General Discussion Race Reports! » HRCA Heritage/Adventure Run 5k/10k Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

HRCA Heritage/Adventure Run 5k/10k - Run10k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
United States
HRCA
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 49m 17s
Overall Rank = 9/123
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 5/39
Pre-race routine:

Up at 6:15 am, not sure why. Had a Clif bar, half an English muffin, and half a banana. Went out and ran errands then stopped by on the way home to register.
Event warmup:

Misjudged this a bit. Had to drive over (I intended on walking) as I was running late. Good thing I did as by the time I did a short warm up jog, they were getting ready to start the 10k.
Run
  • 49m 17s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt pretty good the whole way through. I started a little conservative knowing there was a big climb right away. Then on to the singletrack, which was a lot of fun. Took a sip of water as we came off the trail and then it was another big climb up Griggs Road. Short sip of water again and tried to get my stride opened up for the last few miles. Started running into the 5k racers and there was a bit of weaving here and there. Note to racers with dogs: keep the leash at no more than three feet and keep your dog off the trail. We split from the 5k group for our mile or so and it was back on concrete sidewalks. Felt some guy on my heels so I picked it up and dropped him. Good strong finish.

Course felt long and times reflected it. I think some of the mile markers were off, especially mile 5. I hit six miles at 7:45 pace but my 10k time was at 7:56 pace. And I didn't slow down. But this is the challenge of running a backcountry trail type race where it is difficult to get accurate distances. No big deal.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. Very little running from mid December to end of February because of a ton of snow and a back injury. So my only real goal for the race was to be under 8:00 miles, which would be great considering the gradient of the course.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk. Short cool down jog. Few glasses of Gatorade. Note to parents (and I'm one): jugs of Gatorade and water are for race participants. Got done and there were no cups to be found and jugs were getting low. Lots o kids drinking though...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

3 month layoff.

Event comments:

This race was a lot of fun and very challenging. I can't wait for Douglas County to get the East-West Regional Trail connected so they can do some longer races on these trails.

Last updated: 2007-04-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:49:17 | 06.2 miles | 07m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/39
Overall: 9/123
Performance: Good
Course: 90% on crushed gravel and backcountry singletrack type trails. Short section of sidewalk and concrete road. Two major hills. First from the start to about 0.6 miles. The second at about three miles and lasting over a half of mile. Rest all rollers.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-22 1:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Subject: HRCA Heritage/Adventure Run 5k/10k

2007-04-22 1:52 PM
in reply to: #771811

Champion
South Jersey
Subject: RE: HRCA Heritage/Adventure Run 5k/10k

Great race. Sounds like fun. I hope they get those trails connected for you soon .

Good luck with the rest of your season!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HRCA Heritage/Adventure Run 5k/10k Rss Feed