playtri
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 26s
Overall Rank = 5/86 W
Age Group = 25-29W
Age Group Rank = 2/20
Pre-race routine:

Same as usual, except this time I didn't have my boyfriend there to carry all my crap - darn!! I got there unnecessarily early, got really nervous, saw a few friends, met up with KSH and JBrashear, had a panic attack when my goggles broke, and saw my friens/co-workers arrive. In all honesty, I completely thought that the race was going to be in the same location of Iron Girl and TX Man last year, so imagine my surprise when it wasn't. Ha! That'll teach me to at least look at the race materials beforehand. Oops.
Event warmup:

Well, as much as I really like swimming for my warmup, that wasn't going to happen seeing as the water was right around 68F. F that. I may be a swimmer, but I'm still a temperature pansy. So I went for a quick jog with my friend Mary and her friend who was doing her first ever triathlon. We ran along the path that lines the "lake." Decent warmup, I guess. The real warmup was when my goggles snapped as I was about to jump in the water. Awesome. Running to get another pair and the panic of being late were enough to shoot my heartrate to 160 for the start.
Swim
  • 08m 30s
  • 500 meters
  • 01m 42s / 100 meters
Comments:

Holy crap was this course hard to navigate - what with the sun directly in my eyes on the way out and the stand-in blue goggles as opposed to my preferred metallic ones... plus knowing that I'd have to chart my own path if I wanted to be out front. Luckily there was one other chick and I who battled it out pretty much the whole time. Although she was much more hardcore about it than me. She'd draft into me, kick me and claw me, and then keep thrashing around until she was ahead of me. Lady, fine... it just makes it easier for me to draft... whatever. Luckily there was a kyak that was helping us out by staying a few meters ahead of us so we'd have a nearby spot. Overall, it was a decent swim. Not too cold, but definitely chilly. Getting out of the water was another real treat. The BT'ers who chatted afterwards agreed - I think that some of the volunteers do more harm than good when they grope and yank as if they're trying to save drowning children.
What would you do differently?:

In retrospect, I can say that I'd try to beat the girl who was ahead of me in the swim, but honestly, I'm not sure I would. I was comfortable with my speed and (no) kick, and it was really nice to have someone to pace with, plus the added bonus of a closeby spot. So maybe I'd do nothing?
Transition 1
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

I got really spoiled with those wetsuit strippers in Galveston. Taking off your own wetsuit SUCKS. It came off alright, I guess, but it did get a little hung up on my heels. Overall, not bad. But what a run from the swim exit to transition. My feet stung from hitting the pavement so much.

I can say be faster at getting my wetsuit off I guess, but I'm not sure how I'd do that without sitting down or getting help (which would probably cost me more time than I'd gain being able to physically get the suit off faster).
Bike
  • 33m 6s
  • 10 miles
  • 18.13 mile/hr
Comments:

Going into this race, I made the decision to really try to hammer the bike since I know it's my weakest link right now. I figured the swim and run have been really strong in races past, so they'd be there for me regardless. My plan did not work. This bike course didn't like me, and I didn't like it. I threw somewhat of a mini-tantrum on the course because I didn't feel like I was going very fast, and I got negative and frustrated. I somewhat snapped out of it, but I'm sure that it affected my performance.

It's no secret that I desperately need to ride more and simply get stronger on the bike. I think that will solve my speed, confidence, and frustration issues. Plus, I feel like I owe it to my bike to be faster. I think she's getting embarrassed. :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

So I ran past my rack - awesome. I managed to somewhat save it, but oh well. I had to put socks on, which slowed me down. I have an existing blister in the exact spot that I usually get rubbed during tri running, so to avoid additional pain, I figured the :10 was worth it. I was right.

In the future, find my rack more accurately and probably not wear socks.
Run
  • 24m 32s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Talk about a negative attitude. I was absolutely huffing and puffing right out of the gate. Apparently tantrums were my thing that day, because I threw another one on the run. You know, the whole full of explitives "Why the F am I doing this? I hate this. This is stupid." thing? Then I got to the hill at the turnaround and lost it. I'm embarrassed to say that I walked up about 15 feet of the hill (feigning a side cramp to somehow make myself feel better about stopping) going through another round of explitive-filled negativity. What a brat I was being. I think during the whole run I just needed an attitude adjustment. Luckily I managed to pull out some better times and effort on the back half, which is likely the only reason my overall pace got salvaged. I made the mistake of letting my mind get the best of me and taking too much stock in what my watch was telling me. I also think I paid the price for pushing the bike a little harder than I'm used to. I see more bricks in my future.

