Playtri
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 7s
Overall Rank = 193/288??
Age Group = Over 40 Clydes
Age Group Rank = 3/6
Pre-race routine:

Just did the usual bagel with peanut butter around 4:30 and some watered down gatoraid mix. Made sure I had everything in the car from the night before to include the map. No real issue's or problems
Event warmup:

Stood around making dumb jokes, met my rack mates, [short rack only 4 of us], met a few other BT'ers which was cool. It was a bit chilly in the morning so the running joke was the water will seem warm since the air temp was 55-60ish and the water was 68-70. We would later learn that is still cold water. Mostly I double checked my stuff,laying out. I felt bad since my regular gym bag didn't survive the washing machine this week and all I had was my H U G E hockey bag which could easily fit 2 or 3 bodies, and two bikes in, so I kept folding it up trying to make it as small as possible
Swim
  • 12m 18s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a really easy swim for me nerves wise and there wasn't nearly the choas that people led me to believe. To the first bouy there was a wall to the right so I just took off and sighted on that, I seemed to bump into a lot of people at first then got in a nice pace, then looked up and I was at the first bouy.

no problems swimming or sighting to the second bouy and passed some people. But after the the last bouy I noticed I was in with the Yellow caps, the group ahead of me, actualy I ran into a wall of 4-5 people just treading water and started worry that I got too excited and went out too fast. so I slowly went around them. Had some problem sighting coming back in, where I was really veering right [again using the lake wall as a sighting aid] So i just imagined a big bungee cord going from me to the dock pulling me in. Just keep repeating to myself reach- glide to swim smooth and would look up every 5 stroke to resight.

It was hard getting out of the water, big line from the earlier wave when I got there & the step was at least waist high for me and I'm 6'2". They had volunteers helping people out but the lady helping me was maybe 110lb and I was afraid I would pull her in so I struggle with the step more than I should have. It seemed to take me a minute or so just to get through the crowd at the exit ladder

Since this was my first tri though I really dont' have the info to base wheather this was a good swim for me or not. I didn't panic, passed a lot of people, didnt' wear myself out, and had fun
What would you do differently?:

Not much, maybe kick with my legs more at the end, ?? maybe thats why I had trouble with the exit ladder
Transition 1
  • 04m 52s
Comments:

I couldnt get the suit unziped it was either caught on my HR monitor strap or on the fabric, I literally had to have some one unzip it or I'd still be there. Maybe I was afraid of breaking or ripping it, but the guy that did it for me [after I struggled and he saw & helped] had a had time also.

After We got it unstuck, things went well, baby powder on my feet, socks on, shoes on, race number strap on, helmet on, slight jog to the mount line, Gave the nice volunteer a Lighting McQueen "Kchow"

double check the zipper before a few times
Bike
  • 38m 46s
  • 10 miles
  • 15.48 mile/hr
Comments:

I SUCK ON THE BIKE AND IT'S A RED BIKE!!!!! basically I just suck on the bike, I think my bike wants to go fast and since it's burdoned with me is rebelling on some level. I thought I saw a sign on it saying it wants a faster owner. did I mention that I just suck on a bike. I don't [yet] constistantly pedel effiently, when I do remember to go in a circle and not just press down I do ok, But I'm just slow. It's all on me, I just need more saddle time. But even my long training rides i average 15mph, it's like I only have one speed no matter what distance. I just took one bottle with me and drank it all, I was thristy when I finished

Start biking a couple of years ago, Install a DVD player since it takes me so long to finish at least I could catch up on some movies. take an extra water bottle
Transition 2
  • 02m
Comments:

no big deal here, I don't run well with my bike shoes on so it was a quick walk suffle. Had a Gu and the water I put out for myself. Shoes off quick, & I had my running shoes ready to go so I didn't need to tie them. I stopped just before the mat for some water and drank it. I was really thristy after the bike

not much maybe drink more on the bike so I wasn't wasting time drinking in tranistion, same with taking Gu on bike
Run
  • 29m 8s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

I think running is my strongest but not because of speed, since I don't have it, but the experience of doing a few marathons allows me to know when I'm running well or not. I wasn't sure how I'd do after biking but my legs while feeling weird didn't feel bad. so I just settled into the gary 10m/mile run forever pace and enjoyed the run.
I would look at my HR to make sure it wasn't too high,which I thought it was for the pace I was going. But then I already had an hour of activity before this, and I'm too new with the HR monitor so I went with RPE.

I didn't feel like I was going to hard or too easy. I really needed the water stops though, and dont run well while drinking it's more of a quick walk as I drink. After the last water stop I stretched out my stride more and starting passing a few people, but wasn't doing an all out effort. I was pumped up that I actually finished my first tri.

hydrate better on the bike so I didn't worry about water stations onthe run.

This was a nice run though.
Post race
Warm down:

Looking at cute girls, keep bringing my HR up, so I recognized ?jeepfleb? from BT and found some other BT'ers, to talk with. Found the BT'er that was on the same rack with and he showed me where the banannas and oranges were

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not a lot, maybe if I weighed 185lbs instead of 220 I'd be faster, but then I'd look sickly. I thought I was better trained than I am. so I have 5wks until my first OLy to make some changes and get better

Event comments:

Well I got the first one done. After thinking about it, listening to the others talk and looking at the times I'm really proud of my swim, not just the time but the whole swim. I didnt' get nervous, keep my stroke as smooth as it usually is for me, sighted ok.

