General Discussion Race Reports! » Emerald Coast Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Emerald Coast Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Panama City, Florida
United States
Emerald Coast Events
70'sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 2s
Overall Rank = 15/128
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/9
Pre-race routine:

Protein drink 1.5 hours prior, SoBe 30' prior, Gu 10' prior. Took my beautiful female companion by Mickey D's for a breakfast biscuit.
Event warmup:

5' in the Gulf adjusting to the water and wetsuit. Not near enough.,
Swim
  • 11m 8s
  • 586 yards
  • 01m 53s / 100 yards
Comments:

Still getting used to the wetsuit. Got edged off course on the return and had to duck behind someone to get back on line. Pretty good draft on the top 1/2.
What would you do differently?:

?
Transition 1
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Forgot to put on my helmet until I started pulling my bike of the rack. Cost me a couple secs at most. Wetsuit off easy, breezy, apple cheesy, as my daughter would say. Don't see the big deal.

Not much, fastest in AG, by a significant margin, and one of quickest OA.
Bike
  • 40m 42s
  • 15 miles
  • 22.11 mile/hr
Comments:

First and last miles were on a lousy, rough section, otherwise nice surface. Winds from the east ~12 mph with some gusts, especially around high rises. Flew on the way out, eased up a bit on the way in fighting the wind. I was re-passed by a group of 4 riders just before the mid point. They may not have been violating the letter of the no drafting law, but certainly the spirit. Probably a net gain of 3 people. The closer you start to the front, the tougher your competitors on the bike. Had fun, just wish I had pushed harder. My avg HR was 5 beats < LT.

Pushed harder on the last 1/2 in order to keep up with the group ahead. Just b/c you don't see your age on their calves doesn't mean they aren't in your age group.
Transition 2
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

Nice, again fastest in AG

Zip
Run
  • 21m 19s
  • 3.25 miles
  • 06m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

Started the run with an unhappy tummy. Took a Gu near the end of the bike, but was out of Gatorade to wash it down with. Oops! A cup of water coming out of T2 helped after a couple of minutes. I knew I wouldn't be fast, with my knee injury and diminished run training. The plan was to just hold on and be passed by as few people as possible. Also thinking of the race in Mexico Beach next weekend. One guy went by prior to the turnaround and I was down to 12th overall, not in my AG, another at the 3/4 point, now 13th. Then with less than 1/8 mile to go 2 guys zipped right by. I was checking calves, still not in my AG, so I didn't kill myself. Knee started hurting at around 2.75 miles and I didn't want to stress anything. Still, I was too hesitant. Again, my avg HR was well below LT.

(Slight whine coming.) I ended up 2nd in my AG by 21 secs, and the guy that beat me had to pass me on the run, as looking at the results I came out of T2 over a minute in front of him. I never saw a calf pass me with my AG on it though. Still can't figure out who it was. I would have pushed much harder had I known. May well have still ended up 2nd, but "he" would have had to work a lot harder, I promise you that much.

Ego boost on the run when I got whistled at by some chicks driving by in a Toyota Forerunner. I've never had that happen before. [satire] That's me, hot Daddy! [/end satire] :)

Run harder d@*^!t! I need to just bust it all out one of these days and who cares if I crash! I'm probably capable of a bit more than I allow myself.
Post race
Warm down:

Two cups of water and Gatorade and hung out with my beautiful daughter down on the beach while we waited on food and the awards ceremony!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Knee injury leading to decreased run training. Apprehension on bike and run about flaring the injury up.

Event comments:

Second time I've done this race. Took about 4:20 off my time from last October, so that was nice.

Much better organized this time. Expensive for what you get, but it's awfully convenient geographically. I'll probably do it again, but only if there is nothing better on the calendar.

Last updated: 2007-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:08 | 586 yards | 01m 53s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 18/128
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra sleeveless
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:57
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:40:42 | 15 miles | 22.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 10/128
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out NW, back to SE on Front Beach Rd.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:19 | 03.25 miles | 06m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/9
Overall: 32/128
Performance: Below average
Avg HR 165, 6 beats <LT. Max 169.
Course: Out and back. Almost certain this course is measured short. I was running more like 7' miles by HR and perceived effort.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-04-21 9:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Dothan, Alabama
Subject: Emerald Coast Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Emerald Coast Sprint Triathlon Series - Race #1 Rss Feed