Oh. I got told about this after I crossed the finish line. I apparently totally left the announcer guy hanging when he tried to give me a high-five when I was headed into the chute. THIS WASN'T INTENTIONAL!!!! I swear I thought he was telling me to put my race number to the front, so that's what I did! My friends laughed at me because I "denied" the guy. I felt so bad!!! I didn't mean to!!! :(

Do a better job of keeping myself positive and collected. Also, I definitely need more brick work to prepare myself for the craptastic leg feeling coming off a hard bike. I already have some workouts in mind.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around, talk to friends who came to cheer for me. Drink some Vitamin Water (I love that stuff!) and eat a banana and pita. Later, I got the chance to meet up with a bunch of BT'ers and chat - KSH, JBrashear, JeepFleeb, hosayif, dockshock1964. It was great putting real people with names, and we had good fun watching the kids' races.

I missed the announcement for where the awards were being given, so an hour and a half after the time they were supposed to start, I finally found out that they were being given in the hotel. Great. I went to the car to put all my stuff up only to find that one of my car tires was really getting low. So I decided to skip the awards in favor of getting my car to the nearest NTB for a look-see. Got to the tire place (after driving a good 12 miles on a low tire) for them to tell me that it'd be minimum of 1.5 hour wait. Call me crazy, but I had friends waiting for me for an event we had planned in the afternoon and I know full well how to put the donut on, so I left. I got home, put air in my tire to hopefully hold me over (it was at 20psi, when it should be 44psi - holy crap).

My real warm-down was in the form of participating in the Crawl for Cancer in the afternoon. Suffice to say it was held on lower Greenville and consisted of 9 teammates, 5 bars, 20 pitchers, and free pitchers from 4pm -8pm after the official crawl. This was a simply fantastic idea for post-race warmdown. The evening was topped off by a Taco Cabana glut. At the time, that meal was the best food I've ever eaten, and I inhaled it. The surprisingly great thing is, I feel great today. My shoulders are pretty sore from not warming up properly for my swim, but that's about it - thanks to continued hydration throughout the crawl (I took a few of the tiny Vitamin waters in my purse along with a Cliff bar, like the nerdy athlete I am). I'm sure that nutrition and hydration probably saved me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall lack of leg strength on the bike and somewhat on the run.

Event comments:

Overall a good race with TONS of events going on simultaneously. I was shocked at how well everything seemed to go given that there were so many events going on at once. The volunteers were great and lined the route pointing the way.

Last updated: 2006-12-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:30 | 500 meters | 01m 42s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/20
Overall: 2/86 W
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot sleeveless wetsuit
Course: Triangle course around buoys set up in "Lake" Carolyn.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:01
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:33:06 | 10 miles | 18.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/20
Overall: 14/86 W
Performance: Average
my heart rate was high - don't remember what
Wind: Some
Course: Modified out and back loop in Irving/Las Colinas. I saw a job I've surveyed out there, too! Ha!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:32 | 03.11 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/20
Overall: 11/86 W
Performance: Average
Course: Somewhat hilly out and back on the nearby Las Colinas roads.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-22 9:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
Subject: Playtri Sprint Triathlon

2007-04-22 9:46 AM
in reply to: #771712

User image

Champion
the colony texas
Subject: RE: Playtri Sprint Triathlon
Free Beer !!!!! I missed out on that.?? Oh well at least there was an open Bar at the wedding I had to go to after the event.

I think I met ya after the race.

But Great Job on the race... and yes having a run turnaround at the top of a hill is just evil

Gary
2007-04-22 11:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Great job!!! Do you offer swimming lessons? You're an awesome swimmer!

Congratulations on a great race, despite your 'tantrums'!

2007-04-22 3:55 PM

User image

Pro
Texas
Nicely done Ashley, you kicked a lot of peoples' yesterday.
2007-04-22 4:12 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Great race, and an even better warm-down!

Congrats on the hardware.

2007-04-22 7:45 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
OK, I wish I could have a horrible race and still place in my age group!

You are fast girl. What the heck are you thinking... "Oh I'm so slow". Look, let me have you race in my world... you will know what slow is .

Great seeing you. Sorry we all missed the awards!

2007-04-22 8:48 PM

User image

That's an impressive race. I'm not sure if I'm more jealous of your swim time, or you post race celebration.
2007-04-22 11:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas, TX
Nice race, I wish I could swim like you. Those kids were hard core.
2007-04-23 9:10 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

Great job, Ashley! I'm almost scared to see what you need to have a 'good' race, if what you call a 'bad' race still gets you hardware.  Sorry we didn't see you on Saturday.  That bike pace looks about the same as my friend's who won the 30-34 age group on Saturday, so I think it's better than you realize. 

2007-04-23 9:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
DFW Metroplex
Wow.  I wish I could race like that and feel like I could still do better.  I think you did awsome.  congratulations.
2007-04-23 6:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen
Great job Ashley!  Sorry I didn't get to meet you after the race.   Hope the K-Factor treated you well!

2007-04-24 5:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Congrats on the great race and on the hardware!! Someday maybe I will be able to swim and run that fast! At least, I can dream!
2007-04-24 10:34 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Such language from an innocent looking girl. Great job placing in your AG. I am sure if you add that Hawkeye Yellow, to your bike, it will go faster. Best warm-down in the history of RRs. It was great to meet you Sat.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Playtri Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed