United States
Ironman North America
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 44m 21s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 272/476
Pre-race routine:

My pre-race routine started Friday with the pratice swim and registration. I was wanting to take in as much as possible because I've been training for this for a year. The energy was in the air was great on Friday starting with the swim and then registration. Registration blew me away with the amount fellow participants and positive attitudes. After registration, I went for a practive ride with Lobo(Tim), Pilgrim(Brian), and Maria (All NM Outlaws) on the Beeline highway. We drove the course first and then went for a ride and it seemed to great, but we all know what happened on Sunday. Back to the Hotel and then headed to the Athlete's dinner, where I got to meet all the great people from BT. They were easy to find, due to the sign. Saturday we turned in our transitions bags and bikes, which was weird because you had to really think to know what exactly what you need and bag it up and leave it in transition. But, later I found out that I will have access to both bags race morning if need be. Pre-race dinner Saturday night with coach and friends then to bed early. Woke up at 4am and lathered up with Sunscreen and ate a banana and half a bagel with peanut butter and a couple of bites of a muffin and Gatorade. Drove down to the start of the race to get things together.
Event warmup:

I dropped off my special needs bags and put my prescription sun glasses in my swim to bike bag then dropped off my special needs bags. Lobo and then went and pumped up our tires and put our hydration on the bike. Handed off my pump to our wives and went to stand in line to get body marked. We found out coach and Maria and stood around and looked at the Pros getting ready for the swim. Finally they clled us to cross the timing mat and before we knew it we were in jumping in the water to swim to the start line. I knew over 2000 people were doing IM but it looked like a lot more at that time. The National Anthem was played and Lobo, Maria and I high fived and the canon went off and so were we.
Swim
  • 1h 32m 54s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 12s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was prepared to get hit and kicked but the start wasn't that bad and we were only about 30 yards behind the start line by the bouys. I felt great going out east, because I could spot my line easily due to the sun and the swim seemed to be going great. I made it to Rural bridge and though the turn around is coming soon, but it seemed like forever before the turn around bouy. Here's were my swim got wierd. I couldn't spot the bouys going west. I know this should be easier, but I couldn't find them. I wish they were about three times the size they were. So, I started to sight off of the Mill bridge, but this wasn't agood idea because I was swerving all over the place. The next thing I knew I was up agaisnt the wall on the far right, so I corrected myself and next thing I was next to the bouys. This was getting frustrating after the third time this happens. I felt like I was swimming 3 miles instead of 2.4. Finally, I went under Mill bridge and started making my way to the steps. I WAS GOING TO FINISH the swim at IM!!! I was pumped when I got out of the water and the announcer even said my name and then said over 1,700 swimmers have gotten out of the water. After that, my bubble popped, but I got over it soon because I thought back to waht I just said in that I just finished an IM swimming distance with 50 minutes to spare. Considering I couldn't even swim 50 yards straight last year at this time I wasn't going to let that get me down! My wet suit stripper was extremely cool and before I knew it I was running to T@ with my suit in hand.
What would you do differently?:

I need practice with OWS and get more lesson's.
Transition 1
  • 09m 37s
Comments:

The volunteers were incredible! I was running to get my T1 bag and before I knew it they handed it to me and into the changing tent I went. This place was very crowded, but I found a place to sit. I put on my jersey, helmet, socks, and shoes and off to get sunscreen lathered all over me. Ran into transition and my bike was waiting for me and ran to the mount line. I was wearing my NM jersey with a Zia symbol on the front and back, so people were yelling go NM. That was awesome.

Not much, maybe take things in more.
Bike
  • 6h 54m 44s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.20 mile/hr
Comments:

Three loop course and I know you all know it was very windy, and it was very windy. The first loop went well to plan in that I was going to spin and try to keep my HR low and try to puch the 2nd and 3rd laps, but as soon as I turned around on Beeline I knew the plan needed to be adjusted to not blow out my legs for the run. I was trying to shoot for 2hr laps, but my first one was around 2hr 9min. My second lap was faster, but I tried to hammer it when the wind was behind me and this almost drained me. I felt myself getting dehdrated from the wind and adjusted my food intake and hydration along with sodium. I knew I needed to get my levels back up on the bike to survive the run. So my third lap was the slowest of all of them. Overall, I consumed 4 Gatorades, 2 bottles of Perpetuem, 4 bottles of water in my Aero with Nuun, and 3 Power gels, 2 Uncrustables, 1 Cliff bar. I knew I could pushed harder on the bike and probably should have, but the wind was draining me so I was spinning at a higher cadence. Again, the volunteers were great and were very helpful. Thanks.