Overall I had fun, learned alot, and can see where I need to improve, I went to the Expo saw a couple of people that recognized me from the Luke's tent.

Last updated: 2007-03-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:18 | 547 yards | 02m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/6
Overall: 70/288??
Performance: Good
Hey how did that distance default up there. oh well. Water was cold, I'm sooo glad I got a suit, I don't know how people did it without one. My HR jumped to 124 right after I got in.
Suit: Q-Roo Ultra-john [ No sleeves}
Course: Well it was in water. In water start with waves, Triangle set-up, This was a small lake with high concrete walls in Las Colinas, so it would be a good place for people to watch. I used the wall as a sighting aid and it worked great for the start to the 1st bouy.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:52
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:38:46 | 10 miles | 15.48 mile/hr
Overall: 220/288??
Performance: Bad
avg HR 148
Wind: Some
Course: An out & back course with a couple of u-turns, and hard Right /Left turns. some wind coming back in, but nothing that really had an effect on my time
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:29:08 | 03.11 miles | 09m 22s  min/mile
Overall: 195/288??
Performance: Average
Avg 154
Course: regular road in las colinas. out and back with the u-turn at the top of a small hill. there was some shade, water stop where the 2mile runners had their turnaround
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-22 8:16 AM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: Playtri Sprint Triathlon

2007-04-22 9:50 AM
in reply to: #771689

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Playtri Sprint Triathlon

Ha! I love your comments on the bike!  I struggled with that part too, so it's comforting to know that I wasn't alone.  Great job, though - glad the swim turned out well for you!

2007-04-22 10:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Great job on your first triathlon! Where are you doing your oly? 5 weeks makes it about Cap Tex, right? Anyway, I'm doing the sprint there.

Try to really think about pressing your heels down the whole revolution on the bike. It will help. Also, hill work will force you to pull up on the pedals and not just push down so hard. That may help increase your speed and save your legs more for the run.

Congratulations!
2007-04-22 3:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Congratulations!!!!!!!  I had so much fun reading your race report!  You are a TRIATHLETE!        
2007-04-22 4:23 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Good race.  Let me know if you ever get that DVD idea going.  Now that is ingenious!

Congrats.

2007-04-22 7:03 PM
in reply to: #771753

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Yes I'll be doing the Oly at Cap Tex.. Unless I switch to the Sprint at the expo.

I looks like a few DFW area people are going down there,, hope to meet some people and put more faces to names

2007-04-22 8:56 PM

User image

Congratulations. The first one is in the books. I'm hoping to do the sprint at Cap Tex so maybe I'll see you there.
2007-04-22 10:12 PM

User image

Champion
Frisco, TX
Great job Gary. Nice to meet you out there. Congrats on finishing your first tri!

Andy
2007-04-23 9:58 AM
in reply to: #772050

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Gaarryy - 2007-04-22 7:03 PM

Yes I'll be doing the Oly at Cap Tex.. Unless I switch to the Sprint at the expo.

I looks like a few DFW area people are going down there,, hope to meet some people and put more faces to names

Jbrashear and myself will be doing this too!

Gary, your bike issue is easily fixed... GET OUT AND RIDE... and ride with people who are faster than you are... and ride where you will get lost if they drop you. Trust me, as a man... you can improve your speed quickly and easily. It won't take much.

You are welcome to ride with me anytime. If you go with me and my cycling club, they will get you moving faster. Otherwise, I do try to do one brick a week out at WRL.

Looks like you had a great first tri and I hope to meet you at CapTex! Congratulations on becoming a triathlete!

2007-04-24 11:59 AM
in reply to: #772681

User image

Champion
the colony texas
thanks for the offer.. what bike club do you ride with??

I have gone out ot hillcrest/635 where it leads down to White rock to do a few laps and back, I'll post something in the texas board when I'm going to see if your or anyone else want's to meet up.

Gary
2007-04-24 3:36 PM

User image

Master
Keller Tx
Great job Gary!  Nice to meet you after your first race!

2007-04-24 5:05 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Nice job!  I didn't realize the lack of a red bike was my mistake   Keep up the great work and you'll be ready for your next race!  Congrats!
2007-04-25 11:19 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Since your name was splashed across your chest, you are the easiest BTer I have ever spotted during a race. It made it easy to cheer for you. Congrats on becoming a Triathlete and good luck on your Olympic.
2007-04-25 12:57 PM

Veteran
Aylmer, Qc
Great report! Being a race report junkie, I just loved reading yours.

And I can so relate to it! I am training for my first multisport later this summer (either tri or du) and enjoying the journey. After all, it's all about braggin' rights! I sure know that when I was 280 lbs with a BF% over 30 last July, becoming a recreational athlete was probably the last thing on my mind!
2007-04-25 8:06 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Great job getting out there and racing.  Sounds like you learned lots.  Keep at it and the improvements will continue to come. 

TJ

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Playtri Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed