Playtri Festival
77F / 25C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 27m 29s
Overall Rank = 36/152
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 8/19
Pre-race routine:

Quite the crazy morning. Woke up an hour late! Don't remember the alarm at all. Shave, sunscreen, oatmeal and peanut butter bread, then out the door. Bike almost came off the rack during the drive, and I missed my turn. But.. eventually made it there and got set up in transition. (Freakin' second to last rack, too.)

Decided to go with two packets (~4 scoops) of Perpetuem in the bottle. Note to self: powder takes up a decent amount of space, pour some water out first. Duh. Taped two gels to top tube.
Event warmup:

Nothing other than talk with John and Aaron a bit just before the pre-race mtg.
Swim
  • 36m 22s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

Felt better than I expected, and navigation was better than average. Wave starts were too close together, which made for a pretty congested course. I definitely was swum over, next to, and bumped more than in any other race I can remember. Drafting was ok - I didn't hang on anybody too long; however, I did pretty well grabbing some passing feet a couple times. Wetsuit strippers were a nice touch.
What would you do differently?:

Just need to keep working on technique. Swim continues to be my weakest event, compared to the rest of the field.
Transition 1
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

Decided to do something different today. Skipped (intentionally) socks on the bike. I'm used to riding without them, and I wanted to use thicker (and dry) socks for the run. Serious debated leaving shoes on pedals. I've practiced getting into them a bit on the trainer, but only a little. Decided that, becuase I was at the far end of transition I didn't want to run the full length barefoot. So I went ahead and put on shoes at my rack and then just ran in my cleats. (I'm pretty comfortable doing that, so no problem.) Didn't do a leaping mount onto the bike. Decided it wasn't worth the extra risk for 2 seconds in a HIM.
Because I was at the far end of transition, I was a little
Racks were a little high, and I had just a

Practice shoes mounted on pedals.
Bike
  • 2h 51m 11s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.63 mile/hr
Comments:

I'm really pleased with how well this portion of the event went, especially given that I hadn't really practiced HIM nutrition. Felt pretty comfortable on the first loop. Definitely felt I was slowing a little in later loops, but times weren't too much slower. Actually, was surprised that HR was pretty low, especially given that I was getting more tired. Stayed aero the entire loop and was more comfortable than I expected for that long a ride. The wind definitly hit me occasionally.

John (jcagg90) was only a smidge behind me, so we saw each other after each turnaround.

New disk wheel cover worked out great. (Although I forget to cover the valve cutout.) There were a handful of occasions where I could really feel the gusts pushing me; however, I don't think I felt it anymore than all the times I've ridden without a cover in similar conditions. How much did it help? It's really hard to say. I would like to have been a little higher in the age group splits for the bike, but seeing how I was on a new course, gusty winds, and doing a harder distance (and competing with folks training up for IM distance), it's hard to answer this question definitively. I certainly didn't feel that it hurt, and yeah, it may have helped.

For excitement.. first wreck on the new bike! Coming into the turnaround at the end of the first loop, I was moving my hands from my watch to the bars when the person ahead of me cut the corner short. I swerved to avoid and ended up in the cones right in front of the entire crowd. Fortunately, it was just minor scraps on my hands, and I'll probably have a bruised hip. Got up, grabbed bottle and computer, remounted and was off again. The collective gasp and then applause was actually inspiring. (Good news -- bike is not just fine.)

Nutrition was good. I definitely drink more with the aerobottle, which it probably good. Probably should have don't a few more enduralyes.

Of course, with plenty of hydration comes another new thing: peeing on the bike. Tried this for the first time and learned that it's not very easy to do while pedaling. Hated to coast and lose speed, but it was definitely a welcome relief. (Note to self: wash shoes.)

Don't be so concerned with watch splits. Need to be better set coming into the tighter turn. Don't tape the top of Carb-Boom gels to tube. (They rip open too easily, so I had an open gel in my pocket the entire race.) Remember to cover the valve cutout.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Because dismount was immediately after a turn, there wasn't good room for a flying dismount. But I did alright.

