Rockland Road Runners
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 53m 31s
Overall Rank = 82/257
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 19/47
Pre-race routine:

Tried honey w/ my PB and bagel and liked it. Love a local race as I was able to leave my house at 7:45 for an 8:30 start. Met Matt (MForger) as I pulled into the parking lot. He introduced me to Rob (RMaldnado). Always nice to meet other BT'ers
Event warmup:

The National Anthem was about it
Run
  • 1h 53m
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Wore long sleeve wicker and that was a mistake. Did wear my FB w/ two 8 oz bottles of Gatorade and got my water from the course. That worked out well.

Matt and I ran the first 4 flat miles together in 32 minutes. HR was a little high (168 ish) but I felt pretty good. It's great running w/ someone and the first 4 went quick. As we hit the rollers Matt decided to back off a little. I thot I wud too but managed to slow just a little. I maintained a good pace but couldn't get my HR to Zone 2 and I knew I wouldn't hold this pace the entire time.

Mile 6 is down the Hook and man, it is steep. I prolly fought it too much as the group I was w/ pulled away. Just cudn't get comfortable so I erred on the side of caution. The next mile and a half is along the Hudson River and is just beautiful and my favorite part of the run. Once my quads mellowed out I settled in. BUT, at the turnaround, at mile 7.5, there is another serious hill and it took a lot out of me.

Saw Matt going up it and he looked better than I felt. Still, I was able to enjoy the 1.5 back to the Hook. Rob saw me on the way back but I was already feeling the hill effects so barely muttered a retun hello. Managed to run the first part of the Hook to the plataeu but as I was chugging up the steepest part I decided to walk. A guy next to me said "I can walk just as fast as this." I agreed, and we walked together, prolly 200 yds. Last year I ran up the whole thing and imploded soon after and I wasn't gonna make that mistake again. Started to run before the top (yeah, there are spectators there). My walk/run strategy seemed to work as I passed two women who passed me going up. That friggin hill (uh, Mountain!) takes it out of you tho. My legs started to tighten and those last 3 miles are a battle for me. All of a sudden the rollers seem to turn into long uphills. Those two ladies passed me back and I coudn't keep up with them as I just cudn't get into the zone. Pretty much 1 foot in front of the other at this point, fighting the walk deamons. I felt some hammi cramps coming on and my pace slowed but I didn't want to risk a complete breakdown so I resisted the urge to pick it back up.

I was playing cat and mouse w/ another guy though. We were neck and neck and at the last 100 yards I releaized I had a little left in me so I decided to sprint it in. As I pulled along side him, he out kicked me (like bad). That was cool though as it made the finish fun. He thanked me after for pushing him and I told him I enjoyed it as well.

What would you do differently?:

wear short sleeves and out kick the guy at the end :) He's got 9 years on me so I don't feel so bad!!!
Post race
Warm down:

some light stretching and hanging w/ Matt but I had some family stuff to get on home to,

What limited your ability to perform faster:

uh, the Mountain!

Event comments:

Weak post race amenties and really weak T-shirt. Rockland Road Runners usually does a better job but the money goes to the local Hospice so hopefully that is where it all went. I don't really care about swag for a local run.

A great early season race. Given my early winter injuries I'm real happy w/ my effort and results. I was a little faster than last year and it's a tougher course than Timberman so that bodes well. I like doing challenging stuff, maybe one day I'll run a flat course and try to break 1:50 but, really who cares. This will be great prep for Harriman, which I know wb tough. And, it's all about the journey to Timberman II.

Last updated: 2007-04-02 12:00 AM
Running
01:53:00 | 13.1 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 19/47
Overall: 82/257
Performance: Good
Course: It aint called Hook MOUNTAIN for nothin!
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-04-23 11:05 AM

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Subject: Hook Mountian Half-Marathon

2007-04-23 1:12 PM
in reply to: #772807

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Hook Mountian Half-Marathon

Great race Mark!  Not far off your PR if I'm not mistaken and not on some cream-puff course either.

Lookin' forward to seeing you at Harriman next month.  And can't wait to see what kind of race you'll be ready to put down at Timberman later this summer.

2007-04-24 9:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Jersey
Nice race Mark, way to go!
2007-04-24 3:10 PM

Master
Brooklyn, NY
Mark,

Great job at no imploding and holding steady. Glad you're doing better after past/recent injuries. Way to go man.

2007-04-25 1:53 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
Very nice effort Rollin, you did the right things in the race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hook Mountian Half-Marathon Rss Feed