Playtri
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 60s
Overall Rank = 52/86 W
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/14
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:15 and out the door at 4:45 with family. I drank Instant Breakfast and ate a piece of bread. Picked up McDonald's pancakes for Alexa and a banana for me on the way. Arrived at transition area a few minutes after it opened at 5:30. Found my rack, which was close to the bike in/out this time, and set up. I almost got the end rack spot!
Event warmup:

Ran around tranisition for a bit, put wetsuit half on to cut the chill, and dunked myself in the water a few minutes before the start.
Swim
  • 15m 17s
  • 500 meters
  • 03m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

Course must have been longer than planned as all racers have longer than average times. Water seemed very choppy with all those swimmers. I started far right but seemed to drift to the left I was focusing on breathing to one side as instructed. I got caught in a lot of traffic. I rounded the first buoy beautifully and then almost missed the second into on-coming traffic. I had to go back to get it! It seemed like a long time on the last leg, but I tried to focus on finding someone to draft off of. The swim-exit was covered bleachers, but they weren't set very far into the water. A volunteer had to pull me out of the water because I could reach the bottom step.
What would you do differently?:

Swim straighter if I am going to focus on breathing on one side. Also, if I am going to start on the far right, I need to stay on the far right.
Transition 1
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

Had really wobbly legs after the marathon long run from the swim exit. Seemed really shaky putting socks and shoes on. Had trouble getting helmet clipped. Had to try 5-6 times.

Practice equipment change more.
Bike
  • 37m 36s
  • 10 miles
  • 15.96 mile/hr
Comments:

I started out strong and focused on both speed and cadence. I kept the speed about 16mph and cadence around 85 where I could. The hills did affect me, and it was hard to keep a steady cadence. I was concerned I was pushing too hard, but I felt as if I was getting passed a lot. It turns out, this was my worst event in my age group, and it usually my strongest. I don't have an explanation for that yet. A course at the venue in 2005 gave me 16.2 mph, so about the same. My bike computer registered an average 16.2mph this time, so I am not sure why the official times report a different average yet.

Drink more, stay in aerobars more. I wasn't able to stay in my aerobars as much as I wanted to because of the need for shifting and all the turns. I could do better on this with practice.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Pulled bike up too high to re-rack again. Threw hat on and ran while attaching racebelt this time. That was a good change. Gave me 4th fastest T2 time.

Lift bike lower.
Run
  • 31m 58s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt fairly wobbly for the first 3 minutes. My breathing was hard to begin with, so I was worried I wouldn't be able to keep the pace. My HR was in the 180s, so I felt I could sustain it. There were no mile markers, so it was hard to judge the pace. It felt about right, but I passed the 2 mile racer's turnaround point at a disappointing 11:30. I hit our turn-around at exactly 14:00, so I thought my pace was way-off. I picked up the pace and reached my puke point 100 yards from the finish. I ended up gagging as I finished. Probably not a great finish-shot. It turns out the finish was shy of the start, so those turn-arounds were not exactly half-way, so my pace was close to my personal best.

Hope for mile markers to judge pace better, drink at stations. More practice! Get a tri bike :-)
Post race
Warm down:

Trying not to puke. Drank lots of water and some Accelerade. Signed up for massage but never got called for it in time.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Power, stroke techinique, aerobar comfort

Event comments:

Almost no food for the athletes. I really felt like they skimped here. Just oranges and half-bananas.

Last updated: 2007-04-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:17 | 500 meters | 03m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/14
Overall: 52/86 W
Performance: Average
169 avg; 174 max
Suit: QR Quickjohn
Course: Swim was different than originally planned. It was out to the yellow buoy into the sun, turn at the green buoy and then a straight shot home.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Below average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:48
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:36 | 10 miles | 15.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/14
Overall: 57/86 W
179 avg; 190 max
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Fairly curvy course with 2 u-turns and several hard turns. Fair amount of rolling hills (for Dallas)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:58 | 03.11 miles | 10m 17s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/14
Overall: 63/86 W
181 avg; 193 max
Course: Out and back course with an uphill section right at the turn-around. Course was mostly on Las Colinas Blvd with 1 mile on a side street. Parts were shaded.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-04-21 9:32 PM

User image

Plano, TX
Subject: Playtri Sprint Triathlon

2007-04-21 9:46 PM
in reply to: #771552

User image

Extreme Veteran
DFW Metroplex
Subject: RE: Playtri Sprint Triathlon
Nice race well done.  Thanks for great report.
2007-04-22 8:12 AM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
great job

I think the swim times seem off because of the exit ramp. I hit my lap button when I got to the ramp, and seem to wait forever to find a spot to get out, plus I was afraid of pulling the volenteer in the water that was trying to help me since she was tiny. When I ran over the chip mat I hit my lap again to see how long I was there,, It was almost a minute & half.

great job though ,, that water was cold

gary
2007-04-22 9:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX

Great race!!  I agree with you about the long run out of the swim for T1.  I thought maybe they got the sequence messed up and we were on the run!    Great job!

2007-04-23 1:14 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Great race, sweetie!!  Way to push it right up to your limit.  We can always hope the the race photogs got a better shot of your finish than I did.
2007-04-23 1:48 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Great job on the race!

Congratulations!

Oh yea, exiting the water was hard! Thank goodness some strong guy pulled me out. Otherwise I would have been climbing out.

2007-04-23 8:07 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Great race! My husband and I did the oly on Sunday and getting out of the water after the swim was one of the toughest parts!
2007-04-24 5:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Nice race! Sounds like you had a very solid, smooth race! It was nice getting to meet you on Sunday!
2007-04-24 10:20 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Well if you would have blown chunks, you would not have been alone. Some guy did it about 30 yards from the finish. I agree about the swim exit. I had to give it an extra grunt to get up. Good race and it was nice to meet you on Sun.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Playtri Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed