General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Training Programs - Be IRON Fit Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-19 1:00 PM

Subject: IM Training Programs - Be IRON Fit
Has anyone used Don Fink's "Be IRON Fit" IM training program? What are your thoughts on it? Any preference between Be IRON Fit and the programs here on BT?

2007-04-20 9:31 PM
in reply to: #768617

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: RE: IM Training Programs - Be IRON Fit
I bought his book last year.  Used it as a guideline.   Has 3 different levels of competitivness, so that was good...  
2007-04-21 6:45 PM

User image

Master
Newbury Park, CA

I'm using the competitive plan this year and really like it.  I like the number of bricks it includes as well as the volume progression.  I looked at the BT plans last year and (from what I remember) they didn't really have a set schedule such as Monday - rest, Tuesday - Hourish run, hour swim, Wednesday - hour bike :45 run...... Rather Mondays could be anything fro rest to swim to run to bike.  It is hard enough to plan my life around a regular training schedule; I just can't see trying to make the BT plan work for me.

Of course that is just my opinion on it as lots of people have used the BT plan and have done very well.  You need to study a whole bunch of plans and find what works for you and what addresses your limiters. 

2007-04-21 8:53 PM

User image

Regular
2007-04-22 8:57 PM

Regular
Boston. MA
I also bought the book and would like to use it for IMLP 2008. I read it in it's entirety. The only thing that concerns me is heartrate training. I'm currently using Friels TTB and the HR training or formula seems to be very different than Finks. How did those who used Finks find the training with his HR methods?
2007-04-26 4:56 PM
in reply to: #772187

User image

Regular
Denver, CO (Cheeseman Park area)

nel34 - 2007-04-22 7:57 PM I also bought the book and would like to use it for IMLP 2008. I read it in it's entirety. The only thing that concerns me is heartrate training. I'm currently using Friels TTB and the HR training or formula seems to be very different than Finks. How did those who used Finks find the training with his HR methods?

Actually, Fink lays out a couple of different HR testing protocols (I'm using that plan for the Full Vineman - Competitive plan - and love it!), but regardless of which method you choose to FIND your HR Max, or better yet, your Lactate Threshold, Fink's plan is based on percentages of those numbers.  Personally, I opted to get a lactate threshold test.  Although it was more painful than any workout I think I've ever done, it established scientifically-based zones for me.  I did all the other tests and calculations too though.  Freil's "self-test" protocols for finding your lactate threshold were by FAR the closest to the actual blood tests.  But I was still off on my zones (my Z2, for instance, I tested to be at 150-160, but the LT test actually proved it to be 144-157).  I have adjusted accordingly, and I can see major improvements in just a month's time.  It's not cheap ($200-ish), so in my opinion, the second best option is to do your own LT testing and go with that.  Max HR should not come into play for IM training - it's all about lactate threshold and the zones are based off of that.

Good luck! 

2007-04-26 4:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
I had a friend who used it last year for IM Wisconsin. She really liked the program and did really well in Madison.

Melissa
2007-04-26 7:15 PM
in reply to: #778178

Regular
Boston. MA
If I recall Fink uses the 220-age to determine HR's. I've heard that this method isn't the best way to determine your HR's. Also, Which zone would your LT be in according to Fink, lets say 159 is the number? After briefly looking over his zones it looked to be difficult to sustain efforts in HR zones for the time periods he recommends.
2007-04-27 1:50 PM
in reply to: #778293

Expert
Atlanta, GA
Also, can anyone compare it to Gale Bernhardt's "Training Plans for Multisport Athlete's" IM plan? Has anyone used both? I used her plan for my first Oly and am using it for the Gulf Coast HIM. I am considering switching to BeIRONfit for IMFL.

Thanks,
Tony
2007-04-29 2:05 PM

Saugus
A year ago when I decided to do IMAZ I compared Fink’s beIRONfit Intermediate training plan with BT.com and Gayle Bernhardt’s plans. Fink’s plan has you putting in more hours on the weekly LONG bike & run, as well as total run and bike hours over 20 weeks. But GB’s plan averaged more hours per week, a little under 13 hrs., while Fink’s avg’d 12:23 and BT avg’d. 12:11 over a 20 week period. BT.com & GB’s plans include strength training each week, where Fink’s does not. I’ve followed GB’s plans for Sprint’s and Oly’s and BT's plan for HIM’s, which I was very pleased with. I decided to go with Fink’s plan for my first IM and stuck with it for the most part. Like someone else pointed out, and the part about the plan that worked best for me, was that I knew every Wed. was going to be a brick workout and Tues. & Thurs. I’d be in the pool, for example. My only complaint was that the recovery or step-back weeks were only reduced by an hour, and sometimes it wasn’t enough of a recovery for me so I’d do even less hours than the plan called for. I finished IMAZ in 14:36, felt pretty good all things considered, and was very happy with my time. Next year I want to finish a bit faster and will probably follow Fink’s Competitive plan. One more thing, even though Fink’s plan has you riding a lot, get as many (quality) hours on the bike as possible because as I learned at IMAZ, the Ironman is all about the bike, in my humble opinion, and I will definitely be working on improving my bike strength & pace for next year. Hope this helps!

2007-04-30 3:39 PM

New user

My husband and our good friend and I are all following the competitive program from "Be Ironfit." We're training for IMCDA in June. I think that it's really good and we've all seen our strength and stamina increase a lot.
My primary complaint with Fink is his unrealistic approach to training (and incorporating it into your life) as something that takes only as long as the actual hours spent swimming, biking and running. In one of his early sections of the book, he "calculates" the amount of time available to train by subtracting work, sleep, commute time (and about 15 minutes per day for family) and comes up with the 12 - 20 hours needed for his plan. I found this frustrating, unhelpful and unrealistic.
In planning around all of the training, we had to take into account the loads of extra laundry and groceries needed, driving to and from wherever you train, the constant refueling, the endless showering, keeping up with work, getting enough sleep, etc. Sometimes, it really feels like a puzzle trying to get it all in, and I think that it's good to be informed before starting whatever plan you choose.
The other thing that I have not agreed with (and altered from his plan) is the lack of strength and flexibility training.
Nonetheless, we're putting our faith in Fink's plan and hoping to be able to finish strong.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Training Programs - Be IRON Fit Rss Feed