United States
Playtri
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 43m 55s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 7/17
Pre-race routine:

Raegan and I went to the pasta dinner on Sat. night. We got to meet and sit with Doug (dblack), Jill (texmom), and Kirk (MarkQuiet). It was great talking with them. After dinner we all took a walk around to figure out the swim course. Finished getting our gear ready after we got home and loaded up the car before we went to bed so that we wouldn't have anything to do in the morning. After waking up at about 4:45am, I ate a bagel,banana, oj, coffee, and water. Got to the race site at about 6:20am snd started setting up my transition. Also, the night before I wrote my goal times on my wrist as a motivator.
Event warmup:

Warmup? I was actually planned on doing one, but standing in line for the porta potties ate up my time! So, no warmup. I usually warmup with a run and a swim. I'm sure it affected my race at least a little not doing one. All of my best races have followed a good warmup.
Swim
  • 34m 31s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 18s / 100 meters
Comments:

Overall, it was a good swim. I came in under my projected goal time for the swim. I 'm sure I could have improved my time had I not swam so far out from the bouys and hugged them a little more. Also, I did really well not letting other people knocking me bother me. I actually held my space better than I have in the past. I did have one moment when some of the guys caught up to me, when I started to get a little anxious. But, I just flipped on my back for a few seconds, caught my breath, and decided that I needed to think of them as just another woman :) and hold my ground. So, I flipped back over and nudged back when I got nudged. No problems! I actually could have pushed harder in the swim, but I just wanted to keep it at a nice and steady pace with controlled breathing. I really do enjoy swimming in open water once I find my space and rhythm. I rather like not having anything to look at when my head is in the water- it's kind-of comforting. Maybe it's because I grew up swimming in lakes and have lots of good memories of those times.
What would you do differently?:

I would probably start myself a little more toward the front in a wade start like this, because the hardest part was at the beginning trying to navigate through everyone to get my space. Running starts I'll still stay more to the back, because you're more likely to get trampled in those starts if your not the fastest swimmers. I also need to try to do my usual bilat breathing, because I found that I went back to my old every right stroke breathing. One more thing, swim closer to the buoys. I probably tacked on another 50-100m by swimming out away from them.
Transition 1
  • 02m 46s
Comments:

LOVED the wetsuit strippers!! They were great. They had my suit off in a matter of seconds, whereas it would have taken me a couple of minutes! :) Good transition for me. I had a long way to run to my bike, but I was able to get there pretty quickly.

I was 4/17 for T1.

Nothing that I can think of.
Bike
  • 1h 03m 42s
  • 22 miles
  • 20.72 mile/hr
Comments:

Missed the #1 bike split in my age group by :18 seconds. So, I am VEry pleased with this part of the race. :) The bike is definitely my strength out of the three. I didn't realize, until Craig (docshock) pointed out to me later, how VERY little I drank on the bike. My aerobottle was still pretty much full at the end. I guess I need to be more aware of my drinking. I usually drink quite a bit during my training rides, so I must have just been too focussed on other things and forgot during the race. I'll do better next time! :) I did take a gu, as planned. Everyne who knows me, knows how SICK of the wind I have been lately; so today's wind didn't make me very happy. But, everyone else had to suffer the same as me (except for that one girl that I saw drafting the entire way to past the turn around), so I sucked it up. I was just thankful that I wasn't doing the HIM.

I did better than my projected goal time. :)

Drink more! Other than that, I am pleased with my effort level and pace.
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

I was a little slower than I thought I would be, but I still did 6/17 for T2. So, that's not too bad.

Put my shoes on a little faster and put my race belt on as I'm running out of transition instead of at my bike.
Run
  • 1h 01m 18s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Awful run!!! After about the first mile, I developed a side cramp. I haven't had one of those since I first started running. It was a stabbing pain that I just couldn't get rid of! I would walk and stretch my mid section to help ease it. It would feel a little better, but as soon as I would start to run again, then it would flair back up. So, I would run as long as I could tolerate it and then walk again. I had to do that until it finally went away right before I got to the turn around. By that time, my legs were completely exhausted, so I kept up the run/walk pattern. I think the if I hadn't had to walk so much for the side cramps, I would have been able to get into my typical running rhythm. But,the starting and stopping seemed to make me feel the fatigue more than usual. I came in way behind my planned run goal time! :(

Regardless of the run, I am very pleased with my overall race. I did the best I could with the circumstances.

