Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Giving Money to Homeless Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

Giving Money to Homeless
OptionResults
Yes - I give money to all1 Votes - [2.33%]
Maybe -- Depends on my mood or if I have a change18 Votes - [41.86%]
Maybe - Depends on how the person asks3 Votes - [6.98%]
No - It only enables their lifestyle. Want money - get a job.21 Votes - [48.84%]

2007-04-23 5:27 PM
in reply to: #773338

User image

Buttercup
Subject: RE: Giving Money to Homeless

There, but for the grace of god...

I had lucky birth circumstances in that I have my mental and physical health and freedom to pursue my life as I see fit. I'm not going to look down my nose at those who, for whatever reason, find living on the mean streets their best or only option.

2007-04-23 5:41 PM
in reply to: #773527

User image

Expert
Sherman Oaks, CA
Renee - 2007-04-23 3:27 PM

There, but for the grace of god...

I had lucky birth circumstances in that I have my mental and physical health and freedom to pursue my life as I see fit. I'm not going to look down my nose at those who, for whatever reason, find living on the mean streets their best or only option.

Not looking down on them, but how to deal with them.

Rogillo had an interesting point is that they are going to find ways to live. So, you give them a few bucks so they don't steal out of your house. I hate feeling hijacked.

It is also NIMBY syndrome. They are in Santa Monica because the other cities kick them out (you don't see it in Beverly Hills.) So, you have a large congregation of homeless in one area and it stands out.
2007-04-23 6:11 PM

User image

I like dating homeless guys cause they do not have phones and can't call me all the time.
Only the strong survive so let them freeze and starve to death.
I donate some time every year to working at the local food bank and with under privalaged kids.

When I see them I try to avoid them cause they are gross. I do not want to give them money them every time they see me they come a runnen with those dirty hands out.
2007-04-23 6:19 PM

Champion

GolfMark - 2007-04-23 4:33 PM IMy policy is pretty much to ignore them. I think that if you give them money it will encourage them to ask you every day. And it will also encourage them to not get a job.

Panhandling is their job.

2007-04-23 6:26 PM
in reply to: #773578

User image

Expert
Conifer, Colorado
Janet - Your response is truly disgusting.

Edited by DickDime 2007-04-23 6:27 PM
2007-04-23 6:39 PM
in reply to: #773591

User image

Champion
Alabama
max - 2007-04-23 6:19 PM

GolfMark - 2007-04-23 4:33 PM IMy policy is pretty much to ignore them. I think that if you give them money it will encourage them to ask you every day. And it will also encourage them to not get a job.

So easy a caveman can do it?

2007-04-23 6:51 PM

User image

Elite
Reno

I don't think that refusing to give money to "professional" panhandlers is the same as not thinking it right to help homeless people.   I am fortunate, others need help.   I have given sometimes, but normally do not.

My husband believes in his obligation of almsgiving and is way more likely to give money to those who ask.

2007-04-23 6:54 PM

User image

Master
Savannah,

I am a grant writer for an organization whose mission it is to end and prevent homelessness. We do this by systematically removing the barriers that keep people homeless....health care, mental illness, addiction, and life skills.  If it were as simple as just getting a job, there would be no homeless. Most people are homeless for one of the above reasons PLUS they have no support systems...burned bridges, etc.

Last year we ended homelessness for 611 men, women and children through our programs.  But they have to want to take an active part in their lifestyle change....we charge rent, we drug test, and during the day they either need to be in our hospital, rehab, job training, or a job. 

As far as the guys on the street, that's a personal decision.  Most of the homeless here know me so they just say hi.  But I give more often than not......what are they probably doing with the money?  Drugs and alcohol.  Does it say anywhere that I should be the judge of who is worthy and who isn't?  My responsibility is to give if I think they need, and if they are scamming me, then the responsibility shifts to them....they have to answer for that, I just have to answer for being kind.  Can you give to everyone?  No.  Is it okay to be a chump?  No.  Should you take crap for not giving?  No.  Like I said, it's a personal decision to be decided on a case by case basis.

But the best rule of thumb for giving comes from my grandma.....do a kind deed for someone daily and keep it to yourself...tell no one.  I like this. 

2007-04-23 7:03 PM
in reply to: #773578

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Scrufffeee,

Please tell me this was an attempt at humor that just came out all wrong..... 

scrufffeee - 2007-04-23 4:11 PM I like dating homeless guys cause they do not have phones and can't call me all the time. Only the strong survive so let them freeze and starve to death. I donate some time every year to working at the local food bank and with under privalaged kids. When I see them I try to avoid them cause they are gross. I do not want to give them money them every time they see me they come a runnen with those dirty hands out.

2007-04-23 7:09 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-04-23 7:09 PM
in reply to: #773654

Champion
South Jersey

I haven't read thru this whole thread, but I did want to comment on what I do.

I don't give homeless people money, but I do give homeless people food.

