General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor trainer vs. exercise bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-04-22 10:12 PM

User image

Alpharetta, GA
Subject: Indoor trainer vs. exercise bike
I am about to do my first sprint tri next week and I am considering doing a bridge to an Olympic in Sept. However, after reviewing training plans I am worried about fitting in the long bike rides. I always have my kids with me so I need to work out very early morning or at night. I am a little nervous about road riding on weekday mornings (because of horrible traffic) so that only leaves weekend mornings to ride on the road.

I already own an upright stationery bike. Do you think it is possible to train the bike on this? I have also considered getting an indoor trainer for my road bike, but I'd rather not spend the money if I don't really need to.

Can anyone lend advice about the pros and cons of these different types of equipment? It feels so different to me when I'm on the upright stationary bike as opposed to the ones used in my spin classes and riding on the road.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!!

2007-04-23 6:42 AM
in reply to: #772261

User image

Expert
Sarnia, Ontario
Subject: RE: Indoor trainer vs. exercise bike

The theory is that by using an indoor trainer you are riding your own bike, in what should be the proper position.  This should ensure you are using your muscles very similarly to how you would use them on the road.   The excersize bike, provided it fits you well, will certainly not hurt your training, but may use muscle groups differently, and I doubt would ever be quite as good as riding your own bike.

Substituting the excersize bike for some rides shouldn't hurt that much.  I wouldn't want to do all my training on one though.

2007-04-23 6:36 PM
in reply to: #772261

User image

Expert
oregon ave,

I agree.  Once and a while is OK.  But if you really want to train, you'll want a trainer.  Being on your bike and in a different position really does make a difference in which muscles are being used.

Now you'll need to decide which kind to get.......

2007-04-23 6:57 PM
in reply to: #773623

Champion
South Jersey
If you can swing it, get a trainer. Heck, if you're the only one that uses the stationary bike, I'd recommend selling it and use that money towards a trainer. Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Indoor trainer vs. exercise bike Rss Feed