I have always heard that your breathing is what causes side cramps, but my breathing was good all along. So, the only other factor that might have brought them on was the not having enough to drink on the bike. Maybe I was a little dehydrated. So, I will make sure that I am well hydrated before my run.
Post race
Warm down:

I didn't do much of a cool down. I walked around little and did a little stretching. I mostly stood around talking to fellow BTers and others that I knew, and waiting to see my husband, Raegan (rgill), and other BTers doing the HIM come in on their bikes, head out for the run, and finish!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My side cramps on the run.

Event comments:

The one area in need of improvement would be the post race food. They didn't have anything except for bananas, oranges, bagels, and some pretzels. That's fine for a short race, but my husband and all of the others doing the HIM should definitely had more to refuel with than that!

I really enjoyed meeting and talking with all of the BTers that I just knew online. It really makes the race atmosphere fun when you can cheer on others with a group. It was nice getting to know each of you and look forward to seeing you at other events! :)

Last updated: 2007-02-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:31 | 1500 meters | 02m 18s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/17
Overall: 0/
Performance:
avg HR= 168 This was a little on the high side for a swim, but I never felt out of breath.
Suit: sleeveless Orca wetsuit
Course: Out and back in Lake Caroline
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:46
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:03:42 | 22 miles | 20.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/17
Performance: Good
Avg HR= 181/ Max HR- 190 This is actually on the low side for a hard bike. I usually would have avged about my AT (185) on my hard rides.
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Nice course. Would have been a very fast course if the winds weren't present!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:34
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:01:18 | 06.2 miles | 09m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/17
Performance: Bad
avg HR=177/ max HR= 191 This was on the low side, too. Usually my avg would be in the 180s.
Course: Nice course with a couple of small hills. The run on the trail was nice and shaded.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-23 11:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Subject: Playtri Olympic

2007-04-23 2:29 PM
in reply to: #772888

User image

Subject: RE: Playtri Olympic

You are like a guided cruise missile on the bike!!!  You were so focused on haulin' a$$ that you forgot to drink!!!  Since you and your Felt S22 are "like one", you must come up with a name for your machine.

Good race Sue, good race...

2007-04-23 4:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
My goodness your bike was fast!!!  Way to go!!  Great race!
2007-04-23 5:24 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

Awesome job, Sue!! That was a rockin' bike split.  Really sorry to hear about the side cramp, though I'm somewhat relieved I'm not the only one who's been sidelined mid-race by an out-of-the-blue cramp like that.

Thanks for hanging around to cheer us on; I really appreciated the extra support.  It was great to meet you and chat afterwards.   Hopefully we'll see you at more races and get some group outings / training organized.

2007-04-23 7:43 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Great to meet you and Reagan. It was so nice having folks to chat with before and after the race. It really helped ease my nerves. I was remembering a tri I did in Burnet where the whole time we stood in the water waiting to start I was just getting more and more nervous. Thanks for chatting pre-race as it helped calm my nerves.

You had an AWESOME race, sorry about the side cramp. Definitely sounds like a hydration issue. I need to take some lessons from you on transition time! How do you get out so fast?

2007-04-23 9:02 PM

User image

, Texas
Incredible race Sue. Good job taking your space and remaining strong in the swim. And that bike split is just amazing, especially with the wind out there.

2007-04-23 10:00 PM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Woohoo, Sue!  Great race despite the wind and side cramps!  Hope to see you again soon!
2007-04-24 12:12 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Dang, girl, you smoked the ride!  I wanna party with you.  Well, we did, kind of.  Great to meet you and Reagan at the dinner and to hook up both before and after the race.  Nice to have folks you know to visit with instead of the random, nervous, other participants.

Congrats to Reagan for a great HIM, too.

db

2007-04-24 7:23 AM

User image

Champion
Good job, Sue.  That's a hell of a bike.
2007-04-25 11:28 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
It was great to meet you and rgill on Sunday. When I am doing training rides in your neighborhood, I will be looking over my shoulder for you whizzing by me. You are a fast biker. Excellent race.
2007-04-25 7:59 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

That's a great bike ride you had!  Wow!  And you ride a Felt S22.  So do I.  I love that bike.

Nice meeting you and Reagan.  See ya at the races.

TJ

2007-04-25 9:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Great job Sue! All of your hard work really paid off. Those windy training rides we cursed through set you up for a lightning fast bike pace! Maybe the wind is your friend! Congratulations on an awesome race!
2007-04-26 9:34 PM
in reply to: #776972

User image

Champion
the colony texas
way to fly on the bike during a windy morning ..

2007-04-27 12:00 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
It was nice meeting you briefly.  Congrats on a great race!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Playtri Olympic Rss Feed