Once I was walking through Philly, and I literally only a had a $20 bill on me and my ID. I guess I looked like I was definitely carrying some cash, so a homeless guy approached me for money. I told him I didn't have any (I really didn't - there was no way I could have given him my $20 bill because then I'd be stuck without money), but he didn't believe me. So, he called me a b!tch and spit at me. (Fortunately, I managed to duck out of the way and not get hit --- thank goodness!!!)

I did interview a homeless person once for an article I was writing. It was really kinda cool to hear his story and how he got to where he is. If anyone has ever been around a homeless person (or homeless people), I think they would stay clear of making a blanket statement that they should all or are all capable of having jobs and making money themselves. It's not as easy as one would think and bringing one out of that hole of homelessness and into a position where he/she's making money (no matter how crummy the job) can be a long and difficult process.

Edited by LaurenSU02 2007-04-23 7:11 PM

2007-04-23 7:15 PM

Master
San Diego, CA

I have to say that I am not consistent in my approach to this.

I don't always respond by giving anything. Other times, I will give a little change. Other times I will give anywhere from $1-$20 if I feel led to do so. On occasion, I have only agreed to buy a meal for the person instead of giving money (usually fastfood). Once I invited a couple into a nice restaurant and we all ordered a nice meal. They could have been scamming me, but I didn't care at that point...it wasn't the issue. I wanted to do something for them.

I have occasionally donated time at shelters, or made a bunch of sandwiches up and handed them out downtown.

I will say I often have a hardtime going dowtown socially now, because its a just a couple blocks from where I know there are a ton of people sleeping on the sidewalk, and preparing to make it through another night (regardless of their reasons for being there).

It makes me sad sometimes. Other times I can be very indifferent/hard about it. That bothers me in itself...

I'm not always Mr. Niceguy, and I am far from being a pushover.

I read a good book called "Under The Bridge" about a couple of guys who decided to step away from the "good lives" and live on the streets for a year in order to see the situation from the ground level. Good book.

Someone else mentioned the Will Smith movie (The Pursuit of Happiness). After seeing that movie I felt like giving $20 to the first needy person I met - no questions asked. The other worrisome thing is how temporary that mindset was.....

Dan

Edited by dhyte 2007-04-23 7:18 PM
2007-04-24 6:52 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-04-24 7:27 AM

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

When I worked in Atlanta, I always brown bagged my lunch but would still go "out" to lunch with the group.  At least 2-3 times per week I would be asked for money on our way to lunch.  Every time I either offered them my lunch or told them I would buy them lunch.  Only 2 times did I ever get taken up on it!

The coolest one was at IM Wisconsin, I was coming back from a practice swim and a homeless guy asked me what was going on.  After I explained to him IM, I gave him my Gatorade Endurance that I was about to open up. (Free from the swim).  I saw him sipping on that all day long when I walked by him 3 times later.  I ended up giving him 3 more that night. 

But my point is that if they say they are hungry and you offer them food and they refuse...
If they say they need $9 for a place to stay and you offer them up your couch and they refuse....(I did this last week)

I think for the majority, it's a choice.  McDonald's isn't going to call you back, they are going to hire you on the spot and then you have a job.  Use the programs that are available or live with your choices.  Note: this does not apply to the minority that have legitimate problems (mental, etc)

2007-04-24 7:31 AM

Crystal Lake, IL
2007-04-24 8:04 AM

Champion
Alabama

I would say that, by definition, anyone who is out on the streets begging for money has mental issues of one sort or another. It's very easy to assume they are just lazy and no account and justify in our minds that they would 'just blow the money on drugs and alcohol' but so what? What if one more bottle of MD 20/20 is what it's gonna take for them to make it through another day?

I have been blessed with much and I think much is expected of me too. When I was younger I'd pass up the beggars with a sneer and tell them to "Get a job!" but at some point it came to me that these are just people struggling through life the best they know how. God has a lot of bad, lazy, hurting, drug-abusing, alcoholic, cheating, lying children but He loves them all. I refuse to take one look at someone and draw a conclusion about neediness and their entire life 10 seconds - I'm gonna give them the benefit of the doubt.

The idea of offering them only food sounds nice but maybe they don't need food. Maybe they are going though DTs and just need hit of heroine or a shot of whiskey to make sleeping on the ground a little more bearable and less humiliating. Or maybe they'd like to be able to walk into Burger King and order a Whopper for themselves so they feel a modicum of dignity and normalcy in their otherwise screwed up life.

BTW Possum, you surprise me. An apply and a PBJ is a fry cry from "walking across glass".

~Mike

2007-04-24 8:15 AM

Pro
Well, even though the poor choose to be poor, I still give some money sometimes.

What I prefer to do is give food and chat. If I gave to every person who asked, I would soon not have anything left to give. Having worked in the psych ward of a hospital, I noticed how many homeless are actually mentally ill. Also, I don't judge alcoholics and drug addicts. If I give money to somebody, it is unconditional.