A little problem racking bike initially. Had to turn around and rack by seat. Later realized thay the aerobottle was getting in the way. Duh!

Normally already have socks on, but wasn't much problem getting them on before shoes this time. Put hat and race number on once already on the move.

Not much, except the bike racking.
Run
  • 1h 56m 15s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

The run is where things really changed for me. First loop was good. A little fast for first mile, but it fell in line after that. After the turnaround, I Got lucky with someone who was running just a smidge faster than me caught up. I was able to draft behind him into the wind for about a mile. Only took water on first loop. I was holding a nice pace, and a 5:30 race time was conceivable. (talk about something I hadn't envisioned!) Got cheers and jeers from Marcie (DodgersMom), Steve (Doughboy) and John (jcaggs90) at the turnaround, which was inspiring. Also saw Tommy (zia_cyclist) and Kirk (MarkQuiet) out on the course.

But I really started struggling on the second loop. It was not good. It wasn't my lungs - my HR was up a little but not out of zone for my longer training runs - I was just really struggling to keep the legs going. I walked all the aid stations, and also started trying other nutrition. Not too much, but a few swigs of: Gatorade Endurance, Accelerade, a Carb-Boom gel, and even some flat coke. After the turnaround, I also started walking parts between aid station. Got the volunteers to break out the ice, since I've found that helps me a lot. (Put it in the hat for great cooling; can also suck on it.)

By the last aid station, I really thought a 5:30 finish, which seemed quite doable during the first loop, was in jeopardy. If I ran the same pace as from the previous aid station, it was going to be cutting it very close. The pace splits tell the story - lap 1: 8:06/mi, lap 2: 9:39/mi. Fortunately, I managed to suck it up and get through the last mile with less walking. Rounding the bend with the finish in sight, I knew I could do it. There was no kick, but it was a steady effort that last bit to the end.

Beth had even driven back out to the race site to cheer me on. Along with shouts from BT friends, it made for a great finish!. (And for the record, I blew that kiss to my daughter, not to you, John.)

I need to figure out what happened on the second loop. Was it a nutrition thing? Do I just need more volume in my training plan, or harder bricks?
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed water and a cup of Accelerade, then found family and BT friends. Rested on grass and stretched a little, but got twinges of bad cramps, so I headed to the massage table. The massage hurt, but I was glad I did it. Grabbed oranges and bagel. Hung around, cheered, and chatted with other BTers.

My bike was the last one on my rack when I packed up. Someone left a nice helmet, so I turned it in to lost and found. Looks like someone walked off with my new goggles, though.

Spent the afternoon cleaning up and playing with the kids. Later, a good rubdown with The Stick seemed to help work out some knots in the legs. Dinner was a hearty treat of fajitas and margaritas. Mmmmmm.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

If the second run loop was a nutrition problem, I need to figure that out. Otherwise, I was thrilled with how my first HIM turned out!

Event comments:

My first HIM!!
Until the day before the race, I was going to be doing the Playtri Olympic. However, after learning my target first HIM (in July) was getting canceled, I managed a last-minute switch to the Playtri HIM. I was a little nervous, since I wasn't quite sure I was prepared for this race; however, it turned out wonderfully. I had a great race!