I would have tried to go harder on the bike and tried to adjust to the run on the run, but since this was my first IM it will be something to learn from.
Transition 2
  • 06m 19s
Comments:

I was so glad to get off the saddle and into T2. As I got off my bike the volunteers took my bike away and I saw my friend from PA and he was yelling f**k yeah, so I had to go over and give hime high five! Changed into my Craft Tri top and our I went. This transition went great and it seemed like I was in and out of there very quick. There was a guy sitting next to me in T2 that was getting a neck massage? And he was loving it waaay to much. Coming out of the tent I had five girls latering me up with sunscreen! This was awesome! The girl doing my face said I looked like a Margarita without the Tequlia. I told her she probably wouldn't like to taste me right now.LOL

Nothing
Run
  • 5h 00m 50s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I came out of T2 and had to use the restroom and I was glad to see this! This was the first time I had used the restroom since the water. The first loop I felt great and I think averaged 10min miles. It was great to see all these people working soo hard to achieve there goals. I was coming to the second aid station and saw a BT suit and I introduced myself to Dgunthert. This lap seemed to go by very fast and the aid stations were great, especially the chicken broth! I saw Lobo on the run looking strong along with Madcow and Andy (Chile). Lap 2 went to same, but I was walking the aid stations more and trying to take everything in, I was feeling well enough to know I was going to finish and this made the run a lot better. I was thinking I should've gone harder on the bike, but then again I probably wouldn't be feeling this good on either. Lap 3 the aid stations started to get longer and slower, but I was still feeling pretty good. At mile 22 I didn't do a Power gel and I couldn't run to the next aid station! I fell short of my goal to run the majority of the marathon, but who cares. After the next aid station I was able to run the rest to the finish. My wife had signedmy son up to run down the chute with me so I was getting really excited to have my sone share this with me! I was meet first half way down the bridge by my fried from PA (Ryan) who's girldfriend called ahead to say I was coming. I was running down Mill and I was on could nine and I was rushed with emotion and then I saw my boy, Jake jumping up and down on the corning waiting for me and I wanted to cry! One of the main reasons I did this race was for the EXACT moment! I couldn't catch my breath and then I took his hand and together we ran down the chute listening to Mike Riley announce " Mike Montoya You Are An IRONMAN!!!!!!" My son was going crazy and I wouldn't have done it any other way. I know a lot of peopl don't like kids or family members running down with the athletes, but I don't care one bit! If it wasn't for the support from my family this goal would've never happened. So, this was his medal and glory as much as mine!
Post race
Warm down:

Talked with Lobo and our families, coach, and many NM Outlaws. Ate pizza, and picked up our bags and bike and went back to the Hotel. Ryan went to get Lobo and I a double monster style burger from IN-n-Out. Soaked in an epson salt bath and rubbed my legs down with Bi-Freeze.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wind, and just being faster.

Event comments:

I can't wait to do another one! Thanks to ALL the volunteers, they were amazing. I learned a lot about myself over this past year and most of it was positive. BT was great with support and encouragement! I had a blast doing this race and I hope to spend more time with all of the BTer's next time! Good Job everyone!

Last updated: 2007-01-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:32:54 | 4224 yards | 02m 12s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/476
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: Zoot
Course: Out and back loop
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 09:37
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:54:44 | 112 miles | 16.20 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road:   Cadence: 93
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 06:19
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:00:50 | 26.2 miles | 11m 29s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Three loops
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-04-19 9:01 PM

Albuquerque, NM
Subject: Ironman Arizona

2007-04-19 9:16 PM
in reply to: #769371

User image

Elite
Subject: RE: Ironman Arizona
Great report.  Would love to see a picture with you and your son in the finishing line.
2007-04-19 9:42 PM

Albuquerque, NM
I just want to warn people that I didn't proof read this RR...sorry!  It's pretty bad.
2007-04-19 10:33 PM

User image

Master
New York
Awesome job! Congratulations!
2007-04-20 1:17 AM

User image

Pro
Los Angeles, CA
Great race and report. Congrats IRONMAN!!!
2007-04-20 4:26 AM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Hey i think it's a great report! you did super on the run. congrats!

2007-04-20 8:50 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Congratulations......IRONMAN!  Great race.  And a great run.  

TJ 

2007-04-20 9:18 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Great race report! Sounds like you had a solid day out the course. Even though you think you could/should have pushed harder on the bike, you set yourself up for success and an enjoyable (not miserable) run.

Congratulations on becoming an Ironman!
2007-04-20 10:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Albuquerque, NM
We F'ing did it. Hard to believe it was a year ago we were talking on the phone and both hit the sign up button and said...What did we do? All the training the sacraficing all paid off. Your swimming improvement has been tremendous, goes to show that hard work does pay off.

Mike Montoya YOU are an IRONMAN!!!

So when you getting an Mdot?
2007-04-20 11:59 AM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
You are awesome!!! I am soo proud of you for your incredible accomplishment. It has been so much fun watching you get ready for this event, and I am so glad you had such a wonderful experience racing it! Congratulations, Ironman!!
2007-04-20 12:02 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Great race report!   You are an Ironman for sure after that wind!

2007-04-20 3:42 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Congrats on becoming an IronMan!  Great RR and it was awesome to see that rather than dwelling on the competative side of the race you gave us the human side.  Great job enjoying the day for the accomplishment it is.
2007-04-21 12:51 AM

User image

Mesa
Great job Super Salty Margarita Mike Montoya........ You are an IRONMAN!

Now wear our m-dot gear and smile

I'll look forward to the next race you guys come to/the ABQ to LA ride!
2007-04-21 1:38 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Congrats on a great race.  It was exciting reading your race report and I am glad your son got to join you at the finish!  Great job Ironman!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Arizona Rss Feed