immediately for at least 1/2 a mile. I ran out of gears on this hill and had to drop to a lower cadence. The wind wasn't that strong as a tail wind but kept increasing in strength throughout the ride, which of course was strongest with a head wind and cross wind. It also started to rain some, with water going into my face. The asphalt was wet throughout.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:32:51 | 02.7 miles | 12m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/9
Performance: Below average
Course: Backwards of the first run, still first 1/2 up, second 1/2 down. Cold, windier, and more wet
Keeping cool Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-04-18 4:25 PM

User image

Regular
, Oklahoma
Subject: Whistlestop Duathlon

2007-04-18 8:42 PM
in reply to: #767266

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: RE: Whistlestop Duathlon

Great race this weekend in miserable conditions!  Just be thankful you didn't have to do a second loop on the bike course when the rain really begin and it felt like a hurricane.

Just a small piece of unsolicited advice on HR zones.  Consider getting this professionally measured.  172 for low Z4 sounds crazy unless you have off the wall numbers.  For example, my Aet/LT is 165. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Whistlestop Duathlon Rss Feed