New York Triathlon Club
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 04m 23s
Overall Rank = 72/191
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 16/30
Pre-race routine:

Had a pb&j and some accellerade at home then rode to the site, to find a bike race going on. Turns out the Parks Department gave a permit to a bike race in the same place at the same time, so there were tons of roadies everywhere. I saw one guy walking around with plastic garbage bags tied to his feet so as not to muddy his cleats. Roadies are weird.
Had a gu about 5 minutes before the start.
Event warmup:

Rode to the race site (about 2 miles or so). Set up transition, and took a light jog on the road before the start.
Run
  • 15m 45s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out in a pack, which started to thin quickly. I didn't want to get sucked in to going out too fast, so I was trying to stay around an 8:00 or so. I think I did a good job. Didn't feel like I was getting passed by too many people.
What would you do differently?:

I really can't "feel" my own pace yet. I guess it's something that comes with experience. I have no idea how fast I'm running unless I look at my Garmin.
Transition 1
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

I forgot to push the "lap" button on my Garmin, so the first run, T1, and the bike leg were all combined. Oops.
Transition itself was pretty good. Still didn't do the shoes on the bike thing. Gotta learn how to do that.

Shoes on the bike
Bike
  • 31m 2s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.33 mile/hr
Comments:

No problems with the bike this time, and I had a good ride. Got up to 35mph a couple of times. I love going up the hill. I own it. It's not that terribly long or steep, but it's winding and you can't see the top until you get to it, so it's really demoralizing to people trying to slog up it. I passed tons of people. I love the sound of the guy you just passed feebly clanking through his gears in a futile effort to keep up with you. A couple people passed me on the downhills, only to have me pass them on the hill in the next loop.
I umm....kinda forgot how many laps I'd ridden. I spotted some woman that I knew had started just ahead of me, so when she headed to transition, I followed her. Had a gu and a bottle of accellerade on the bike.

I still get a little chicken in my aerobars when I'm on a big, fast downhill, and I prefer to ride in the drops. I need to get over it. Although it did come in handy when a horse trotted out in front of me, thanks to her oblivious rider, and I had to swerve around her.
Transition 2
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

Fine.

Shoes on the bike thing.
Run
  • 15m 43s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

The pack was pretty thin at this point. The woman I'd followed into T2 was about 50yds ahead of me, so she was the first target. I gradually closed on her, and made a push to pass her before we crested the hill. I picked out 3 or four more people to pass along the way and did, while getting passed by only 2 people that I can remember. As I got near the finish, there was a guy in a Google tri top. He was pretty far out in front, but seemed to be flagging, and I felt good, so I decided to see if I could run him down. I turned it on, and managed to pass him with about 100 feet to go to the finish. Ran through the finish (I think I remembered to smile this time.).

I think I finished in around 1:05, which is a little faster than my goal of 1:10.

Nothing, really. I wasn't "bend-over-and-dry-heave" exhausted. Does that mean I could have pushed harder? Maybe.
Post race
Warm down:

Had some Amino vital, some water, some oranges, and an active release massage, which rocked! I definitely think it helped me be able to play my softball game with no residual soreness.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just experience, I think. Maybe I got a lttle dehydrated on the second run, but I felt like I ran it welll.

Event comments:

A little disorganized--maybe not entirely their fault, but a well-run local race overall. At least one drink station on the run would have been nice. I think I'm a little spoiled by Lonestar, though. :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-04-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:15:45 | 02 miles | 07m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/30
Overall: 102/191
Performance: Good
Max HR was 178.
Course: Loop around the lake. One long incline, followed by a long downhill. No water stations on the course, but it was still cool enough that it didn't matter.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 01:09
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Bad
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:31:02 | 10 miles | 19.33 mile/hr
Overall: 67/191
Max HR was 179. Average was in the low 160's.
Wind: Little
Course: 3 loops of the park. One substantial winding hill, one long downhill. Roadies, families on bikes, joggers, rollerbladers, walkers, and horseback-riders EVERYWHERE. It was a friggin obstacle course at 20 mph.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:47
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:15:43 | 02 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Overall: 69/191
Course: Same course as the first run. Again, no water stations, and this time, I could have used one. Did fine, though.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-04-22 8:01 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: Brooklyn Duathlon - Prospect Park

2007-04-23 12:10 AM
in reply to: #772114

User image

A very cool place in Colorado :)
Subject: RE: Brooklyn Duathlon - Prospect Park

WEW-HOO!! Nice race today!

Oh, and uuuummmm... I am usually one of those people flailing with their gears going uphill -- but don't you worry, I'm also one of those who'll do just about anything to pass you back going DOOOOOOOWWWWWNNN!!!!!     lol

Way to work it and not hit a horse.   

2007-04-23 6:42 AM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

Well Giddyup!!!!  Great job yesterday.

2007-04-23 1:20 PM

User image

Expert

Nice race! Passing people is always so much fun, especially when they try to get you back. Good ole competition!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Brooklyn Duathlon - Prospect Park Rss Feed