General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Oxford, Ohio
United States
Miami University Student Foundation
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 1s
Overall Rank = 245/396
Age Group = 20-29 F
Age Group Rank = 16/36
Pre-race routine:

We had to stay in Cincinnati because there weren't any hotels in Oxford that weekend (lots of stuff going on at Miami). So we drove up from Cinci and got there around 7. Picked up packets and found space on a very crowded rack. It was hard to break off the rust of the summer and remind myself of how to get ready for a race. I was glad to have my favorite jock strap there.
Event warmup:

Unfortunately because I got there so late, there was no swim warm up for me, which I wish I would have had.
Swim
  • 07m 31s
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

OK, so no warmup, not good. But we stood in line according to number and then got 5 seconds to walk and jump in. This was the nicest, cleanest pool I've ever been in. For. Real.

Overall, I think I seeded myself pretty well, but man I hate these swims because other people DONT seed themselves well. I passed the guy ahead of me in the first 50m. Then the guy behind me was up my rear (and grabbed my ankle!). I hate when people draft off of me as well, so I kept speeding up, which threw off my breathing patterns/heart rate. I seriously hate people drafting me, and I refuse to cooperate with it.

What would you do differently?:

Learn to not be a spaz with other people...not have someone grab my ankle...

No idea where I am in my AG, not enough spare brain cells to figure it out. HUUUUGE AG though. Not used to that one.
Transition 1
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

um, so yea, someone crammed their stuff into my space, and it was a tight change because 3 people side by side were transitioning at the same time. The girl next to me was taking her sweet time. Rather than cleaning my feet off, I decided to be speedy and just get the damn shoes on and go, gravel and all.

Dry off. Clean feet off.
Bike
  • 49m 17s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 15.13 mile/hr
Comments:

Ooookaaayy, so there are some super fast downhills in this race, which was GREAT. But about halfway through I realized...oh F*ck, I have to go back UP them.

The road surface was really rough too, hard to find "good" pavement without being almost over the center line. Hard to pass people too because we were all trying to find the good legal pavement without being over the line. Saw lots of bad passing, lots of drafting, lots of pain pain pain.

About halfway through, I started singing..

"i'm bringing spandex back..."

and then I started to remember Welshy's IM report and "I'm f*cking Wahoo bitches, out of my way", and I giggled to myself. It got me through it.

GET MY BUTT ON THE BIKE MORE!
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

I'm coming on from the bike, and there's lots of people by the mount line, so I say.."ok, lets see if I can do this without falling on my face...eeh..ooo, ok ok ok! Annnnd we're good!" so moving dismount was good. ..the walking, was not. I almost fell on my face coming into transition because i slipped on my cleats. Graceful, really.

And then I see that my T2 area is ...well...not really the way I left it.

umm, sir, I'd appreciate it if you didn't set your FLOOR PUMP across my stuff...wait...where's my shoe?

umm umm umm!! Please don't break my googles ! aaaaaaahh!

Ok, so I finally get into my space, and it's more like a transition disaster area now...get my stuff laced up and on, number on the front, annnd we're good.

um, not be clumsy. not have peoples crap all over my stuff.
Run
  • 31m 11s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Soo, first mile was not so fun. My stomach was not so happy (hint: indian food and pizza in the same day is NOT a good idea). But it settled down after mile 1 and I got down to it. Lots of encouragement from bikers, lots of singing. I saw 2 guys who swim every morning during my shift during the race, and they gave me high fives! It made me smile. I felt AWESOME on this run, true story.

not a damn thing
Post race
Warm down:

yayyy finish! Got a cold towel and a water bottle from the girls at the finish, turned in my chip, found the fiance, put the bike away, and went to get a shower. It was nice to have a locker room to change into.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training
first race of the season
lack of being Wahoo.

Event comments:

After pineman last year, I was worried about doing another HFP race, but this one was great. Everything was on time, there was plenty of food, the volunteers were great too.

Last updated: 2007-04-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:31 | 437 yards | 01m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/36
Overall: 87/396
Performance: Below average
Suit: tri suit
Course: Serpentine pool swim indoors
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:16
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:49:17 | 12.43 miles | 15.13 mile/hr
Overall: 231/396
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: HILLY!!!! HILLY!!! HILLY!
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:11 | 03.11 miles | 10m 02s  min/mile
Overall: 340/396
Performance: Good
Course: out and back through campus (I think we actually ran an S through campus).
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-22 8:46 PM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Subject: Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon

2007-04-22 8:55 PM
in reply to: #772175

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon
The transition area situation sounds really frustrating.  I hate when people leave their stuff in your area and cause problems.  Good job on dealing with it.  Pool swims are always a challenge.  I think you had a good race despite the set backs. 
2007-04-23 8:48 AM

Extreme Veteran
IL
This was a fun race, no?  Great report, good job!
2007-04-23 11:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio

Great race and report!  Clean pools are the best!  Too bad T2 turned into a rummage sale.  Sounds like you had a really fun race.  Awesome!

Diane

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon Rss Feed