As to the event itself -- pretty good venue. Bike course would have been a little easy, if not for the wind. Run course was pleasant. Expo was decent. Aid stations were decently stocked, and volunteers did great. Post-race food and/or activities were a little sparse. Short on some amenities like trash cans. A good event; hopefully they'll continue to improve.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-04-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:22 | 1931 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 10/19
Overall: 72/152
Performance: Average
HRavg: 139 HRmax: 148
Suit: ProMotion Fluid Drive Sleeveless
Course: Out and back in lake Caroline. A bit chilly, but not too bad. Wetsuit strippers were a nice touch.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:17
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:51:11 | 56 miles | 19.63 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/19
Overall: 36/152
Performance: Good
Lap 1: 55:46 HRavg: 139 HRmax: 150 Lap 2: 57:04 HRavg: 132 HRmax: 157 Lap 3: 58:09 HRavg: 130 HRmax: 143
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Rolling hills (well, for Dallas). South winds were 16mph and gusty. Outbound tended more to tailwinds; return tended more to headwinds. Great traffic contol. One aid station around halfway out, passed in both directions. Plenty of volunteers.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Below average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:56:15 | 13.1 miles | 08m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/19
Overall: 49/152
Performance: Below average
Lap 1: 0:53:05 8:06/mi HRavg: 153 HRmax: 161 Lap 2: 1:03:10 9:39/mi
Course: Out and back. Two loops. First and last mile of each loop was on roads (partially shaded) and middle 4 were along nice concrete running trail. Decent shade; pretty flat. Aid stations at each mile.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %3
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-04-23 12:03 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Subject: Playtri Half Ironman

2007-04-23 1:03 AM
in reply to: #772324

User image

Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: RE: Playtri Half Ironman

Super effort!!!

That's an unbelievable effort to step up to the HIM like you did.

Congratulations Ironman!!!

2007-04-23 8:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
Wow - awesome first HIM!!!!!  You had a really impressive race for it being your first one of that distance.  I've got hope for mine, now!  Sorry to hear about the bike incident, but I'm glad that everyone (including your bike) came out of it ok.  Great race!!
2007-04-23 10:09 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Great job! My husband and I did the oly and did meet quite a few other BT folks but missed the HIM folks as we were heading out to our daughter's soccer game. Maybe we will meet up in the future. Switching to a HIM on short notice is gutsy, good for you for going for it and finishing strong.
2007-04-23 11:49 AM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
You're incredible.  Switching to the HIM in a moment's notice!  Congrats on a great race.
2007-04-23 12:56 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Great race! Especially considering you didn't plan on doing a HIM until the night before.

It was windy yesterday! Jcbolten and I rode for about 20 miles and the headwind was a killer at times.

Congratulations on your first HIM! You did a terrific job!

2007-04-23 10:14 PM

New user

Katy, TX
Great job!!!!!!! I can't believe you switched to a HIM right before the race, but WELL DONE!! Congrats!!!!
2007-04-24 12:05 AM

User image

Elite
Lakewood, CO

Congrats on a great race - Hope the bike is okay, couldn't quite tell from the write up.

2007-04-24 9:04 AM
in reply to: #773965

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

jcjsc00 - 2007-04-24 12:05 AM Congrats on a great race - Hope the bike is okay, couldn't quite tell from the write up.

Yep, bike is just fine.  The contact points of the fall were basically my hip, my hands, and my left cycling shoe.  It was slow enough (and I was braking) that running into the cones effectively stopped the forward motion and the bike didn't slide on the pavement.  I looked hard, but can't even tell that it happened.  Needless to say, I'm relieved.

2007-04-24 11:44 AM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Sheesh, not bad for a spur of the moment race!
2007-04-24 4:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Congrats on the super race! It was great meeting you!

2007-04-25 1:40 PM

User image

Dallas, TX

very nice race, specially for your first 1/2 - very impressive.

and, if you figure the run thing out, let me know too, not everyone else, just me! 

2007-04-25 4:21 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

Congratulations!  Great race. 

FWIW...I felt the same way on the run.  Engine was OK but legs wouldn't go.  I think it's a durability issue that improves with more run training distances at or exceeding the race distance.  My longest run this year (before Playtri) was 9.5 miles.  At 10 miles my legs were dead.

TJ

2007-04-26 8:48 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Just an awesome performance considering the last minute change to the 1/2 IM. Not many people would have been ballsy enough to do that. Present company included. It was great to meet you and the family. Your son is a cutie.
2007-04-26 11:08 AM

User image

Elite
Texas
Dave you're an animal man! Nice job all around!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Playtri Half Ironman Rss Feed