Playtri
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 18m 49s
Overall Rank = 105/288
Age Group = W 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/17
Pre-race routine:

Slept for 6ish hours and woke up at 5am. Toasted a trail mix bagel from Panera Bread and put peanut butter on it. Loaded car with all my stuff and left home at 5:35. Husband stopped at 7 11 to buy coffee for us that I drank on the way to Irving. Ate my bagel in the car too. Got to Irving at about 6:10 and got bike prepped in parking garage. Grabbed all my stuff and headed to the transition area. Ate a bannana after getting settled in transition and drank almost 32 ounces of Propel.
Event warmup:

Just walking around prior to the start of the swim.
Swim
  • 16m 36s
  • 547 yards
  • 03m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

HORRRRIBLE swim (if you can even call it swimming!)!!! My breath was totally sucked completely out of me when I jumped into that frigid water. Tried to swim after gun went off, but could not breath out with my face in the water. Felt like I was hyperventilating and was FREAKED OUT! Did the doggy paddle at first while gasping for air that the cold seemed to be sucking from my body. Finally settled on the backstroke and did the best I could under the circumstances. My backstroke is by no means straight, so I was all over the place. I did manage to pass a couple people doing this (actually I swam on top of them first because I could not see them back there). This was by far the worst possible swim I have ever done. Actually considered calling a kayak over at the beginning because I thought I was dying! Literally! Was sooooo glad when it was over. The thing we were supposed to climb out on was way too high up for me, so a guy had to lift me out of the water with both hands.
What would you do differently?:

Um, actually learn how to swim in cold, open water. I think it was the cold that freaked me out, not the lake. I've never actually done an open water swim before, so more practice outside of a nice, heated, safe pool would do me good. If all else fails, learn how to haul it on the backstroke!
Transition 1
  • 03m 34s
Comments:

After I could actually feel most parts of my body again, the transition really wasn't too bad. I kind of lost focus during the bad swim and really didn't have it back in T1. Wasn't trying to be in any particular hurry because I thought I had already blown it.

Try to get back on track faster and not dwell on the bad swim.
Bike
  • 30m 23s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.75 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt awesome on the bike. Felt like I was back in my element and pretty much blocked out the bad swim. Course was very crowded at first, so had to weave around lots of people before it thinned out a bit. People were riding all over the lanes, so had to pass some of them in the lane for cars. No women passed me on the bike, a few men did though. The U turns and some of the right hand turns were annoying since I'm too cautious to take them too fast or stay in the aerobars.

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Pretty good T2 time for me. This was only my 2nd triathlon, so I'm still working on transitions.

Can't think of anything really other than more practice.
Run
  • 26m 34s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Hard run for me. I could not catch my breath the WHOLE ENTIRE WAY! I wanted to walk sooooo bad, but didn't. I don't know what was up, but I was just gasping for air the whole time. Slowed down at the 3 mile point, which is where I was passed by the lady who got 3rd in my age group. I was pretty bummed about this. I should have just kept my pace up. Oh well, I guess it's a learning experience. I was actually doing good to keep the pace I did since I felt so crappy.

I have not been running too much lately because of a strained groin muscle. I'm in physical therapy 3 days a week to try to heal and strengthen it. I took enough Advil over the past few days to allow me to run pretty much pain free today. Although now it hurts. I think when I build my running base back up, I won't feel as bad running (i.e. not as much gasping for air!).
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Drank Accelerade and ate an orange slice.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Frigid water that I apparently could not function in even with a wetsuit, lack of running over past several weeks due to injury.

Event comments:

Good race overall. Lots of events going on, so the bike course was pretty crowded with all sorts of ability levels, so that made it hard to navigate on the bike.

Last updated: 2007-04-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:36 | 547 yards | 03m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 13/17
Overall: 222/288
Performance: Bad
Suit: QR Ultrajohn
Course: Swim towards middle of lake around bouys and then back to shore.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 03:34
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:30:23 | 10 miles | 19.75 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/17
Overall: 35/288
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Loop course with some rolling hills and 2 annoying U turns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:34 | 03.11 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/17
Overall: 141/288
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back with an uphill segment just before the turn around. Some shade.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-21 10:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Subject: Playtri Sprint Triathlon

2007-04-22 7:32 AM
in reply to: #771587

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Playtri Sprint Triathlon
Loved your RR. That cold water will take your breath away. Next time you have to race in cold water, make sure you get in before the race and swim around. It will help.
You COOKED on the bike! You did a great job with the whole tri, especially considering you were working with an injury.
Awesome job! Thanks for posting your RR!
2007-04-22 7:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
You kicked some butt, even if it was frozen from the swim.

Don't beat yourself up over your final finish place. A lot of variables factor into it, many of which are out of our hands. Just be thankful you are able to be out there enjoying being active and are willing to be active - that's 1000X better than 95+% of the world population. Considering this was only your third multi-sport event, you've started high and will only get better. Glad I'm not competing against you!

A little OWS training, work on the transitions, and improve your running form (or grow longer legs.....) and you'll really be haulin that well-chiseled caboose of yours.

Love- hubby23 (you left the race report page up on the computer so I couldn't resist.....)
2007-04-22 9:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX

Great job!  You had an excellent bike, especially considering how disappointed you were with your swim.  Way to block it out and push through it! 

2007-04-22 9:49 AM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
great job,,,

That cold water got to a lot of people,,, but you made up for it and had a great race

gary
2007-04-24 5:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Great job, Kelley!! You had a super bike and run time! Don't worry about the swim- everyone encounters some problems that they have to overcome during a race, and you did. You overcame it and turned it into a great race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Playtri Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed