General Discussion Triathlon Talk » to nose plug or not to nose plug...that is the question Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-22 4:57 PM

Regular
Subject: to nose plug or not to nose plug...that is the question
I have my first tri (sprint) in two weeks--very excited and think I'm just about ready.

Here's my problem--when swimming lately I feel like I'm not getting enough air and am feeling a little panicky. I wear a nose clip/plug. I hate getting water in my nose for whatever reason--I've got a big enough issue with allergies and sinus junk without aggravating it with water up my nose/or maybe it activates my primal fear of water/drowning (shrug).

(background: just started swimming in January. couldn't go 25 yards w/o hugging side of pool. tried everything out there to improve my swimming and my mental attitude about my capabilities. such tools included Y swim coach soon exchanged for Total Immersion video and book, new better fitting-made for swimming/not figure flattering swimsuit, swim cap, ear plugs, leak proof goggles, and nose clip. all these tools have been absolutely essential. Now I can very slowly swim 1200 yards nonstop. Much room for improvement but now I can at least complete a tri. The nose plug, however, may not be essential anymore.)

I say that the problem is occurring lately--is this because I'm able to go a little faster or my latest bout with hay fever is the cause?? Don’t know--maybe I just don't remember it being a problem before because I was concentrating on so many things and the breathing issue just didn't stand out. Also, earlier on I couldn't swim 1000 yards nonstop. All this to point out that I don't know that the problem is the nose plug or not. While swimming today, and feeling a tad panicky with not inhaling enough air, I debated snatching the nose plug off and tossing it but thought the ICK of water in my nose might be just as likely to cause the mild panic I was experiencing to continue.

My question: Should I lose the nose plug? Is it like a crutch that has served its purpose and now it's time to go without? It seems silly that it could be holding me back but if I weren't wearing one, could I get a more air when I turn to breathe by breathing in both my mouth and nose--do we humans even do that?

Also, I have a survey question for you all. When swimming, do you breathe out (underwater of course) with your mouth or you nose? And do you breathe in air through your mouth or your nose? What is the most efficient way of breathing while swimming? Personal choice or "scientifically" proven manner one way or the other?? Enlighten me dear enlightened ones.

My other school of thought concerning this breathing panic issue is that it is all in my head--you know, I'm fine--I'm getting enough air--quit worrying about it--I'm not going to drown--my lungs are handling things just fine--let them do their job and quit obsessing! Mind over matter.

Edited by up4challenges 2007-04-22 5:06 PM

2007-04-22 5:06 PM
in reply to: #771942

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Subject: RE: to nose plug or not to nose plug...that is the question
I learned how to swim (other than lessons at the Y when I was 8) in 2003 for my first triathlon. I couldn't stand water in my nose and I couldn't get the breathing pattern down at first, so I tried noseplugs. I used them until last December (including my first Ironman), when I decided as I started training for IMAZ07 and I said "no more noseplugs"!

It was a big difference for me - it took a month to get used to it and two months to be as good as I was without it. I inhale with my mouth (above water, duh) and exhale with my nose (below water), as my coach says to do. That keeps my nose clear and enables me to grab enough air and to exhale at the proper rate.

Some people also exhale with their mouth, and I can but I don't see the need. I'll cough underwater if I need to (clear my throat, etc), and if I get water in my nose I'll "blow hard" through my nose.
2007-04-22 5:34 PM

Toronto
Don't forget that in a mass-swim starts, nose plugs are usually kicked right off your face by other uncaring swimmers. Try to get one that has a band that you can put around your neck/ears. Speedo makes some.

I'm not trying to scare you, but my first sprint tri.. I got my goggles, nose clip, and swimming cap kicked right off my face. It can happen! The goggles probably caused the swimming cap to be pulled off, because the force of the kick dislodged my goggles which were tucked under the swimming cap.. Anyway.

Yeah, get a noseclip with a band.
2007-04-22 5:37 PM

User image

Master
The swim/breathing panic is a tricky head game to get past, but you can always stop and tread water until you get yourself together. Many of us have spent time sidestroking and breast stroking for the same reason. Quite a few people will advise to breathe out through the nose, and like any other part of your swim technique, you'll need to focus on it a while before you're comfortable. You seem to view the plugs as a variety of 'training wheels.' Why not start working out without them, and start racing without when you start feeling confident with it?
2007-04-22 6:27 PM

User image

Elite
Shoot, I was sure this was a thread about farting.
2007-04-22 6:34 PM

User image

Elite
Chicago, IL
If you were Michael Phelps going for the gold... I'd say ditch the nose plug...

but since you're not, ( and sorry none of us are )... I'd say go with what you are comfortable with. That's just my .02... but at my old ripe age unless I'm Lance Armstrong or Michael Phelps or Paula Radcliffe... I usually go with what's comfortable and what works best to get me through the race happy and comfortable ... and of course, to and through the finish line

2007-04-22 8:08 PM

Regular
Thanks for your input--all of you.

I have decided that I will ditch the nose plug after my sprint triathlon in two weeks, not because I'm super competive and want to increase my speed, but because I want to be a better, more efficient swimmer getting the most out of my workout for personal health benefits. Panicky breathing can't be an efficient way to swim. Getting used to water in my nose shouldn't be that hard to do...it never bothered me as a kid spending all those hours in the pool/lake.

As far as the nose plug getting kicked off by another swimmer, I've already decided to wait for those ambitious ones to get out of the way and then I'll be a back-of-the-packer swimming in peace (hopefully, this is my first race so what do I know?) I'm not in it to win it, just finish. I'm not there to compete, just complete. Besides, if I'm BOP, there's fewer to see me huff and puff and possible push my bike up the first killer hill. (Not that I really care as long as it's not the bratty 10-year-old kid from the Y today who mocked my loud gasping intake of air every other stroke.)
2007-04-22 8:39 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Sounds like you have a good plan.  That's what I was going to suggest to you.  It will be a great benefit to you to learn not to use the nose plugs when you are swimming.  Hope everything works out well for you during your tri. 
2007-04-23 7:21 AM

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
What is your breathing pattern like when you are in your panicky mode?

This is going to sound counter intuitive, but here is what I figured out about myself. The more often I breath, the more "panicky" I feel. It seems like I'm getting less air. In reality, I'm getting loads of air, but my stroke is all messed up. When I breath frequently, every stroke or every other stroke, I drop my legs, and need to kick to keep the right plane. When I breath less frequently, I stay parallel to the water, and swim much more efficiently.

I figured this out by accident. I was really struggling to keep my air, and I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. I thought I just was in really cruddy shape. So, in order to figure out just how poor my lungs were, I tried to do 25 yard lengths with just two breaths. After just one length of the pool, I knew that I was onto something. I was exhaling too fast underwater, and not getting enough O2 out of the air in my lungs!

So, now I only take a couple breaths for each length. Sometimes when I'm getting really gassed, I might breath right, then again on my next right, then hold for several strokes before doing another "double breath". When I do this "double breath", I focus on really evacuating my lungs on the first breath, getting a little air back in, and then on the second breath taking a huge lung-full of air. Right or wrong, it works for me and it got me over my panicky breathing.

Might we worth a try.

As to your other questions: I exhale underwater through my nose. I have to keep positive pressure in my nose, otherwise, I'm panicking as the water goes up. I inhale through my mouth only. Controlling a slow exhale underwater seems to be very important for me to keep as much O2 as possible. Also, I have a goofy thing I do with my lips to help keep the water out. I sort of pooch my lips out like a kissy face, but I push them up a bit to block water from going into my nose. I know it sounds weird and I'll probably get labelled as the "kissy-face" guy, but it works for me and it helps me hold my breath longer.
2007-04-23 8:49 AM
in reply to: #772408

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
matt3liv - 2007-04-23 5:21 AM I was really struggling to keep my air, and I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. I thought I just was in really cruddy shape. So, in order to figure out just how poor my lungs were, I tried to do 25 yard lengths with just two breaths. After just one length of the pool, I knew that I was onto something. I was exhaling too fast underwater, and not getting enough O2 out of the air in my lungs!

Somewhere I read that you only use about 25% of the oxygen in the air you breath in - it's not that the air in your lungs has ran out of O2, it's that it's become poisoned with carbon dioxide. The panic feeling is caused by buildup of CO2 in your lungs, not lack of O2 per se.

Matt, it's clear from your description you were not "clearing your lungs". So your long steady exhale underwater is clearing your lungs of the CO2.

I am the exact opposite in terms of stroke count. At any speed at all, I breath every stroke on my right side. I make sure to almost continually exhale underwater through my nose to clear my lungs.

Only when I'm going quite slowly do I breath every 3rd stroke, alternate side.
2007-04-23 9:28 AM
in reply to: #772549

User image

Master
Fenton, MI
brucemorgan - 2007-04-23 9:49 AM

matt3liv - 2007-04-23 5:21 AM I was really struggling to keep my air, and I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. I thought I just was in really cruddy shape. So, in order to figure out just how poor my lungs were, I tried to do 25 yard lengths with just two breaths. After just one length of the pool, I knew that I was onto something. I was exhaling too fast underwater, and not getting enough O2 out of the air in my lungs!

Somewhere I read that you only use about 25% of the oxygen in the air you breath in - it's not that the air in your lungs has ran out of O2, it's that it's become poisoned with carbon dioxide. The panic feeling is caused by buildup of CO2 in your lungs, not lack of O2 per se.

Matt, it's clear from your description you were not "clearing your lungs". So your long steady exhale underwater is clearing your lungs of the CO2.

I am the exact opposite in terms of stroke count. At any speed at all, I breath every stroke on my right side. I make sure to almost continually exhale underwater through my nose to clear my lungs.

Only when I'm going quite slowly do I breath every 3rd stroke, alternate side.

Well, I think I'm ALWAYS in slow swimming mode.

I'm still getting the hang of it, and have developed a lot of technique over the last month or two. Now I'm working on endurance and starting to dabble with speed. When I am really trying to pick it up and do sprints, I am breathing every full or one and half strokes. I can see how my breathing rhythm will need to be adaptable to the speed and effort.

2007-04-23 11:32 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

I am a former nose plugger who dumped them several months back because I needed more oxygen intake and my teacher was relentless in getting me to drop them.  I take in a lot of water through my nose which makes me cough and sputter sometimes (nice look). 

I have got to ask about the breathing through your nose thing.  I feel like I get a fraction of the air out that way and am about to explode before I can take the next breath.  How do you guys get enough air out?

2007-04-23 2:41 PM
in reply to: #772856

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
When I'm breathing on each stroke, I almost continuously exhale through my nose, from the moment I rotate my head & mouth underwater, through the left stroke, then back until I rotate my mouth above water. That's how I exhale enough air out.

When I'm going slower and breathing on each side every third stroke, I tend to hold my breath a bit. If I exhale continously, I'll empty my lungs before I'm done.

I'm going to work to get faster while breathing every 3rd stroke bilaterially. I'm sure breathing is a key part of going faster.
2007-04-23 4:24 PM

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

Good luck on your first tri!!!!

Just to add, keep the noseplug for now.  Concentrate on removing the panic by cleansing with each breath while underwater, and breathing in deeply and slowly.

During the tri you have a good plan and you will probably not get hit.  I know many people get kicked and hit, but I never really have to the extent that stuff was flying off my face.  It happens, and I'm glad someone brought it up so you're ready if it does.  But, don't let it bother you.

You may panic during the tri.  I did my first few.  Take a good warmup so you're used to the "view".  As you're swimming get a song in your head or a mantra, like "I'm smokin' this course" over and over again to keep your mind from going into panic mode.   That helped me and hopefully it helps you.

2015-02-28 3:12 PM
in reply to: brucemorgan

User image

Vancouver, British Columbia
Yes but when inhaling the through your mouth, you inhale they your nose at the same time and that when the dreaded water goes into my nose and sinuses ..
2015-02-28 8:23 PM

User image

, North Carolina
2007. Hard to believe that was 8 years ago. I wonder if the OP ever made it happen.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » to nose plug or not to nose plug...that is the question Rss Feed