Northeast Ohio Running Club
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 98/157
Age Group = F45-49
Age Group Rank = 9/12
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5am to do farm chores. Decided to go ahead and eat a toasted english muffin with peanut butter even though the plan was to pig out on pancakes after the race. I ate at 5:30am and the race didn't start until 8:30am so the timing was good.
Event warmup:

Watched the start of the 1 mile race. Portapotty X 2. Met up with Sue and her family. Decided to go to the car and change from my runnning tights into shorts. Glad I did! Jogged around Chardon's town square with Sue for about 10 minutes. Light stretching.
Run
  • 46m 20s
  • 5 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I had not run this race before, but Sue and her husband ran it last year. Sue's goal was just to beat her time from last year. I wrote down the mile splits for a 9:15 pace which would bring us in about 1 minute ahead of Sue's time from last year. I stuffed the piece of paper with the splits in my shorts pocket and referred to it during the race. Oh and the weather was so nice that this was my first run of the year in shorts!

Sue's husband of course left us from the very beginning while Sue and I settled into a nice comfortable pace. Our goal was to do the first mile under 10:00 and we did it in 9:37. Yay! The next two miles we picked it up some and by mile 3, we were only 3 seconds off a 9:15 pace. Yay again! The next mile had the biggest hill and we lost a little ground. The last mile was still mostly going up, but not as steeply. We did negative split mile 5 compared to mile 4. I really started feeling it that last mile. Had a little tinge of "I think I'm going to puke" feeling toward the end, but not too bad. I was "talking" (kind of) with the spectators cheering us(thank you's mostly). Then I decided if I could actually talk to people the last little bit of the race then I wasn't working hard enough. The last couple tenths of a mile were uphill and I mustered everything I had to pass an older guy in front of me. Once I passed him, I was worried I had started my push too soon, but I just kept running up the hill as hard as I could and beat him by a couple seconds. Sue was a couple seconds behind that.

Cool things. Out and back courses are fun because you get to see the front runners. The first overall female was 4th overall when we saw her. My husband was at the finish line and said she finished 3rd overall. How cool is that! It was fun passing Sue's husband and the two of them high fived as they passed. At the turnaround, the guys were blasting polka music which was a riot! Sue and I passed A LOT of people. After the first 1/2 mile or so, I don't think anyone passed us. Amazing how many people start out fast and have to walk at the end or slow WAY down. I know I'll be one of them someday because I do want to start a race at a faster pace someday as an experiment. I always seem to have too much left at the end. Still, it is very cool to be picking people off one by one.

What would you do differently?:

Not a dang thing. My first 5 mile run since injuring my achilles tendon last summer.
Post race
Warm down:

I immediately looked around for water at the end. As soon as I got out of the chute, a nice young man (Sue's son) handed me a bottle of water. That was absolutely the highlight of the whole race!!!!!! Thank you Charlie!!!!

Walked around the square for awhile. More stretching. All they had was cookies and water after the race, but with the festival going on, there was any kind of greasy fair food that you could ever want.

I still like the suggestion that Ron adds a choice to the post race massage drop down selection that says "I wish". heehee!

Stayed for the awards and Sue's husband finished just out of the awards in his age group. 4th place though was way cool!

I am just amazed at the speedy women in our age group. I figured a 9:15 pace would put us in the middle, but instead we were almost at the very back. Only two 45-49 year old age group women finished behind us. I think that is VERY cool that there are that many 45-49 year old women out there that are running a pace of sub 8:00 or just slightly slower.

The pancake tent was overwhelmingly crowded so my husband and I drove to a Perkins restaurant and I had my pancakes there!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Middle aged, newbie, coming off an injury.

Event comments:

I really liked this run. The course was very pretty and the rolling hills provided a challenge that wasn't too overwhelming.

Last updated: 2007-04-15 12:00 AM
Running
00:46:20 | 05 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/12
Overall: 98/157
Performance: Good
Mile 1 - 9:37, Mile 2 - 9:04, Mile 3 - 9:07, Mile 4 - 9:22 (evil hill, not huge, just evil), Mile 5 - 9:10 (more uphill, but not as evil)
Course: Out and back course on the streets north of town. Started at Chardon, Ohio town square. The race is part of the 4 day Maple Festival festivities so the square had been blocked off to traffic. The town sits on top of a hill. The course was rolling, but had a net elevation loss on the way out and net gain on the way back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-04-23 12:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
northeast Ohio
Subject: The Maple Sap Run

2007-04-23 1:17 PM
in reply to: #772929

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio
Subject: RE: The Maple Sap Run

What a FANTASTIC race Diane!  You've come so far and have so much to be proud of!  Great job sticking to the plan.  I always love that no matter what happens, you have a great time in your races.  That's what it's all about!

YOU ROCK!!!

2007-04-23 2:15 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

Good job, you ran the race you had planned out.  That is always the best way to do it.

So next time you can go out faster, and see how long you can hold on.

2007-04-23 2:25 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-04-23 2:36 PM

Champion
MA

9:15 m/m is excellant!

Us in the 45-49 cat. have no control who shows up to race with us...be proud you brought Sue in a minute faster than last year.

Man I'd love to run that fast for a 5miler...maybe ...just maybe this year.

Congrats on a fun and well executed race. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Maple Sap Run Rss Feed