General Discussion Triathlon Talk » heightened hunger after swimming Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-21 8:27 PM

Subject: heightened hunger after swimming
Do any of you ever get extremely hungry after your swim workout? Every time I finish my swim workout that the gym, I get really hungry. I get so ravenous that I could everything in sight, resulting in overeating, and basically not having a balanced meal. Does anyone come across the same dilemma as I do? What do you do in a situation like mine?

Edited by rotceh222 2007-04-21 8:32 PM

2007-04-21 8:41 PM
in reply to: #771517

User image

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Subject: RE: heightened hunger after swimming

Happens everytime I swim. Everytime I get out of the water after an hour or more and I feel like I haven't eaten in a week, even if I ate just prior to getting into the pool.

My solution: Power or cliff bar in my swim bag, eat it in the car first thing - by the time I get home I'm not so ravenous...  

2007-04-21 8:45 PM
in reply to: #771522

User image

Expert
In limbo
tmwelshy - 2007-04-21 7:41 PM

Happens everytime I swim. Everytime I get out of the water after an hour or more and I feel like I haven't eaten in a week, even if I ate just prior to getting into the pool.

My solution: Power or cliff bar in my swim bag, eat it in the car first thing - by the time I get home I'm not so ravenous...  

I second this. Years ago when I used to swim in the mornings I'd come home afterwards and eat an enormous breakfast (and probably undo everything the swimming had done for me weightloss-wise). I found out by accident that keeping a small snack (cereal bar or something like that) in my bag to eat right afterwards takes away that initial eat everything in sight feeling and I am better able to stop and think about eating something good, rather than doing the binge thing.
2007-04-21 9:39 PM

User image

I know this feeling all to well.....

I made the mistake of going to Hooter's for all you can eat wings after a particuarly long swim work out once. Final count was 64 wings.

What I try to do now is drink a liter of water before eating after a swim workout to pre-fill the stomach a bit. Big salads and chicken breasts afterwards helpout as well as the salad is full of water too.
2007-04-21 9:45 PM

User image

Regular
Kirkland, WA
I'm definitely hungry after a swim, but I can't eat before the swim or I feel sick, so that could be why! I read somewhere that when you're cold your body wants to eat because processing the food generates heat. So running and biking make your body hot, therefore no food cravings, but swimming usually feels cold even after working out, so your body wants to eat. That same book recommended a hot shower or something after. I don't know how accurate all that is, but it seems to make sense. The hot shower doesn't work though, I'm still hungry!
2007-04-22 1:11 AM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
I'm always ravenous. I don't think it has anything to do with the water temperature, but simply the fact that swimmming uses almost all the muscles in your body!

2007-04-22 3:03 AM

Veteran
Swimming can take a lot out of you and using so many muscle groups you can burn of a lot of carbs. When you do this your cells are depleted of its major energy source (carbs) and your body starts to crave carbs, this is that heightened hunger that you mentioned. Just like when you are dehydrated and your body craves fluid you get real thirsty. You need to replace these burned carbs by taking a recovery drink or food of some sort soon after your workout. ( smoothie, chocolate milk, or any thing else high carb). A nutritionist at my gym said to try and take something in within 20 minutes and eat something else with carbs 2 hrs later because your body will still be looking to restore its depleted carbs. This is why someone can eat so much food that is basically carb free and keep wanting more (i.e. 64 wings), that must be some kind of record. Hope this helps.

Edited by Tri-a-betic 2007-04-22 3:10 AM
2007-04-22 6:59 AM

Toronto
Yeah, I second all of the comments made above. I think it is because you are working all muscle groups at a lower intensity. I believe lower intensity exercise induces hunger. I mean, who feels like eating after hammering out mile repeats on the track at mile-race-pace?

It sucks, really. I remember bingeing on two bagels with peanut butter afterwards. That's like 500 calories or more right there!

Cheers,
aK

http://arthurkwok.blogspot.com
2007-04-22 12:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fridley, MN, USA
If you're worried about weight loss you should drink alot of water after swimming. Drinking will reduce hunger pangs drastically 90% of the time.
2007-04-22 3:05 PM

User image

Master
West Jordan, UT

Found this in an article on another site:

"Researchers don't know exactly why this occurs, but they suspect that it's because the cooler temperature of the water causes your body to lose heat and the blood vessels in your skin to constrict. This prevents the release of certain hormones that suppress appetite during and soon after exercise, says Rudy Dressendorfer, PhD, an adjunct professor at the University of Alberta's Human Performance Laboratory in Edmonton.

One study conducted by Dressendorfer and his colleagues found that people who exercised in colder water consumed 44 percent more calories following their workout than those who expended the same amount of energy in warmer water. But you don't have to fall prey to after-swim hunger. Dressendorfer says that you can reduce it somewhat by taking a brisk 15-minute walk to warm up your body immediately after you get out of the pool."

I have found a soak in the hot tub or a few minutes in the sauna works too.   I don't really buy the theory about how it is a whole body workout so you burn more carbs.   I don't go nuts after a 90 minute hard bike ride, but a 30 minute swim will get my appetite going.  90 minutes on the bike burns at least 3 times the calories than the short swim.  Also your leg muscle are larger and require more energy to move, unlike your arms and shoulders.  

2007-04-25 7:34 PM

Unfortunatley, soaking in the hottub or the sauna does not work for me. I get really hungry after my swims in the pool, and it's heated. After my swim, I take a warm shower, then hit the sauna. It's about 200F in there. I think I will try eating a nutrition bar immediately after my workout with lots of water. Hopefully that will work.

2007-04-25 7:56 PM

User image

Expert
Haddam, CT
I also have the issue with heightened hunger after swimming.  And come to think of it, after running and biking too.  :  ) I'm ALWAYS hungry.  My coworkers laugh at the size of my lunch bag.  I make a concerted effort to eat a hearty breakfast and lunch, then snacks at 3 and 5, then dinner at 8 and another snack before bed.  Steady, portioned meals/snacks help my stomach feel even-keeled, my energy level very steady, and not feel (quite so) raveshed after working out.  Remember to hydrate throughout the day too.  Sometimes hunger pangs are your body telling you it needs some water. 
2007-04-25 8:52 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY
I second the hot tub solution. If I go in for even 5 minutes after a swim I can leave the Y without intense hunger pangs.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » heightened hunger after swimming Rss Feed