General Discussion Race Reports! » Shakespeare's Pizza MaxTrax Duathlon (Short) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Shakespeare's Pizza MaxTrax Duathlon (Short) - DuathlonStandard

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Columbia, Missouri
United States
UltraMax Events
70?F / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 47m 8s
Overall Rank = 10/128
Age Group = Men 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/13
Pre-race routine:

I got up and ate a couple of waffles. Drank some water and gathered up everything to go. I got to the event, got my body markings and went to the bathroom. Nothing really special, just tried to keep calm and go through things in my head as I set up transition.
Event warmup:

I went for a short jog and ride and stretched alot. My muscles have seemed tight that last few days so I stretched really well.
Run
  • 10m 12s
  • 1.5 miles
  • 06m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

I think it went pretty well. This is the fast recorded speed that I have ever ran, so I am pretty happy about it!!!! I didnt know my body would carry me for under a 7 minute mile. When I finished, I felt good, but a little weird because i had never run that fast. I was hoping i would blow up later
What would you do differently?:

I dont think I would do anything differently. I just need to train more and get faster. I did pretty well for where I am right now.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

The timing system malfuctioned here so the transition time is included into the bike time. I dont think I was there for even a minute, but who really knows. I got some yanks laces for my shoes and that seemed to help alot. I was also positioned close to the bike out door so I didnt have to run in my road cleats very far

I probably should have worked on getting into shoes while they were on the bike. I didnt have time.. Maybe I will work on that before my first triathlon
Bike
  • 24m 32s
  • 7.5 miles
  • 18.34 mile/hr
Comments:

The T1 time is included into the bike time. So the pace is not accurate. I think i had 19.4 avg pace when I looked at my computer after the race, but that includes running my bike in the transition area too. I also had adjusted the saddle angle on friday and i guess i didnt tighten it down well, because the first time I spun in the seat, I almost fell off the back of the bike because the saddle tilted back.

Live and learn, next time I will check the saddle before the race.
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

Since I was close to the bike out door, I was not close at all to the bike in door. So i decided, while riding, that I was going to pull out of my bike shoes before transition and run sock-footed through transition. Well, the problem was that there was a hill to get up into the transition area, so I couldnt start this process until i got to the top of the hill. I got 1 foot out before i hit the dismount line. Then had to stop completely and take my other foot out of the shoe. That was annoying. I also almost started running with my helmet still on. I ran about 3 steps away from my bike and realized my helmet was still on.

I need to work on transitions. It will get better over time. This is still just my 2nd race ever
Run
  • 11m 10s
  • 1.5 miles
  • 07m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt pretty good overall. I started running and I felt a little wobbly at first. At about a 1/4 mile in, I felt fine. I knew I wasnt going as fast as before, but I was comfortable and passing a few people.

I probably could have pushed a little harder. I still dont know exactly where my blow up point is. I will certainly explore that at my next event
Post race
Warm down:

I stretch a bit. Walked around. Ate some pizza and fruit (and a beer)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to work on transitions more. I think that would help me get an overall better time. I may have been able to get a better overall placement with better transitions

Event comments:

Overall i thought it was a good race. I was alittle annoyed that I didnt have accurate split times, but things happen. Post race activities/ refreshments were good.

Last updated: 2007-04-23 12:00 AM
Running
00:10:12 | 01.5 miles | 06m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/13
Overall: 14/128
Performance: Good
Course: It was rolling hills through a park (a little grass, some hard packed gravel, but mostly concrete. there was one really long hill at the very end of the run course
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Below average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
00:24:32 | 07.5 miles | 18.34 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 9/128
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: It was rolling hills. Nothing terrible. There was a bit of wind out there. I just tried to stay in aero position and spin up all hills
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:11:10 | 01.5 miles | 07m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/13
Overall: 13/128
Performance: Average
Course: same course as before
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-23 9:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Columbia, MO
Subject: Shakespeare's Pizza MaxTrax Duathlon (Short)

2007-04-23 9:57 AM
in reply to: #772580

User image

Expert
Columbia, MO
Subject: RE: Shakespeare's Pizza MaxTrax Duathlon (Short)
Nice race, that headwind on the bike was BRUTAL!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Shakespeare's Pizza MaxTrax Duathlon (Short) Rss Feed