Biggest shock of this thread: Mike breaks ranks with the Conservative establishment to give to the homeless, and generously at that! Good job Mike!
2007-04-24 8:19 AM
in reply to: #773591

Master
San Mateo, CA
max - 2007-04-23 4:19 PM

Word! It's not unheard of for panhandlers in SF to make $300+/day standing on the corner looking scruffy and holding a sign.
2007-04-24 8:43 AM

Master
ohmigod. mike, i completely agree with you. cue the four horsemen of the apocalypse.

and i'll say this for the third time, 2 out of 5 people who experience homelessness are children, and nearly half of those children are under the age of 5. they have no "choice" in the matter.

and i'll say this for the second time, 15-25% of the homeless actually have jobs. and even mcdonalds requires you to give them an address and phone number on the application. so it's not that simple.
2007-04-24 8:51 AM

Elite
Venture Industries,

Yes I give.  I'm always skeptical about what they will do with the money, but my thought is that perhaps my gift will be the one that makes a difference in their lives.  I certainly would hate to think that not giving my pocket change hurt someone.

Perhaps, the time I smile, say hello, acknowledge that this person is a human being, and give the spare change in my pocket, perhaps...just perhaps that will be the factor that gives a person a measure of strength; and if it isn't, what damage has the act done?

2007-04-24 9:02 AM
in reply to: #774190

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
ASA22 -

Perhaps, the time I smile, say hello, acknowledge that this person is a human being...

Mother Teresa was once asked how she felt about the continuing increase in poverty in Calcutta despite all of her efforts.

She said something like, "What, you think this is about success? This is not about success, this is about faith."

We are our brother's/sister's keeper and we always need to acknowledge their humanity. That's the most important thing, I think.

Sometimes the most Christlike material response is an apple. When given in love, who knows the grace that may flow from that gift.

(and I also think Mike's Christian charity is consistent with his conservative beliefs... he believes in personal responsibility, and he is taking personal responsibility for the pain of his fellow human beings...)

Edited by dontracy 2007-04-24 9:03 AM

2007-04-24 9:44 AM
in reply to: #774115

Got Wahoo?
San Antonio
Rogillio - 2007-04-24 7:04 AM 

BTW Possum, you surprise me. An apply and a PBJ is a fry cry from "walking across glass".

~Mike

You don't judge the beggar, but the worthiness of Possum's gift?

2007-04-24 10:24 AM
in reply to: #774208

Champion
Chicago

Mother Teresa was once asked how she felt about the continuing increase in poverty in Calcutta despite all of her efforts.

She said something like, "What, you think this is about success? This is not about success, this is about faith."

We are our brother's/sister's keeper and we always need to acknowledge their humanity. That's the most important thing, I think.

Sometimes the most Christlike material response is an apple. When given in love, who knows the grace that may flow from that gift.

(and I also think Mike's Christian charity is consistent with his conservative beliefs... he believes in personal responsibility, and he is taking personal responsibility for the pain of his fellow human beings...)

See maybe that's my problem -- I'm not the keeper of the homeless. I have to go out and work hard every day for what I have and I'll be damned if I'm giving it away to someone who doesn't deserve it. Like I said I donate to cancer research, the Humane Society and several other charities. My family is a big donor to a boys home that helps young men try to steer their lives in the right direction so they don't end up on the streets. I think that's what we need more of -- prevention. Again, it's my contention that if we eliminate the problem before it starts then we'll have many fewer homeless.

The U.S. is a very reactive society. We always react to problems before stepping in before they become a problem. Homelessness is no exception. We have millions of people who are homeless yet we waste our resources on handing over money to the people who ARE going to spend it on booze or drugs or cigarettes (they're never short of smokes). Instead we could give that money to prevention programs such as the one for which a previous poster said she worked.
2007-04-24 10:31 AM
in reply to: #774313

Champion
Alabama
tmwelshy - 2007-04-24 9:44 AM
Rogillio - 2007-04-24 7:04 AM 

~Mike

You don't judge the beggar, but the worthiness of Possum's gift?

I don't judge the worthiness of anyone's gift. I'm just trying to reconcile the apparent inconsistency in Possum stating the other day that she would walk across glass to help someone she didn't know but then saying she would not give any money to a beggar on the street. Then again, maybe an apple is just what the homeless need.

~Mike

2007-04-24 10:35 AM

COURT JESTER
ROCKFORD, IL
When I worked Washington D.C. I had to go to a meeting and took the wrong exit from the subway to the surface and no clue where I was going.  As I walked along, a guy sitting on a milk crate was asking for a handout, and I ignored his request for about two steps before stopping.  The quick thought that made me stop is he probably knows his way around.  So I gave him a couple of bucks if he gave me directions.  He did.  I did.  And the directions were correct.  Good trade.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Giving Money to Homeless Rss Feed  

of 4